You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Legio_X_

Has anybody used doubloons to acquire the British CAs?

72 comments in this topic

[RBMKI]
Members
371 posts
6,235 battles

You end up getting all of them guaranteed?

There's only 65 options until you get all four. I guess that would make the chance 1/65 for each roll.

Edited by MudRaker227

[USCC]
Members
3,075 posts
14,337 battles

I had 3 rolls at it, got two right out of the gate (tier V and VII) haven't tried any more.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,337 posts
16,770 battles
6 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Just wondering what yalls drop rate luck were to get any of the ships. 

When the event came out 3000 I got a doubloon package used it and all I got was Hawkins this morning I cleared the 1st directive getting 200 tokens spent them and all I got was another Hawkins drop

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Funny 3

Members
2,439 posts
5,404 battles
5 minutes ago, MudRaker227 said:

I bought the Italian big package for I think $100 and got all ships. 

this however makes me nervous because it’s pure random. Just gauging if I should put some money into it or not.

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,000 posts
5,814 battles

I just happened to have 51k doubloons laying around that I could use to throw at the problem.

I now have 10k doubloons...

• Confused 1

Members
2,439 posts
5,404 battles
Just now, Super_Dreadnought said:

I just happened to have 51k doubloons laying around that I could use to throw at the problem.

I now have 10k doubloons...

Did you get any ships?

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,337 posts
16,770 battles
1 minute ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Not really impressed with Hawkins.

It's  the equivalent of the Raimondo Montecuccli  with a even  worse RoF  

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,000 posts
5,814 battles
Just now, Legio_X_ said:

Did you get any ships?

Got all of them.

Why else do you think I still have 10,000 doubloons and not 0? :Smile_teethhappy:

As a Brit it is my patriotic duty to senselessly throw virtual currency at BRITISH digital ships I could have got for free in the next patch.

Indomitable can Duke of Yuck can rot in hell though.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[HSD]
Members
739 posts
12,507 battles

I had 4000 lying around.

Dropped them into it and came out with Hawkins then Devonshire.

I haven't tried Hawkins at all.

Devonshire seems average, the heal gives her staying power but is offset but the gun range. Nothing too outstanding, but nothing too bad either. Just very middle of the road.

[SALVO]
Members
25,512 posts
27,502 battles

I have no intention of spending any doubloons on the Imperial crates.  The only way I'd have spent even 1k doubloons is if the very first drop had been a ship, then I probably would have.  But I'm not spending any dubs just to get stuck on that hamster wheel of luck, hoping to get a ship drop or 2.  I got 1 ship drop (the Hawkins) on the Royal crates with my first 80 British tokens.  

9 minutes ago, Bill_Halsey said:

Not really impressed with Hawkins.

Why do people seem to expect that tier 5 ships, which are going to be either WW1 era or early inter-war era ships, to ever be all that good or impressive?  Personally, the Hawkins is just fine.  Nothing special, but entirely playable.  It's a bit like the Omaha with its odd gun layout.

[HSD]
Members
739 posts
12,507 battles

From looking in the armour viewer Hawkins seems like it can be very trollish to be BBs with that armour, just got to coax them into aiming waterline. I mean she can bow-tank Yamato if it is hell bent on aiming waterline and not higher.

It seems based on what others have said though that the guns are the let down and guns are very important in the game.

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,122 battles

Well let’s just say random is fandom and leave it at that.

2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Why do people seem to expect that tier 5 ships, which are going to be either WW1 era or early inter-war era ships, to ever be all that good or impressive?  Personally, the Hawkins is just fine.  Nothing special, but entirely playable.  It's a bit like the Omaha with its odd gun layout.

The Omaha is a good ship because it’s turret layout was actually pretty good. Furutaka is also good with the C hull and was serviceable with the B hull. The tier 5 KM one was alright. Also I think the Emile was good until they nerfed her into the ground (that 15second reload is horrible for 6in guns). There’s just such a good selection of tier 5 ships that it gets expected for them to be at least serviceable.

[WOLFC]
Members
513 posts
7,442 battles

The first bundle I got offered was flags and camos so no, 0 dubloons spent. They might've gotten me to pull the slot machine lever for a couple of the other bundles besides the ships, but with a start like that, I'll stick to the free tokens. 100 tokens so far, and 0 ships. At least it's all free.

Edited by Nolo_00

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,765 battles
39 minutes ago, Legio_X_ said:

Just wondering what yalls drop rate luck were to get any of the ships. 

Hahahahaha...

No. I dont use doubloons to try to get tech tree ships.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
21,715 posts
15,757 battles
37 minutes ago, MudRaker227 said:

There's only 65 options until you get all four. I guess that would make the chance 1/65 for each roll.

No. It's 4/65 for the first roll. Subsequent rolls decrease the denominator by one until you get a ship, which ALSO reduces the numerator by one.

36 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

I had 3 rolls at it, got two right out of the gate (tier V and VII) haven't tried any more.

You were lucky. You were wise IMHO to spend the doubloons to get both (the permacamos are worth it) and also wise to stop when the ships stopped coming.

• Cool 1

Members
3,832 posts
13,788 battles

Negative. First free bundle gave me the tier5. I have no idea how this event works, but havent been paying any real detailed attention to any event for the past year. Yay, for skipping tiers 1-4 though. 

[ARGSY]
Members
21,715 posts
15,757 battles
1 minute ago, Rollingonit said:

Yay, for skipping tiers 1-4 though. 

Unless you've never played a British cruiser, you skipped nothing. This is a sidebranch of the existing British CL line.

• Confused 1

Members
3,832 posts
13,788 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Unless you've never played a British cruiser, you skipped nothing. This is a sidebranch of the existing British CL line.

Oh yah you're right. Booo, not skipping any tiers. 

[WOLF8]
Members
7,593 posts
6,366 battles
42 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Indomitable can Duke of Yuck can rot in hell though.

But what about your patriotic duty as a British? LOL. :Smile_trollface:

Underwhelming they may be, sure, they're still her Majesty's ships... lel. :cap_haloween:

Members
78 posts
5,800 battles

I spent 1k dubloons on a ship, but only because the first thing that popped up was the t6 and that is the cost of the permacamo anyway. I really like the perma camo look for those ships, and I'm likely to use a t6 cruiser with heal and heavy guns in operations. I am not spending any more however because I do not like spending money on something unless I am sure of what I am getting. 

Edit - And most of the other options in the bundles do not say "spend 1000 dubloons" to me.

Edited by Darlith

[ARGSY]
Members
21,715 posts
15,757 battles
10 minutes ago, Rollingonit said:

Oh yah you're right. Booo, not skipping any tiers. 

It's probably better they're not in the game. Paradoxically the armoured cruisers the British built in the late 19th and early 20th century were arguably more heavily gunned and better armoured than any of the early-release ones we have in game, albeit significantly slower.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,715 posts
15,757 battles
Just now, Darlith said:

I am not spending any more however because I do not like spending money on something unless I am sure of what I am getting. 

Buying a package should unmask what the next one is going to be, but you were right about the value of it and you were right to stop when the next one was not also a ship.