Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WES_HoundDog

The FDG

20 comments in this topic

[FORM]
Members
1,838 posts
12,227 battles

I drove it before the accuracy buff, but it was a pretty underpowered and surprisingly fragile ship IMO. When I started playing her as a second line BB I found that I did much better.

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles

I just finished the grind to research the Kurfwurst.

It's a godawful ship. I had a 100% XP bonus halloween camo, if I didn't have that I would never have grinded it up because there's no way I would have lasted ~200 battles in this pos.

I've done a large amount of the US & German BB lines, the US & IJN DD lines, the IJN, Russian and US Cruiser lines and my top three worst ships are 1) FDG, 2) Fubuki, 3) Seattle.

You take this into a battle it's a gigantic "burn me to death" sign unless you camp 24km away from the enemy, at which point you'll do nothing because the guns are incredibly inaccurate and your team will start negging you for border camping. The secondaries are barely worth wasting the 8 captain points you need to make them useful and if you take a tank build you just die slightly slower. If you get put into games with a Worcester or Smolensk you're their #1 target and you have a near-zero chance of winning, or getting away without losing ~80% of your health.

The German BB line really needs another accuracy buff and another 1km on it's secondary range because of powercreep and even that won't do a huge amount to help it.

I'd rather take the tier below US North Carolina into a battle than this. The Bismarck ends up being a better ship because it doesn't get uptiered as often. I'd rather take a T7 Lyon into battle than this! That's how bad it is.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
1,494 posts
11,235 battles

its fine, its not under powered its not over powered, we do not need to keep buffing ships because players cant figure out how to play it well.

• Cool 4
  • Funny 1

Members
1,477 posts
17,578 battles

It works fine for me. I keep it in my fleet and play it fairly often. It's not the best BB at it's tier but it's not the worst either.

Some ships, no matter how good they are, will have players that can't stand them. Giving too much weight to their complaints could prevent you from trying out a ship that you might love to play. After all there are actually players that say they enjoy playing the Izumo.

[GT3]
Members
156 posts
6,896 battles

I enjoyed it more than GK.. Turns better.. And seems better armored.

I'll never forget being nose into A cap when a Montana suddenly appeared from the flank.. And sent a full salvo into my side at a dead flat 4km.

Freddy survived it.. Then gave a full salvo back (fast turrets) and sailed away from the sinking Montana... Was a good day.

It can be painful playing KM BB at high tier.. Hard to force the brawl you need most of the time.. Every now and then the brawl will come to you though and that's the fun times.

[MOOW]
[MOOW]
Members
681 posts
24,538 battles

its a perfectly fine  boat.. your personal milage with it will vary.

Edited by Grapefruitcannon

[REKTD]
Members
329 posts
10,155 battles

I enjoy my German BBs; I often turn to them in a potential losing streak to stall the damage. Between Bismarck, Tirpitz, FdG and GK I get wins going and their similar playstyle and survivability ensure I get my game skill back in focus. These were not the easiest ships to learn, and my WR in them shows this learning curve. Further, they, when played right, carry the team. When I was not playing them right my teams lost the majority of times.

Mainly I use secondary builds, Tirpitz has an accuracy build and I can play the long range game in it if needed. The book is still out on if I like that. Most of the time these ships have to be angled. I use islands to avoid line of sight to mitigate the horrible detection range. This allows you to maximize the opportunities to surprise the enemy at closer range. This also ensures they are already engaged at a long range target by the time they detect you, and you can then effectively end a red three ship push: target CA/CL first while DD gets the secondaries. Then the BBs get full attention. Full speed is important here otherwise friendlies are getting pummeled.

Occasionally with Bismarck I can lead a 4 ship charge with 1 other BB involved and those break the red team. Also occasionally with FdG I can ensure a green victory by charging in (bow in to all BBs) and “disrupting” the red strategy as they all want to focus on me. It makes most of the red team visible for a long period of time as they whittle me down. If I can also cause enough damage in the 3 min suicide charge (high risk here) we almost always can win. You need to get over 60k here. Since red is all visible and in disarray, your team will clean them up.

