You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheSteelGeneraI

Thoughts on Hawkins?

23 comments in this topic

Members
40 posts
7,189 battles

Just started playing the new British cruiser Hawkins.  After a few games I find I'm struggling to do damage with the main guns.  The AP seems to have no penetration and the 14 sec reload is painful.  This is in stark contrast to Exeter, who's 203mm guns are citadel machines and have nearly the same reload (15sec).    The guns are bigger than Emerald (190mm vs 152mm) but if shooting HE is the best way to do damage, then the long reload really hurts.

The torps hit hard, but are slow and having only two per side makes them easy to dodge.

Edited by TheSteelGeneraI

[RCNW3]
Members
1,942 posts
20,036 battles

Only played a couple of games, being bottom tier is a painful experience, does not tier up well.  If top tier, does ok, can be competitive with the heal. Shells are a bit floaty, dispersion is interesting, I have resorted to ripple firing and spreading the aim area to get more hits.  Seems to generate some fires, have not had any luck with AP, or any torp hits (tried to stay about 10km from BB/CL targets).

Overall,  will not be keeping after event (though to be honest have not kept many tech tree tier 5 ships when done grinding, exception being Emerald).

Edited by Panzer1113

[SALVO]
Members
25,457 posts
27,411 battles
12 minutes ago, TheSteelGeneraI said:

Just started playing the new British cruiser Hawkins.  After a few games I find I'm struggling to do damage with the main guns.  The AP seems to have no penetration and the 14 sec reload is painful.  This is in stark contrast to Exeter, who's 203mm guns are citadel machines and have nearly the same reload (15sec).    The guns are bigger than Emerald (190mm vs 152mm) but if shooting HE is the best way to do damage, then the long reload really hurts.

The torps hit hard, but are slow and having only two per side makes then easy to dodge.

The Exeter is probably easier to play if only because it has a more modern, center line turret layout.  However, the Hawkins seems OK to me.  I've had good games with her thus far.  

As for the torps, yes, they can be easy to dodge.  You can either just throw them out there and hope for hits, or if you're trying to make a very close pass on an enemy ship, you could save them for a point blank launch.

11 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

Only played a couple of games, being bottom tier is a painful experience, does not tier up well.  If top tier, does ok, can be competitive with the heal. Shells are a bit floaty, dispersion is interesting, I have resorted to ripple firing and spreading the aim area to get more hits.  Seems to generate some fires, have not had any luck with AP, or any torp hits (tried to stay about 10km from BB/CL targets).

Overall,  will not be keeping after event (though to be honest have not kept many tech tree tier 5 ships when done grinding, exception being Emerald).

The Hawkins is sorta-kinda like the Omaha and its clones when bottom tiered.  You have to work around the edges of a battle, using terrain as much as you can, trying to engaged the unengaged sides of enemy BBs, spamming HE and trying to start fires.  It can be done.  You just have to do your best to not become some enemy BBs' focus of attention.

[PVE]
Members
4,654 posts
20,562 battles

I kinda of prefer Dimick's, or Leman's to Hawken's.....  Better trigger geometry.  Although, my 70 caliber is out right efficient and affectionately named "dink"..... 

Oh wait, sorry, got this forum mixed up with another.......sorry.

I don't think I'll ever see the British CA's anyway....  I don't play that much anymore.......  Good data in case I ever see one though !

• Funny 1
  • Confused 1

[PVE]
Members
4,654 posts
20,562 battles
1 minute ago, KilljoyCutter said:

For tier V cruisers, I think I'll ask Krasny Krym to the dance, instead of waiting for (Sadie) Hawkins to ask me.

:Smile_sceptic:

I like the Krispy Cream.....  It's kind of like a "sailing porcupine".....  Now, how cool is that !

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,128 posts
14,735 battles

The Hawkins is an odd duck, a relic of an earlier era but oddly she plays a lot like the Italian cruisers in that you have to be on the move and present a constantly changing aspect to the enemy.

Members
1,764 posts
26,543 battles

Hawkins is worse than Omaha.

Omaha (and Murmansk) can dance and keep shells in the air while dancing. Hawkins is slow, sluggish, and an eternity between reloads. Good thing it's free, cause I'd balk at paying in-game silver for this dog.

Oh, uh, thanks for the free ship, WG!

[RLGN]
Members
14,900 posts
26,419 battles
1 hour ago, Panzer1113 said:

Someone in another thread called it an Emerald with bigger guns and HE.

Lots of folks must be spamming the bundles though; I’ve not seen any ships in the few I’ve picked up so far.

53 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

For tier V cruisers, I think I'll ask Krasny Krym to the dance, instead of waiting for (Sadie) Hawkins to ask me.

:Smile_sceptic:

We’ll see. Like I said, no joy so far with the bundles.

53 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

I like the Krispy Cream.....  It's kind of like a "sailing porcupine".....  Now, how cool is that !

lol

An apt description. :fish_glass:

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,117 battles

Hawkins is terrible. Her concealment is awful at a base 13km with her firing range to be at 14km. Floating shells with a very long reload. Her guns are single turret and are quite literally everywhere not to mention her firing angles make shooting very risky. She’s a skip and one of the worst cruisers in the game until she gets some very needed buffs.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,391 posts
7 minutes ago, Frigate007 said:

If anything like the Albemarle, total junk.

"Albemarle" sounds like the name of a secondary character in a Harry Potter story.

• Funny 1

[GOBI]
Members
1,086 posts
4,487 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

"Albemarle" sounds like the name of a secondary character in a Harry Potter story.

Dumb name for a ship, sounds like some type of jam or jelly?

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,117 battles
2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Probably is the name of a secondary character in a Harry Potter story.

Members
145 posts
2,018 battles

Hawkins impressions.

Slow as hell.

Turns like a brick

Gun range too short

Guns dispersion seems horrid, shells fly all over the place.

Floating Citadel

Shell velocity is slow as hell also

Edited by Munificient_Mumfurt
  • Cool 1

[PUDEL]
Members
337 posts
1,596 battles

The wonderful actor Jack Hawkins is probably annoyed that the ship isn't rowed....

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
2,272 posts
6,174 battles

I wasn't impressed with my first match.  Gun angles are weird.  Shells seem awfully floaty for being such short range.  Only two torps per side and they go one KM less than Exeter's.  But, I somehow managed this in that first match.

https://replayswows.com/replay/76399#stats

[PUDEL]
Members
337 posts
1,596 battles
10 hours ago, ___BIGGLES___ said:

Unchain Forty-One!

"We keep you alive to serve this game. Spend well, then die."

• Funny 2

[ARGSY]
Members
21,632 posts
15,689 battles

I unlocked mine late last night so I could only get one battle in. Co-op the first time round, and fortunately I was dropped into an all T5 game. I had a nervous eye on my sides the whole time, and although I didn't get killed I got punished harshly when I failed to watch who I was showing side to. 

This ship will teach you positioning the hard way, but from my perspective it will be a long time before the novelty of firing HE ammo from a British heavy cruiser (specifically a tech tree one; I have the Exeter) wears off.

She's terrifyingly large, by the way; I didn't feel much size difference between my Hawkins and the Iron Duke I spawned next to.

She can slot DFAA vs hydro, and her secondaries/heavy AA when fully boosted are the same as on the Leander. I would like them to revisit her after a couple of patches and consider adding a spotter plane as a third option in that slot.