Sign in to follow this  
3r22r

Thunderer, or Smolensk

9 comments in this topic

[1813]
Members
300 posts
7,413 battles

Does anybody know if WG will introduce a new ship for Coal in the armoury? Though about getting both since I have 540 000 Coal and 314 million Credit. ( and a 25% coupon for ships in resources )  

But for now, I decided to wait for a while until something comes up ( like as usual ) 

Read good things about them but as to Smolensk I am concerned that WG will nerf it before I get it 

By the way, if they nerf a ship, does it affects ships already in port? Does anyone have any info about that?

[WOLFC]
Members
943 posts
7,115 battles
9 minutes ago, 3r22r said:

Read good things about them but as to Smolensk I am concerned that WG will nerf it before I get it 

By the way, if they nerf a ship, does it affects ships already in port? Does anyone have any info about that?

If WG nerfs Smolensk (or any other ship), it will affect all of them, regardless of when you obtained it. Your Smolensk will always be the same as as every other player’s Smolensk.

Supertester
2,988 posts
4,104 battles
13 minutes ago, 3r22r said:

Does anybody know if WG will introduce a new ship for Coal in the armoury?

There are quite a few high tier ships in testing, and a bunch introduced recently (check dev blog). The only thing that is confirmed is Hayate (Japanese tier 10 DD) was voted on by the players to be free xp.

Yes, the nerfs are global to the ship. Doesn't matter if you own it or are playing against it, or both. The stats of the ship are 'permanently' changed.

I can't speak for WG, but I am almost positive they would pull it from sale before they nerfed it. While not explicitly a premium ship, it caries the same sort of status. Nerfing it would make a lot of people very mad, therefore I strongly doubt it will happen.

There is no doubting Smolensk. A VERY strong and potent ship with so many tools available to her. However, Thunderer is also a fantastic BB. Great accuracy on her guns, with a quick reload too. Nothing super unique, just stellar gunnery. To choose between the two, I would go with the class you prefer. A light cruiser or a battleship. Both ships will not disappoint.

Edited by _BBaby
  • Cool 1

[1813]
Members
300 posts
7,413 battles
7 minutes ago, _BBaby said:

There are quite a few high tier ships in testing, and a bunch introduced recently (check dev blog). The only thing that is confirmed is Hayate (Japanese tier 10 DD) was voted on by the players to be free xp.

Yes, the nerfs are global to the ship. Doesn't matter if you own it or are playing against it, or both. The stats of the ship are 'permanently' changed.

I can't speak for WG, but I am almost positive they would pull it from sale before they nerfed it. While not explicitly a premium ship, it caries the same sort of status. Nerfing it would make a lot of people very mad, therefore I strongly doubt it will happen.

There is no doubting Smolensk. A VERY strong and potent ship with so many tools available to her. However, Thunderer is also a fantastic BB. Great accuracy on her guns, with a quick reload too. Nothing super unique, just stellar gunnery. To choose between the two, I would go with the class you prefer. A light cruiser or a battleship. Both ships will not disappoint.

As for DD Hayate, right now I have 1 400 000 Free XPs and that is a lot for one ship, did that last with Salem

Ever since I got Georgia, I have taken only Ressources Containers, 1000 Coal per day average.

Thanks for the info.

[WOLFG]
Members
405 posts
3,740 battles

Smolensk isn't a premium so it can be nerfed, but WG as yet don't seem to care. They nerfed the Henri but didn't bother touching the Smolensk. Russian bias, maybe, but you'd if nerfs were good enough for Henrithe'd be good enough for Smolensk. If you only real concern is a nerf, then that can happen at any time time to any ship that isn't a full premium, we don't know what WG is thinking.

You say you have Georgia already, Thunder has the same guns (with different accuracy), they don't have the same role but you'd still be getting another big gun Battleship.

Do you want a big gun sniper battleship or the HE cancer that is the Smolensk?

If your main concern with getting Smolensk is nerfs, I wouldn't worry. They'd need a gigantic nerf to reduce it's effectiveness.

That said, don't get Smolensk because the high tier game doesn't need more HE cancer.

• Boring 1

[CNM88]
Members
548 posts
2,713 battles
1 hour ago, 3r22r said:

Does anybody know if WG will introduce a new ship for Coal in the armoury? Though about getting both since I have 540 000 Coal and 314 million Credit. ( and a 25% coupon for ships in resources )  

But for now, I decided to wait for a while until something comes up ( like as usual ) 

Depends on what you want more of. 18in guns are no joke even if they don’t have the lol pen capacity of a Yamato. The Thunderer is taking a Conqueror, buffing the accuracy of the 18in guns, give it the same HE as the Conqueror, but take away the super heal and replace it with a normal heal. That’s the Thunderer.

Smolensk on the other hand is a Russian light cruiser made from some secret facility armed with communism, smoke, and everything that reminds us of the Belfast. It’s armor is super thin to the point it effectively has turtle back Stalinium armor. Gets to HE spam everything to death at 16km with AFT and greatly benefits from IFHE because Stalinium shells. Basically the only drawback is the player relying on smoke too much.

Now make your choice.

[AAA]
Members
1,024 posts
11,100 battles

Depends if you want to burn stuff..... nevermind they both do that.

Smolensk really needs a dedicated captain. If you have the Groz that capt works pretty well, but in order to make other players cuss at you in game it really requires IHFE which I don't run on my Russian DDs. AFT is pretty critical as well. I actually don't run CE because I'm typically shooting in or out of smoke. Is it nice to go quite and hide? Sure but if you are inside 11 km to the red ships you messed up.

Thunderer. Just takes a RN BB capt to play.

Really depends on if you want to play BB sniper or smoke hiding dragon from the Motherland that shakes off point blank Yamato broadsides like Yammy is a squirt gun. Your call

[KSE]
[KSE]
Beta Testers
1,617 posts
15,488 battles

I have both and I vote HARD for Thunderer.

Smolensk is tricky to play, you must have spotters for your guns to really do their work, and a good BB player can smoke fire you and take half your health every volley.  In a 3 man Div with a good DD and a BB support, Smolensk can wreak havoc - solo play leans heavily towards the Thunderer where you can deal ridiculous damage at range ALL game.

[BGA]
Members
288 posts
5,640 battles

Here is the result of a great game that I had in my Thunderer.  She sure is a lot of fun to play. 

2020-03-25 (1).png

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this