Sign in to follow this  
AVR_Project

Hey Cortana !!! Where the #### is my microphone Jack??

5 comments in this topic

[GWG]
Members
7,224 posts
14,028 battles

Brand new Windows 10 gaming laptop...  HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-dk0xxx

Loaded WOWS -- took 4 hours.

Locked up..  ran WG Check a couple times and fixed all the issues.  I must not have checked the 'Don't install non-functional crap' box.

Played a few games on it...  It's kind of nice...  Running side by side with a non-game-center Windows 8.1...  Alt-account

A few training rooms...   The windows 10 freezes one game..  abort/restart game..   Windows 8.1 goes goofy and audio whines..  Cycle Power and try again.

Finally got a couple games where one doesn't crash..   The Windows 10 laptop hangs for about 10 seconds at the game end with just the last pic - whereas the Win 8.1 jumps right to scores.

Found out the Graf Zeppellin absolutely wrecks the Kaga in a secondary Duel - even with equal captain skills.

OK..  Let's get serious.

Loaded TeamSpeak and Discord..  Connect headset.....   Ummmm...   Ahhhhh...

No Microphone Jack.  Turned on Cortana...   asked her where the jack was hidden....   "I do not understand the Question".  "This computer has two microphones..". 

Went to the Windows 8.1 machine and brought up the on-line manual... 

There isn't any.  Oh wait !!!  It's one jack called "Combined microphone headset Jack"....  

This is the same page telling me the Cache memory size on the micro.  Can we be MORE SPECIFIC about the headset jack please ???

Is there a specific name for this mystery plug/Y-adapter I must track down?  Search Internet...

ABSOLUTE MAYHEM...   Some call it a 3.5mm, but it has to be the 'Right One' or it won't work.

So it looks like Hewlett Packard is as screwed up as Wargaming.  There is no documentation on dealing with this.

I'm thinking...   This?  And another futile trip to Walmart in the snow.

https://www.amazon.com/Kingtop-Adapter-Tablet-Headsets-Version/dp/B01I3A47I4?ref_=fsclp_pl_dp_2

[GWG]
Members
7,224 posts
14,028 battles

When doing clan battles, when I get up from my desk, I mute the mic, and unplug the earphone -- putting the audio on the speakers...

How do I do that with this new machine without messing up the microphone input selection thing? 

Guess I lost that ability now.

Members
6,168 posts
7,861 battles

I have an Asus W10 laptop. It also has the combined headset/microphone Jack. If I plug my headset in without the Y adapter, the PC doesn't recognize the mic only the headset. So I just use the headset plug on they Y adapter and use the laptop's microphone. I'm sure there's a way to use the headset's Y adapter with another Y adapter plugged into the microphone jack to get both to work, but I can never be bothered to look for the adapter and buy it. I'd probably be better off just getting a headset that plug in via usb.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
Members
7,224 posts
14,028 battles
1 hour ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I have an Asus W10 laptop. It also has the combined headset/microphone Jack. If I plug my headset in without the Y adapter, the PC doesn't recognize the mic only the headset. So I just use the headset plug on they Y adapter and use the laptop's microphone. I'm sure there's a way to use the headset's Y adapter with another Y adapter plugged into the microphone jack to get both to work, but I can never be bothered to look for the adapter and buy it. I'd probably be better off just getting a headset that plug in via usb.

I gave a link to the right cable.

Problem is that this "Audio Adapter/Splitter" cable needs to have the Earphone/Mic stamped on the two female connectors.

Also called a 4 pin to 3 pin Y adapter.

https://www.walmart.com/search/?query=3.5mm "headset adapter splitter"

Edit:  All of these are 'SPECIAL ORDER' as they don't keep them in stock.

Edited by AVR_Project

[GWG]
Members
7,224 posts
14,028 battles

Here's a picture of two PCs, each running a CV..   Different accounts...

This is a TRAINING ROOM with a Kaga and Graf Zeppellin having a secondary battle.

In the old CV mode, I could 'Own the Battle' if I sync dropped these in Random.

As I've witnessed, I'm fairly certain other operators were doing this.

I think with the new game mode, that behavior has diminished since it's not as easy to play in map mode.

In this recent change, you can't set plane way-points for aircraft.  Sorry no auto-pilot for the pilots.

TwoCarriers.jpg

Sign in to follow this