You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CV_Jeebies

Auto pilot hosed?

19 comments in this topic

[CYNIC]
Members
2,777 posts
7,012 battles

Auto pilot is making my ship backup first.  I can be driving forward, set a single waypoint and the ship goes into reverse.  I can be stopped and it goes in reverse.  Anyone elses messed up?

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,362 posts

I used to use it so I could take my hands off the controls for a few moments, grab something across the room, whatever... just needed it to go around an island for me or something late in battle when I knew there was no threat. 

Then over the last few patches, it started routinely plotting open-ocean routes that involved throwing the ship in reverse, then doing a funky S-curve, and then finally heading for the destination... near islands, it was trying to go the long way around the island, even if I was telling it to sail AWAY from the island.   For even basic turns it was constantly changing the throttle, and radically over-turning. 

I've just given up on using it at all, it's randomly but routinely so broken that it's not worth bothering. 

[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
825 posts
7,409 battles

I haven't tried it this patch yet. I tend to only use it on my CV's. In the last patch, my Lexington decided to take the scenic route one battle which led to my sinking.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,751 battles

It's better than it used to be.

It's still awful.

You have to LOOK at the route it plots and KNOW your ships handling characteristics and verify you can actually execute the maneuver,  assuming it's your five year old son at the controls.

But it will tell you if it plans to backup, there will be a little discontinuity in the course line...unless it thought it could make the turn and ran aground...

Seriously, there is NO REASON carriers cant control the hull manually while flying airplanes...aside from WG development arbitrary choice.

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
18,181 battles

That programmer has been fired and replaced with a perky but computer illiterate Hedgehog.

So yes, it hasn't been fixed and is unlikely to be fixed soon, but now you can ooh and aah at a cute picture of a Hedgehog nicknamed "Slava"....

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,362 posts
6 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

It's better than it used to be.

It's still awful.

You have to LOOK at the route it plots and KNOW your ships handling characteristics and verify you can actually execute the maneuver,  assuming it's your five year old son at the controls.

But it will tell you if it plans to backup, there will be a little discontinuity in the course line...unless it thought it could make the turn and ran aground...

Seriously, there is NO REASON carriers cant control the hull manually while flying airplanes...aside from WG development arbitrary choice.

The loss of simultaneous control of ship and aircraft was one of the biggest disasters of the CV Rebork.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,751 battles
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The loss of simultaneous control of ship and aircraft was one of the biggest disasters of the CV Rebork.

Maybe.

I consider the implementation of rocket planes and the loss of controllable fighters to be the BIGGEST disaster.

The development staff betrayed their complete and total ignorance of the PRIMARY function of a carrier in the RTS meta.

They tried desperately for YEARS to stop players from prioritizing air superiority over doing damage...while ignoring that air superiority is what won games rather than pure damage output.

The rework 'solution' was to remove the ability to gain air superiority at all...

...which inevitably led to the surface ships greatest fears being realized. They are now helpless against a ship that ALWAYS has the initiative advantage...without any recourse.

Sigh.

• Cool 1

[WOLFA]
[WOLFA]
Members
125 posts
5,790 battles
1 hour ago, NoSoMo said:

Auto pilot is making my ship backup first.  I can be driving forward, set a single waypoint and the ship goes into reverse.  I can be stopped and it goes in reverse.  Anyone elses messed up?

When you play CV after the rework you can only fly one squadron at a time so you are ALWAYS flying a squadron and need Navigator to WORK.

In stead, my CV is always reversing, delaying the departure required by a looming enemy or torpedo attack, OR my CV is running into an island that the Map display shows I WILL MISS when I set up my way points.

In any case when a DD is hunting you this will get you KILLED.

Since wargameing has chosen to NERFF damage by planes in numerous ways like AA death in tiers 9 and 10 or invisible DDs you cant attack till direcctly overhead; a CV usually only does a Cruisers worth of damage per game instead of a BBs worth of damage to be more realistic.

SO NAVIGATOR HAS TO WORK, AND IT DOESN'T, PLEASE FIX!!!!!

• Boring 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,362 posts
16 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Maybe.

I consider the implementation of rocket planes and the loss of controllable fighters to be the BIGGEST disaster.

The development staff betrayed their complete and total ignorance of the PRIMARY function of a carrier in the RTS meta.

They tried desperately for YEARS to stop players from prioritizing air superiority over doing damage...while ignoring that air superiority is what won games rather than pure damage output.

The rework 'solution' was to remove the ability to gain air superiority at all...

...which inevitably led to the surface ships greatest fears being realized. They are now helpless against a ship that ALWAYS has the initiative advantage...without any recourse.

Sigh.

The total loss of ability to defend the fleet was another major disaster, yes. 

(And no, rebork defenders, the little fighter cloud that can be dropped doesn't count, it's a useless frippery.)

I gave up on CVs when WG made it clear that they wanted the primary function of CVs removed from the game.  I used to play AS build USN carriers a ton, until WG removed that choice from the game, and made it clear that it was just the first step -- at that point I stopped playing CVs. 

[CNO]
Members
6,074 posts
18,524 battles

Been messed up for a while. Over time, I've kinda learned what to do and not do with my CV...but I still occasionally get screwed.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,751 battles
8 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

Been messed up for a while. Over time, I've kinda learned what to do and not do with my CV...but I still occasionally get screwed.

Same here.

You basically learn your handling characteristics on the map screen and eventually dont ask the autopilot to do something it cant do...

...but there is no way to learn this except by experience.

[TRU]
Members
695 posts
20,122 battles
8 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

Ship autopilot has had too much vodka. Autopilot drives like he is following Yellow Beard's treasure map.

Well put.  

I'd prefer the RTS days of ship navigation.  Make your own waypoints and not move at 5 knots to avoid an island and then still hit it.  

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,751 battles
30 minutes ago, mpwardawg said:

Well put.  

I'd prefer the RTS days of ship navigation.  Make your own waypoints and not move at 5 knots to avoid an island and then still hit it.  

I used the autopilot often during RTS days as well...it was much worse than today's autopilot...

But yes, with the RTS, I could drive the problematic parts of a course manually while directing my planes. It was the best of both worlds.

[CYNIC]
Members
2,777 posts
7,012 battles

Well yes, the auto pilot has been hosed a while but mine is ONLY plotting backwards as what must occur to hit the first waypoint.  Stopped, forward, reverse, no matter what the ship is actually doing, the damn thing still says it must first back up.

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
2,751 battles
1 hour ago, NoSoMo said:

Well yes, the auto pilot has been hosed a while but mine is ONLY plotting backwards as what must occur to hit the first waypoint.  Stopped, forward, reverse, no matter what the ship is actually doing, the damn thing still says it must first back up.

How close to you are you setting the waypoint?

[WPORT]
Members
6,600 posts
11,609 battles
8 hours ago, Soshi_Sone said:

+1

[CYNIC]
Members
2,777 posts
7,012 battles
7 hours ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

How close to you are you setting the waypoint?

Doesn't matter where I put it, ship goes backwards first.