Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Bill_Halsey

Hawkins - What is the ship's role?

13 comments in this topic

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,120 battles

Got enough Brit tokens to get Hawkins and sadly I'm not impressed.

Lowest visibility value 11 km

Gun range 12.7 km

Reload time -  14 sec

Survivability - I'll let you decide

Spoiler

shot-20_01.18_15_11.05-0581.thumb.jpg.a285c69a9bd44fdd6edbd7cc3d56adbb.jpg

Compared with Exeter:

Lowest visibility value 9.6 km

Gun range 14.3 km

Reload time 15 sec

Survivability again judge for yourself:

Spoiler

shot-20_01.18_15_16.17-0368.thumb.jpg.c735719215750d69a8ea17255e2e6824.jpg

The only statistic that Hawkins beats out Exeter is the reload time. But given them number of guns that can fired forward (4 vs 6) and gun caliber, Exeter is the winner in the dpm statistic.

Hawkins looks like a T4 ship that got jumped to T5. The problem is when the ship finds itself in a T7 match. That extra armor just means what would be over pens when BB shells hit normally would turn into normal penetrations. Given how high the citadel is above the water line? Any ship can deliver citadels easily enough. Even USN  DD's under 7 km. I couldn't see this ship as an anti dd screener. Unless as a meat shield. Or the player goes Leroy Jenkins.

This is becoming the new normal. Mediocre tech ships that only start to get better at T8. Unless you buy the premiums before hand. And then WG nerfs the tech tree over performers.  Balans comrade.

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,117 battles

Hawkins is terrible but not for the reasons you’ve stated save for one and it’s the gunnery and concealment working against each other that even her armor work against itself. For a cruiser her armor is fantastic. Angle this thing properly and even BB AP will bounce. Absolute troll. The problem is the concealment and gunnery relationship that turns this ship upside down quickly. Far too quickly. Worse than an Omaha or Emerald kind of quickly. She needs buffs really bad.

• Cool 1

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

Getting blapped.

She has a huge hull, relatively low speed, and horrific gun arcs. Like, why would I ever grab Hawkins over Exeter, Furutaka, or even Emile Bertin?

York should have been the T5.

cl_hms_york.jpg

Edited by Battlecruiser_Repulse
  • Cool 1

[GRAVE]
Members
1,360 posts
19,503 battles

upgrade the hull and fire control systems (they come free with the ships) then come back and you'll still find it probably very meh

[ARGSY]
Members
21,632 posts
15,689 battles
9 minutes ago, Battlecruiser_Repulse said:

Like, why would I ever grab Hawkins over Exeter, Furutaka, or even Emile Bertin?

Emile Bertin is a light cruiser and not a fair comparison.

I'd be interested to see how stock Hawkins stacks up against stock Furutaka.

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,117 battles
Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

That is a good point. Doesn’t hide the fact that 15second reload on 6in guns is awful.

1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Honestly I would be too. I think Furutaka will win though although it will come down to who’s foolish enough to get caught with the broadside. Is this with a 10pt cpt or just some 3-5pt one?

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,120 battles
21 minutes ago, LiaoXanLan said:

Honestly I would be too. I think Furutaka will win though although it will come down to who’s foolish enough to get caught with the broadside. Is this with a 10pt cpt or just some 3-5pt one?

10 point one.

[LOS]
Members
864 posts
14,554 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Why compare stock boats?  Furry Taco, when upgraded, is a citadel machine... Hawkins, not as much.  I'll try the RN CA candidate a bit more, but right now I'd rather drive the IJN Cruiser than the RN CA Hawkins...she's just not as fun.

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,619 posts
10,480 battles

I took the Hawkins out in Co-op to see how it handled.  I discovered that it can actually tank shots quite well.  Of course, Co-op isn't randoms, so it might not fair quite so well in randoms, especially if uptiered.  So far, it is much better than the Italian T5 ship Raimondo Montecuccoli we recently got.

• Confused 1

[RLGN]
Members
14,900 posts
26,419 battles
44 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Had one chasing me bot-style in a Co-op test game...

...I just angled and ran away and beat it to death with HE and a torp hit.

fwiw.

Hawkins role? I’ve been using it like a smokeless Emerald. Except for the torp spam potential of the CL, I like it better than Emerald. Heavier shells and HE make all the difference.

But then, as some of you may know, I’m the weirdo who seems to get along just fine with ‘bad’ ships.

[TXGUN]
Beta Testers
3,224 posts
26,877 battles

My Opinion of the Hawkins is that she make a good target ship. 

• Cool 1

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,117 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:
1 hour ago, Bill_Halsey said:

10 point one.

Furutaka will win depending on how the engagement starts. Hawkins will get out spotted by at least a whole km which Furutaka has plenty of time to either alpha or at least fire her forward guns. Then she can drop her torpedoes as she turns around and kites the Hawkins to no end and thanks to the floating shells the Hawkins might as well not bother. 

In order for the Hawkins to win, she will have to ambush Furutaka where the torpedoes will do the most harm. That is the only situation that Hawkins could win against her because the torpedo angles are better than Furutaka with any certainty. Sure an open water engagement is possible but only if she make every shot count and again, because floaty shells, that just might not be possible.
Another way to get the win in the Hawkins is a straightforward load the AP and shoot in the middle of Furutaka’a turn and get just a couple of citadels but Furutaka can just angle, slow down, and then kite away and she could potentially do the same to Hawkins so it’s not even reliable. 

It would be interesting to see if Hawkins can win against Furutaka but I don’t see a winning solution.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,632 posts
15,689 battles

She's productive enough in co-op, even when bottom tier and your team is not doing all that well. This battle got me top of team with over 500 base XP.

shot-20.01.18_20.33.52-0081.jpg

shot-20.01.18_20.34.02-0792.jpg

Sign in to follow this