Good line.

Edited by SuperComm4
Clarification.

[NFJF]
Members
693 posts
10,417 battles
13 hours ago, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

its fine, its not under powered its not over powered, we do not need to keep buffing ships because players cant figure out how to play it well.

There are definitely some bad ships in this game. I think in most cases though a ship is only really as good as the person playing it. Its actually kind of funny how often I've seen people totally scrub out in boats that are regarded as OP.

Edited by admiralsexybeast

[UN1]
Members
1,283 posts
3,965 battles

FdG is a very strong ship, but difficult to play in her intended role. If you can tame your aggression and really focus though, she's a monster if a brawler and will out muscle any ship one on one with ease.

I find her best in a full on secondary build.

Members
6,778 posts
21,181 battles

I have started playing it again over the last month and using the smaller guns, faster reload and using a lot more HE than before. It is kind of fun. More tank than secondary's build but secondary's still reach out and touch people.

Members
864 posts

I liked it enough to get the perma camo for it . Fast reload on the 406's and good secondaries , plus the recent buff make's it even better , good boat IMO .

Members
581 posts
5,060 battles

would be a nice brawler ship if it wasnt for the horrible  armor that seems to be designed to arm incoming AP shells while the gigantic superstructure  screams " spam HE here", Rear turrets limited traverce will often make you  expose broadsides making the above problem  an even bigger problem. :Smile-angry:

not saying it should have 450mm but  t5-t7 get 350mm belt armor and the t9 gets 300mm...

[D-H-O]
Beta Testers, Volunteer Moderator
299 posts
6,487 battles

Don't have a ton of games in it, but I like it... I think where it under performs may be due to captain build out.   I had run my Bismarck as a secondary build and carried it over to the FDG.  I got some advice from a clan-mate to make the secondary build a secondary characteristic and go first for a DC build.  You can, with the right balance of skills, make it a hybrid build, which I've done.  I still have the secondary build but have also moved points into DC skills and have found that fires are not that bad, which some mention are the bane of the FDG.  I also, since the accuracy buff, am a little more reserved from pushing in as I might have before... to let damage farm off my secondary's.  I feel that I can sit outside my secondary range and still do damage.  

The only thing I haven't played with since the accuracy buff is trying out the 420's.   Does anyone have an opinion since the change on to whether the 420's can be played?  Or just stick with the stock guns?

[O7]
Members
1,494 posts
11,235 battles
16 hours ago, admiralsexybeast said:

There are definitely some bad ships in this game. I think in most cases though a ship is only really as good as the person playing it. Its actually kind of funny how often I've seen people totally scrub out in boats that are regarded as OP.

smolensk is perfect example, its clearly broken, theres cannot be any way someone can justify smolensk as balanced yet so many people keep doing so poorly in it that wargaming will not nerf it.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
30,786 posts
9,354 battles
On 1/17/2020 at 11:38 PM, ITZ_ACE_BABY said:

I think I figured out the best way to play it.......

Get Pommern.....:Smile_trollface:

[PHU]
Members
239 posts
5,208 battles

I grinded through it before the buff. I ran a semi secondary build (skipped BFT and opted for BOS instead) and found it enjoyable. Still only 8 guns, but the 406mm overmatch on CAs really made the difference between me feeling like Bismarck was a slog to grind through and enjoying FdG. CAs with 27mm were just so common when I was grinding through and they still are. Having the near 20 second long reload on those kind of guns made it feel comfortable for me to not have to worry about swapping between HE and AP for the popular CAs that bow in. The only real issue I had with it was the same weakness all high tier German BBs have, the colossal size of the superstructure that is easily farmable.

Edited by Chozo_Elder

Sign in to follow this