You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kishan99

Any tips with dd for torp range less than detection?

28 comments in this topic

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles

Hey there...  Are there any tips on playing dds with short torpedo ranges?   I was really struggling with the Pan Asia (i think) tier VI dd.   The range of the torps is like 6.2 but my detection is 6.8.  I really want to play dds but I really suck at it.

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
2 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

Hey there...  Are there any tips on playing dds with short torpedo ranges?   I was really struggling with the Pan Asia (i think) tier VI dd.   The range of the torps is like 6.2 but my detection is 6.8.  I really want to play dds but I really suck at it.

Use islands and ambush ships when possible.

Fire torps at ships from outside your detection range that are moving towards you so they "crash" into your torps.

Get close to a ship that is spotted by others on your team then smoke up and launch torps.

• Cool 1

[USCG]
Members
670 posts
21,406 battles
6 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

Fire torps at ships from outside your detection range that are moving towards you so they "crash" into your torps.

Get close to a ship that is spotted by others on your team then smoke up and launch torps.

This ^^^^

[FORM]
Members
1,826 posts
12,172 battles

In addition to the great suggestions Vaffu made... I would add in, don't rely on torps to do the work, you're a gunship ;)

• Cool 1

[TAFFY]
Members
136 posts
13,644 battles

if you want long torp ranges and short detection ranges, you might want to change to japanese dd's. 

[GGWP]
Members
7,115 posts
16,390 battles

Yeah, in dds like that, I use my guns and if the opportunity to use torps presents itself, I'll use them. But I typically don't go out trying to use my torps first. 

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles
22 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

I will def. try this

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles
11 minutes ago, vallonzek said:

if you want long torp ranges and short detection ranges, you might want to change to japanese dd's.  

That is why I actually started with the Japanese dd line.   When I started, i saw the Shima had 20km range torps and was like hell ya!   Now I am realizing it isn't so great because the torpedo detection range is high on them.  I am on the tier IX and just realized it haha.  So I decided to try out the deep water torps

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
Just now, kishan99 said:

I will def. try this

I forgot to add in my original reply to make sure you do not target the ship you want to launch torps at with your guns first because as soon as you take your guns off and target with torps they will know.

Always target ships you want to launch torps at with torpedos only until after you launch.

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
1 minute ago, kishan99 said:

That is why I actually started with the Japanese dd line.   When I started, i saw the Shima had 20km range torps and was like hell ya!   Now I am realizing it isn't so great because the torpedo detection range is high on them.  I am on the tier IX and just realized it haha.  So I decided to try out the deep water torps

20 KM torps are the worst torps you can possibly use.  They are slow and will miss your target more than they will hit them.

You want fast torpedoes and you want to launch them from as close as possible like right on the edge of your detection range.

For example, if you have 6km detect you want to launch your torps from 6.1 km if you can and still remain unspotted.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
4,796 posts
16,934 battles

If conventional torpedos, another use for them is knife fighting. If you are nimble enough to shoot a volley of torpedos and then resume firing guns at the other DD. The combination of torpedo alert plus getting machine-gunned by rapid fire DD rounds. Could be the edge to take out your adversary. They may turn to get away from your guns and go broadside into a wall of skill coming at them.

Edited by Capt_Ahab1776

[REVY]
Members
2,500 posts
13,406 battles
52 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

48 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

40 minutes ago, TheArc said:

In addition to the great suggestions Vaffu made... I would add in, don't rely on torps to do the work, you're a gunship ;)

Pan-Asian DD are a tricky line to learn due to the Deep Water Torps. For the most part, you are a gunship. You can't knife fight another DD as they know your torps can't hurt them.

Vaffu is correct. You need to surprise them from behind islands. Or torp them where they will be just outside of your detection range, but sailing into your torp range. 90% of the time that will mean the target is coming either right at you or at a slight angle. You literally need to be right on the knife edge of detection to get a good torp release on an enemy.

[PISD]
Members
1,493 posts
5,716 battles
49 minutes ago, kishan99 said:

Deepwater torpedo may well be hit by the nerf bat with the new module (1.8 km detection for all torpedo). Not sure that I is a great idea to start that line with the looming rework coming.

[RLGN]
Members
14,900 posts
26,419 battles
1 hour ago, kishan99 said:

I will def. try this

What they’re talking about is ‘rate of closure mechanics.’

Oversimplified: what you’re really aiming for is the spot the target ship will theoretically be at in the time it takes your torpedoes to travel to their maximum range, less a bit for good measure.

Once I grasped that concept, (geometry mathematics?) I was stealth torping with things like the Clemson regularly.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

The t6 PanAsain DD should have 8km torps and 6.1km ship detection. 

