You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Ahab1776

One narrow one wide

8 comments in this topic

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,789 posts
16,929 battles

Just have been experimenting with zone denial torpedo spreads while driving a USN DD. I've begin doing one narrow followed immediately by one wide at the start of a game at RD readings at caps and have had positive results. Anyone else put out spreads like this?

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,119 posts
14,728 battles

you can probably get the same effect by firing two narrow spreads on slightly different angles.

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,751 battles
7 hours ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Just have been experimenting with zone denial torpedo spreads while driving a USN DD. I've begin doing one narrow followed immediately by one wide at the start of a game at RD readings at caps and have had positive results. Anyone else put out spreads like this?

Sometimes.

I don't have RPF, so I'm not having the success you are having...

...but I find sometimes find success with the wide first to get them to initiate a turn favorable for the narrow spread.

Bear in mind this is not at tiers with radar.

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,619 posts
10,480 battles

Fire at zones where you most likely think that an enemy ship might go at the start of the game.  It's mostly luck when it comes to random spreads.  You try to bait your enemy into thinking they dodged one rack, when all of a sudden another appears and their ship is no longer in a position to properly avoid them. 

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,789 posts
16,929 battles
11 minutes ago, Murcc said:

You try to bait your enemy into thinking they dodged one rack, when all of a sudden another appears and their ship is no longer in a position to properly avoid them. 

this

Yep the narrow spread gets them to either start moving and the wide spread is the "gotcha" spread.  Sometimes they see the first volley and bow in but the gap is filled quickly with the wide volley.

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,909 posts
12,318 battles

With this kind of behavior, WG should simply implement naval mines so the global torpedo hit rate will increase.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,789 posts
16,929 battles
5 minutes ago, Crokodone said:

With this kind of behavior, WG should simply implement naval mines so the global torpedo hit rate will increase.

Had three games that started out like this one narrow one wide. First Blood

favorite way to see red dd's_LI.jpg

[WORX]
Members
11,394 posts
19,183 battles

IMO, quads launchers and up are good for using the wide and narrow technique..

Triples and Doubles launchers not so much.... The spread for these don't have the wide area coverage OR their space in between torps is to wide.