You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JackSparrow_665

Prinz Eitel Friedrich or Graf Spee

90 comments in this topic

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles

Which of these two tier 6 premiums give you the most bang for your buck?

Edit: I have decided to get the Prinz Eitel Frederich.

Reasons:

• Bigger guns.
  • More guns.
  • Its incredibly fast for a battleship (28 kn) while the Graf Spee is incredibly slow for a cruiser (28.5kn)
  • PEF has better armor, guns, secondaries, and anti-aircraft defense.
  • PEF is beautiful. Graf Spee looks like an ugly duckling with those two massive gun turrets.
Edited by JackSparrow_665

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,705 posts
19,894 battles

Spee, no question.

• Cool 7

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,705 posts
19,894 battles
Just now, JackSparrow_665 said:

Why tho?

More enjoyable to play, better guns, better shells, great arcs on decent torpedoes and way more history behind her.

• Cool 3

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
7 minutes ago, Lert said:

More enjoyable to play, better guns, better shells, great arcs on decent torpedoes and way more history behind her.

*sadness noises* B-but the Prinz Eitel Friedrich is such a beautiful ship........

[WOLFC]
Members
1,995 posts
10,433 battles
15 minutes ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

Definitely Graf Spee. I thought PEF was an “okay” ship when she dropped in Dec 2018 when I ground out the special steel mission (~60 random battles, IIRC), but after the CV rework she lost her one standout feature, her AA. Without that, the poor gun handling, terrible AP penetration, and secondaries that don’t benefit from the manual secondaries skill (but they are good for a tier 6) are just too much. I can’t remember the last time I played her.

If you are looking for a mid-tier German BB, Scharnhorst is a much better investment.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 2

[B-G-N]
Members
381 posts
539 battles
Just now, Battlecruiser_Repulse said:

I'm going to be the outlier and vote PEF. Fun boat. I find Spee too fragile.

Yay!

[DDCO]
[DDCO]
Members
100 posts
14,960 battles

I have found both ships to be good. I personally prefer the P.E.F over the spee. With the right build she is a beast. Bigger gun's 14" vs 11", more of them, 8 vs 6.  better secondarie's and AA than the spee. It's just as fast and has good manuverability.  When used properly, the P.E.F is a brawling monster. I regularly take out tier 6/7/8 ship's with no issue's. I like the spee's torp's and balistic's, but they are not enough to overcome it's weakness's.

• Cool 3

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,159 posts

PEF over Spee, no contest. Unless you have an unhealthy addiction to making torp runs in fat cruisers with delusions of being a battleship in armor. (It isn't.)

[REVY]
Members
2,505 posts
13,439 battles
17 minutes ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

why not both?

Both I find are fun.

Both do have weak AA. Spee can be squishy so you can't play her as a BB, even though she has BB type guns. PEF has decent secondaries and while she does have the typical german dispersion, I don't find it as bad others. If anything its better since the update. 

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
27 minutes ago, Lert said:

That and the fact that P.E.F. lacks the main defining feature of German battleships: turtleback armor.  You can reliably citadel a broadside P.E.F. much easier than any other German BB.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,002 battles

PEF I think is the easier ship to have fun in, Spee being more demanding and requiring a higher level of skills. I enjoy both, but honestly play PEF more because I find her the more forgiving ship. Also I use PEF in scenario battles, rarely use Spee there. Playstyle will have a huge impact on your decision here, as the styles required for each ship are very different.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
27 minutes ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

Why tho?

Graf Spee is more compact in size, carries 2 gun turrets that are very similar to those carried by Scharnhorst, you get 8km ranged torpedoes with very good firing arcs, hit like freight trains, and enemy often does not expect those since most German cruisers get 6km torpedoes. Secondary guns are rather short ranged, but if you have some how managed to find yourself in a close ranged encounter those secondary guns will make themselves felt although you should not try to rely on them. AA guns are semi adequate, so you will want to carry premium version of catapult fighters consumables aid your AA in fending off air attacks. The HP heals Graf Spee gets are quite nice and is the only tier 6 cruiser that can heal GP back onto its hull other than the Leander.

And of course Graf Spee looks nice and has a lot of real world history to her.

PE Friedrich is a Battlecruiser that has decent armor, good speed, adequate AA, and the secondary guns are good for a tier 6 ship. The guns can hit hard, but the dispersion is temperamental and tends to misbehave which means you have to fight at mid to close ranges. However the armor will not always hold up against some targets at close range so you need to pick and chose your targets more careful and know when to move in and when to run away which is typical of the Battlecruiser play styles as they are an in between Cruiser and Battleship classes. So BCs can murder cruisers, fight against other BCs, but they often have to be a little more careful about not picking fights with the wrong BBs. 

Honestly I would say get both ships, but if only 1 ship can be purchased go with Graf Spee. While Graf Spee is once again main a cruiser killer, those 8km torpedoes can certainly bring down battleships rather quickly.

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,893 posts
11,670 battles
5 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

Unless you have an unhealthy addiction to making torp runs in fat cruisers

Please in these times of hyper sensitivity something less offensive such as . The portly cruiser , The stout cruiser , The burly cruiser , or my favorite The corpulent cruiser . Thank you for understanding 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 9

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
4 minutes ago, Umikami said:

PEF I think is the easier ship to have fun in, Spee being more demanding and requiring a higher level of skills. I enjoy both, but honestly play PEF more because I find her the more forgiving ship. Also I use PEF in scenario battles, rarely use Spee there. Playstyle will have a huge impact on your decision here, as the styles required for each ship are very different.

Yeah this is true, I ended up giving my Graf Spee it’s own specialized 19 point captain because of the Graf Spee’s unusual needs. And meanwhile most of my other tier 6 ships only get 10-12 point captains assigned to them.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,663 posts
15,713 battles

Do you want a straight-up Dreadnought-era battlecruiser (Eitel), or do you want a Swiss Army Knife (Spee)?