But, to your question, likely if your dd can't stealth torp then it might not be a torp boat at all. Maybe you are more of a run and gun DD. But setting up ambushed around islands is a popular tactic for the low tier USN DDs/.

[RAGE]
Members
414 posts
6,574 battles

He hasn't upgraded to the 8km torps yet, but his detect should be 6.1 with Camo and CE.  (he may not have a 10 pt cptn yet..)

If you are playing handicapped, the game is harder..

Edited by mumphred

[RAGE]
Members
414 posts
6,574 battles

Having 10 pt captains really helps. There are several available in Scenerios and Collections. I bought the mad max girl when she was available for the pan-asia DDs. (there are also a couple in the armory for coal or doubloons..)

Edited by mumphred

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
1,157 posts
7,430 battles
2 hours ago, TheArc said:

This,

short range torp ships are typical of most gunboat which improves at T8-10 in most of those lines the exception of Russian and French which remain at 8KM.  Even with ships that have ranges outside detection you will have a hard time hitting anything at range. Good DD play revolves around situational awareness where you can be to get targets of opportunity regardless of planes. radar and hydro and when to use guns over torps and vice versa.

[Y0L0W]
Members
572 posts
18,542 battles
2 hours ago, kishan99 said:

So, the T6 Pan Asian ship has stock torps with 6.4km range. If you don't have concealment expert your detection will be longer than that. Keep in mind it's only a few games to get the upgraded torps with an 8km range that gives you a bit of a window.

In the mean time, use islands and smoke to setup and ambush. You can also get into the path of ships that are advancing and try get them not completely head on, but at maybe a 45-60 degree angle.

Also, don't forget Pan-Asian smokes are great for using your guns.

[DUD]
Members
706 posts
2,470 battles
2 hours ago, Vaffu said:

I forgot to add in my original reply to make sure you do not target the ship you want to launch torps at with your guns first because as soon as you take your guns off and target with torps they will know

Ah ok... that makes sense.

1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Once I grasped that concept, (geometry mathematics?) I was stealth torping with things like the Clemson regularly.

I think I just need to get good and predicting where the ship is going to be in the seconds to come...

1 hour ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

The t6 PanAsain DD should have 8km torps and 6.1km ship detection. 

55 minutes ago, mumphred said:

He hasn't upgraded to the 8km torps yet, but his detect should be 6.1 with Camo and CE.  (he may not have a 10 pt cptn yet..) 

Yeah, I am blind lol...  I just saw the torp upgrade.   I also just got concealment expert making it my 10 points which is helping a lot

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,128 posts
14,735 battles
3 hours ago, TheArc said:

This ^^^^

[-GOD-]
[-GOD-]
Members
1,298 posts
13 hours ago, Vaffu said:

I forgot to add in my original reply to make sure you do not target the ship you want to launch torps at with your guns first because as soon as you take your guns off and target with torps they will know.

Always target ships you want to launch torps at with torpedos only until after you launch.

Though there are times you can make this ,i call it pinging their PT, work for you to bluff them into either breaking off or changing into the direction u want them to go. In a DD sneaky is a good thing.

[BNKR]
Members
155 posts
3,950 battles
14 hours ago, kishan99 said:

I will def. try this

Use your minimap. The targeted ship has a direction-of-travel indicator and your torpedo range circle is active by default. If your aiming indicator, the direction-of-travel indicator and the torpedo range circle all intersect, you can hit the target.

Try not to launch torpedoes from greater than 1km beyond range. It's possible to land hits north of 2km difference because they're driving into your torp spread, but it's more time for the enemy to move, reposition or change speed. And if you misjudge their speed in the first place, straight miss.

If your torpedo range is less than your detection range and you have a stealth build, then torps should only be a part of your arsenal. Work your guns and dodge. Save torps for late-game when ambushes become viable, BBs sail unaccompanied and crucially, there's less radar or enemy DD to root you out as you line up.

I've just finished grinding my Minsk to Elite. I built her as a gunship - so taking AFT instead of CE, she has a 7.5km detection circle. She can't contest caps with that range, which on many maps is larger than a cap circle end-to-end. She only has 4km torps.

A third of my kills are still from torps - islands, smoke, these are your friends. But Minsk is most definitely a gunship, not a torpedo boat. 14.6km of gun range is much more useful than 6.8km detection circle. Burn them down.

[1984]
Members
4,308 posts
21,105 battles
15 hours ago, kishan99 said:

Try ijn, usn, rn, km dds they all have stealth torping abilities. Usn is particularly versatile. In the tier 6 chinee boat i yolo  with the stock torps, they are longer range..? Once you get to gaja it’s better.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,755 battles
15 hours ago, TheArc said:

Exactly.

Many destroyers primary weapons are the guns, not the torpedoes.