You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheDooblecaine

What happened here?

26 comments in this topic

Members
5 posts
46 battles

Somehow the game claims I shot myself even though I don't see how that happened.  I even received a penalty for it!  I did deploy torpedoes, but as you can see in the video they were far away and going in another direction when I spontaneously combusted.

• Funny 1

Members
1,306 posts
7,142 battles

You hit the friendly cruiser with your torps which triggered teamkill penalties. Once you inflict enough team damage damage you inflict to allies is reflected back to you. 

Also just a tip when you're in a DD don't shoot AP at other DDs. HE is the vastly more effective ammo type in a DD vs DD engagement. There are certain cases where this will change but you won't have to worry about them for a while. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers
3,252 posts
9,723 battles

You have your own teammate (a division mate at that) that was 3km in front of you and you still launched torps?

Geez wouldn't even surprise me that the div mate would either leave the div or kick you right after that battle.

• Boring 3

[WOLFG]
Members
10,684 posts
9,900 battles
1 minute ago, Vader_Sama said:

You have your own teammate (a division mate at that) that was 3km in front of you and you still launched torps?

Geez wouldn't even surprise me that the div mate would either leave the div or kick you right after that battle.

Psst.  He has 28 games.

• Cool 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,084 posts
22,649 battles

You've been a naughty skipper damaging friendlies so much that you now get any damage on your team applied to you. 

I can believe it the way you launched those torps.

Edited by Khafni

[WOLFG]
Members
10,684 posts
9,900 battles

OP, as has been said, if you do enough damage to a teammate, you start reflecting damage you do to other ships back upon yourself.

striking your div mate with torps was enough to cause your own destruction.

Members
5 posts
46 battles
8 minutes ago, Rocketpacman said:

You hit the friendly cruiser with your torps which triggered teamkill penalties. Once you inflict enough team damage damage you inflict to allies is reflected back to you. 

Also just a tip when you're in a DD don't shoot AP at other DDs. HE is the vastly more effective ammo type in a DD vs DD engagement. There are certain cases where this will change but you won't have to worry about them for a while. 

Ahh.  Oops!  haha.  I thought they would clear him and it wouldn't be an issue. 

Thank you for the explanation and the tip on ammo type.

Members
5 posts
46 battles
6 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Sure.  The torpedoes move pretty fast and he was (I thought at the time) banking left so there would be a window for them to go through.     Obviously, from the outcome, I miscalculated.

Accidents happen.  This is only my second day of play.

[WORX]
Members
11,452 posts
19,196 battles

You hit a follow Clemson according to the notification above the map... (at the 45-51 sec mark of the video)

You should never shot torps with friendly in front...

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,436 posts
4,198 battles
1 minute ago, TheDooblecaine said:

Ahh.  Oops!  haha.  I thought they would clear him and it wouldn't be an issue. 

Thank you for the explanation and the tip on ammo type.

People have pretty much nailed it. Basic rule of thumb for torps is if anyone is in front of you don't launch. And that means off to the side, 10 km away. Basically if it physically possible for the torps to hit a friendly, don't launch the torps. That launch there was really bad, they were going to be close even if he didn't turn, and if he turned right, well RIP. Remember, you are always responsible for your torps.

And yes, that clearly wasn't your first time, as the TK penalty kicked in, reflected the damage, and you went boom. I thought damage to div mates didn't count, but that must have changed.

Also, AP is almost never the optimal ammo choice for DDs. Except on lightly armored broadside targets at close range HE is superior. Also, you can zoom a lot faster using the shift key. Don't scroll zoom, it's slow and is painful to watch.

Good luck as you move up the tech trees!:Smile_honoring:

[CNO]
Members
6,083 posts
18,555 battles
9 minutes ago, TheDooblecaine said:

Sure.  The torpedoes move pretty fast and he was (I thought at the time) banking left so there would be a window for them to go through.     Obviously, from the outcome, I miscalculated.

T4 is a learning tier.  You've learned two important things.  Banking on torps clearing a friendly in front is usually a bad bet.  Reflected damage can be devastating.  