I have found Spee's relatively low rate of fire to be a hassle in scenarios when multiple bot light cruisers can easily swarm you, because you take a fast-firing CL out of the matchmaking and you also don't have the multiple turrets of a BB to compensate, but she's great fun in co-op. IMHO Eitel fits more naturally to the matchmaking she's assigned, even if her guns aren't quite as heavy as the other ships at her tier that classify as BB. She also has secondaries worth putting a secondary-build captain into her, if you have one. Even though the improvement in dispersion that MFCS gives isn't anywhere near as good at T6 as at T7+, she has enough of them that secondary-hit farming for directive missions in co-op can be fun, and it buffs her AA to the point where she can easily farm bot CV for airplane kills if she's targeted.

That's my take. Whatever you buy, you need to sort out for yourself exactly how you plan to use her, and how she fits in with and around your existing German ships & captains.

[BGSSC]
[BGSSC]
Members
2,619 posts
10,480 battles

I'm on the Graf Spee bandwagon.  I liked the ship whenever I played it.  I didn't enjoy the PEF nearly as much as I liked the Spee.  The Spee will get you matched up with a cruiser.  The PEF will get you matched up with a BB.  The Spee will generally out perform most T6 cruisers if you play it right, and it is generally quite easy to play.  The PEF won't outperform most T6 BBs for most players.

The problem with the Spee, is that players try to play it like a light cruiser and be shifty.  It is a bit cumbersome for that, and should be played like a heavy cruiser instead, even though it has light cruiser armor.  It isn't a brawler either, so stay at a comfortable gun range.  When you get those big guns on a target, it does some nasty damage, especially to equally matched cruisers.

• Cool 1

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
3,911 posts
12,319 battles
31 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

That and the fact that P.E.F. lacks the main defining feature of German battleships: turtleback armor.  You can reliably citadel a broadside P.E.F. much easier than any other German BB.

The same applies to Graf Spee, She lacks the iconic turtleback of most German Ships. Even Nuremberg has a turtleback while Spee does not. Spee's privilage is 8km torpedoes with forward firing arcs, a heal and huge [edited] guns for a t6 and a rucksack full of consumables. 

However, Graf Spee's thin hull plating really let her down against about everything. Not enough plating to break HE, not enough hull or deck plating to bounce BB AP. Spee is a ship you have to know what your doing and what your team is doing to make work. She's like an Atlanta in dependence on skill and map awareness while like a Roma on gunnery. She has a huge number of secondaries but really cant use them due to their short range even with AFT. 

Personally I got Graf Spee for free. Aside for history and the occasional LoL moments with her torpedoes on top of the trollish heal, I wouldn't buy her outside of my love for naval science and history. The choice is yours, but I've always been a cruiser player; and that's worked out for me. That said, if for randoms, for me Spee gives me satisfaction but for competitive, PEF would give you more bang for your buck.

• Cool 1

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,024 posts
14,432 battles
1 hour ago, JackSparrow_665 said:

Aloha,

Just my 2 credits, I would prefer Spee, she's pretty swift for her tier, good hydro, the guns actually can chunk quite a bit of damage. You DO have to be careful because it can get blapped pretty easily but I just find her more fun than the PEF.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

[H_]
Members
749 posts
12,111 battles

I have both, I like the PEF better.  Spee is ok, but with only 2 turrets and slow traverse I always get the feeling i'm under gunned !  Typical German dispersion..  Torps are nice but with the 2 turrets i just don't feel like i'm getting the best bang for my buck.

The PEF, good AA, good secondaries, pretty durable, only 8 barrels but it just seems to be more bang for the buck..

Probably not a bad idea to have both.. Not to mention one players gold is another players Junk.. 

Good luck.

[UNC]
Members
814 posts
6,081 battles

Spee gets my vote as well.  I want to like PEF more than I do, but the wonky dispersion and weak AP shells just make it more frustrating than fun to drive IMO.  Mistakes will be punished much harder in Spee, but the guns just flat out work better.

[KSE]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,732 posts
18,203 battles

PEF is a Christmas reward ship, in the same vein as the Gorizia.  Is it a horrible ship?  Opinions vary but most players find it difficult to use as effectively as ANY OTHER tier 6 BB.  Much like the Gorizia is as near to the bottom as possible when I think of a tier 7 cruiser I would like to play.  Graf Spee is easier to employ and has more punch, especially the torps with exceptionally generous firing angles . For money or dubs - Graf Spee hands down.  For Masochism or collection filling - PEF.

[PHD]
Members
217 posts
6,412 battles

I like both ships well, but I prefer PEF. I like playing the Spee accompanied with a battleship. I find this combination of a battleship firing AP at another Battleship and the Spee firing HE at the same target can quickly subdue the target. The Spee really take a beating with multiple Light Cruisers and Destroyers, or one to one against a Battleship, against it. I love the PEF! Very good guns with good ballistics. I consistently have good battles with this ship. The secondaries are good enough to make Light Cruisers and Destroyers think twice about getting too close. There are times when my PEF is engaged in a close turning battle with a Battleship when I hear the announcement that a Destroyer has been sunk by the secondaries faced outside the turning radius.

[A-O]
Members
1,025 posts
10,470 battles

I bought Spee for $$ (despite her bad rep. as a difficult ship) simply for her history. Visiting Montevideo is on my bucket list!

It took a fair number of battles to find a play style that suits her and me but now she is my most played ship with Gneisenau in 2nd.

I do not have PEF and am not very interested in her as she is only a paper ship. I'll eventually get her to fill my collection but don't think she will see much action.