We've all been there in one way or another.  Apply that knowledge going forward, and you'll be a better player from it.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,063 posts

also notice torps have two spread widths, you were using the wide vs the narrow one which may have missed the friendly

press 3 again to select between them

• Cool 1

Members
5 posts
46 battles
20 minutes ago, Ozium said:

also notice torps have two spread widths, you were using the wide vs the narrow one which may have missed the friendly

Nice point that I didn't know, between all the posts where everyone else is repeating what has already be said in the first couple of posts.  I'll look into that.  Thank you

btw that just worked beautifully in the next match.  Last boat standing and we were behind -- I ended a battleship with a tight spread of torps close up after a lot of careful sniping then blasted a weakened ddg.   cool.

2020-01-18 22_08_54-Greenshot.png

Edited by TheDooblecaine

SuperTest Coordinator, Volunteer Moderator, Privateers
41 posts
207 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

T4 is a learning tier.  You've learned two important things.  Banking on torps clearing a friendly in front is usually a bad bet.  Reflected damage can be devastating.  

We've all been there in one way or another.  Apply that knowledge going forward, and you'll be a better player from it.

Soshi summed it up pretty good!

[NWOC]
[NWOC]
Members
1,035 posts
12,653 battles
2 hours ago, TheDooblecaine said:

Yup, learn from your mistakes, good luck and have fun buddy. 

[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
1,098 posts

Remember boys and girls !!!!! Once the fish leave those tubes, they are no longer yours or anyone elses friends.

You hit the friendly crusier on your left. TK damage was added to your ship and poof!!!! Surprise  self detonation.

Always launch your fish on targets in front of you or where you are 100% certain you won't hit anyone else on your team.

GL and GH ....:Smile_honoring:

Edited by Versili

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
4 hours ago, TheDooblecaine said:

Somehow the game claims I shot myself even though I don't see how that happened.  I even received a penalty for it!  I did deploy torpedoes, but as you can see in the video they were far away and going in another direction when I spontaneously combusted.

I knew what you did just by reading the subject of your original post. Didn't even have to watch the video heh. 

Edited by Vaffu

[PSP]
Members
548 posts
5,040 battles

I was pink for many a game until I learned my torps were my responsibility.

Never take a chance firing torps if your teammates have even the remotest chance of sailing in front of them. Chances are your teammates are already occupied with other things … like fighting the enemy. They don't need the added problem of looking behind them!

[PIMPS]
Members
1,778 posts

Don't set your tits on fire it was just Clemson no big deal.

You will know you have arrived in alpha pinkdom when playing a Yoshino. Until then its all just learning from mistakes.

Edited by Chain_shot
  • Cool 1

[TORCH]
Members
624 posts
16,376 battles
9 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:
10 hours ago, TheDooblecaine said:

Soshi has it right.  But don't feel too bad, OP.  I have over 5,000 games and I didn't know about the reflected damage thing.  I've damaged allies before, but I guess I never did that much damage.  The learning obviously doesn't stop at T4.  For some of us.

Don't worry about having made a mistake.  EVERYBODY in this game makes mistakes. The most important thing here is that you learned something, and that you use that knowledge to do better in future battles.  If you've done that, you can division with me any time.

Members
925 posts
4,023 battles
10 hours ago, TheDooblecaine said:

OP, welcome aboard.  You did do one thing absolutely correct!  You came to the forums and asked a question and importantly included a video of the issue to help other players answer it.  In this game the learning curve for most players is a long and for the most part the forums are a good place for new player guidance and suggestions on where more in depth info can be found.   Have fun!  

[SRPH]
Members
103 posts
1,700 battles

And sometimes you get it even when you launch with no one anywhere close, if you have slow, long range Italian torpedoes. Seen it a lot. You launch...then someone changes course and runs into their path way down the line and boom. 

[WOLFG]
Members
30,750 posts
9,354 battles
11 hours ago, TheDooblecaine said:

It seems like you learned a lesson. That puts you ahead of some players with thousands of games lol.

Plus, it wasn't that you didn't care or weren't paying attention.

People will tell you to NEVER fire torps if they could possibly hot a friendly. I disagree.

Just get better at assessing the risks, (should come with time) and apologise if you screw up. 

Everybody who uses torps has hit a friendly at least once. Stuff happens, and it's not a big deal as long as you don't make a habit of it, or complain about being penalised.

• Cool 1