You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
tm63au

God Give Me Strength I'm Going To Grind Izumo

46 comments in this topic

[POP]
Members
2,923 posts
23,676 battles

I have been both dreading and putting this day off for almost half a year for The Izumo, the thought of having to virtually bow camp and reverse makes me shudder.

I bought the Nelson because of history and bit of fun, play it once  in a blue moon or for special events in Coop.

Got the French Dunk as my gift from WG again its for special occasions and events in Coop.

Bought the French Tech tree counterpart because I needed steel, again my use of this ships is the as its premium sister, so I fear it will take me 10 years to get to the tier 9 French BB.

Izumo what can I say that will be another 10 year stint in Coop to grind up so times that by 2, god will this game even be still going by then. 

Luckily bots in Coop are not that bright in some ways I may be able avoid having to run and get my a$$ shot off, however in random that's a different story its bow camp and reverse or die.

All the pains taking grinding, the curb stomping's and steam rolling I have been on the receiving end of to get to this and it all comes down to forward firing BB's to get to the ultimate prize.

So tonight I put on the my Clans advice section the situation at hand and one brave soul said I should grind it because its not the " OLD " version, old new what difference does that make it still has no aft Main Turrets.

As I look over this ship and in particular the deck I see it has nothing in fact you could probably put a tennis court just behind the secondaries and before the seaplanes.

Just forward of Amidships on one side you put a lawn bowls strip down on the other a cricket pitch.

Any chance WG might swap this ship out for IJN Tosa  class Battleship in say the next 48 hours I will hold off for a mini patch.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo not Izumo anything but Izumo

Edited by tm63au
  • Confused 1

[PVE]
Members
4,661 posts
20,600 battles

I did that last year or so ago since I am an IJN main.  For me, the Amagi almost made me leave the game.  The Izzy wasn't that bad.......  That bad means it is sometimes frustrating but doable.  I did it in COOP.   And, if I can, anyone can.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Most players dismiss Izumo as still being a terrible ship.  While still an awkward ship (especially compared to the rest in the line), her slew of semi-recent buffs actually make her a pretty strong ship in the right hands.  I honestly don't mind playing her at all these days.

As for the bow camp and reverse playstyle, it's one that I've never embraced and don't use on Izumo either.  Her armor is good enough that you can angle away in a slow kite method to mitigate most heavy damage most of the time, while still keeping all 9 guns on target (versus bow camping, which only allows you a maximum of 6 guns on target).

• Cool 3

[O_O]
Members
6,765 posts
16,194 battles

If you have the Free XP available, it is worth it to jump ahead to the B hull, at least.

Once fully upgraded, I didn't think Izumo was all that bad.

Playing in Random with Frosty Fir or New Year Streamer camo, premium time, and all the XP signals, you should be able to earn 15-20k XP with a win.  That should knock your grind down to a week, +/-.

• Cool 1

[MOOW]
[MOOW]
Members
679 posts
24,486 battles

The izumo has been upgraded too monster status from trash status thanks too buffs....you'll be fine..Even i hated this thing prior too its buffs.

[PROJX]
Beta Testers
776 posts
4,902 battles

Actually, Izumo is pretty solid, just finished her grind not to long ago. 

She has solid deck armor and accuracy, and small super structure so you can't be HE farmed as easily. 

She's best played as a bow in tanker, but can be used to kite thanks to her gun set up. 

All in all, she ain't bad. My biggest complaint was that she's not the prettiest out there, but definetly not the worst. 

If you want worst, try playing ognevoi or monarch. Blech. 

[UN1]
Members
1,280 posts
3,946 battles

I'm actually leveling through the Izumo right now. She's actually an incredibly strong ship now. Her accuracy is very good, her penetration is fantastic, and her ballistics make it super easy to hit targets at range. Her reputation is worse than her reality.

Only one thing I noticed though. It's like her dispersion is influenced by the angle of your ship. If you're broadside to your target whose also broadside, then the shells land beautifully. If you're perpendicular to your target, then it's like your shells land in front and behind a bunch. Very odd. And maybe I'm just full of it, but I found when I try and match the angle of the target I'm firing at, I have a lot more success with her shots.

And dang, her guns are goooooooooood.

[WOLF2]
Members
1,652 posts
11,669 battles

I had the same dread.   Of course, I went to Youtube to see if there were any guidance videos.   Good news - there are several.   I watched Flamu's video, applied his guidance, and actually enjoyed the grind.

Even took her into the T9 Ranked that was going on at the time, and ground her to Yamato in relatively short order.       From Flamu's video, he doesn't do the bow tanking in the video.    I did the same.

Give her a try - you may not be disappointed. 

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,703 posts
19,886 battles

Izumo is nowhere near as bad as her reputation suggests.

• Cool 1

[FEM]
Members
2,073 posts
17,219 battles

Izumo used to be a struggle because it was atrocious while stock. Nowadays it has been buffed and overbuffed and is arguably one of if not the strongest T9 BB. You'll be jussssst fine

[BROOK]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,159 posts

The secondaries on the upgraded hulls gives me the happy feelings. She's not the dog that she was back in the early days. (stock or elited)

[REVY]
Members
2,503 posts
13,431 battles

Izumo plays pretty similar to the Nelson, other then the 3rd turret.

She isn't as bad as she once was

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,991 battles
54 minutes ago, tm63au said:

Got a Dunk in a Super Crate, and flogged my way through her French tier 8 counterpart Richelieu, and just traded in my beloved Amagi (great BB!) for Izumo. So when you're tearing your hair out by the roots and screaming at RNGeezus about why he hates you, see if I'm on line and we can be a frustrated division. Misery loves company, and I'm grinding her too!

38 minutes ago, PotatoMD said:

If you want worst, try playing ognevoi or monarch.

Monarch is a VERY frustrating ship. 

• Cool 1

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,444 posts

It'd be nice if they revise the turret layout to be similar to the 20" Izzy they are going to premium in at T10.  

Of course, the major drawback to the ship is it will routinely face the Yammy which can pretty much pen any bow tanker.

Members
1,725 posts
11,839 battles

Izu is no where near as bad as it use to be.   It has received a lot of buffs since i played it and it was meh back then.  As it was said above, kiting at an angle lets you get all your guns on target while staying angled.  Just dont give them a straight shot at back of the ship or you will eat large damage/cits.  Kiting away at an angle also lets you hide those weak points between the first gun and the second. the cheeks are angled in a way that when you angle your ship at a slight  angle, they present a flat plate for a shell to pen and stick in the ship

using FXP to skip to the last hull or things like that is useful no matter the ship.  I tend to play a game or 2 to save some FXP before i make up the xp difference. 

but yea, if you want to play meh/bad boat, play monarch or ognevoi.

[NG-NL]
Members
6,259 posts
10,088 battles

I ground through Izumo prior to some of her recent buffs.

Simply, she's more of a defensive tank. Angled, her armor can take an incredible amount of AP punishment even from Yamato. Play her at mid-range to draw some HE cruiser spam and you can also evade torps pretty easily if keep your team's DDs between you and enemy team.

Her guns seem to prefer angled targets, so I relied mostly on HE unless got within mid-range. As long as don't overextend and get focused down, your ability to survive is a help winning some battles.

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,117 battles
20 minutes ago, Umikami said:
1 hour ago, PotatoMD said:

If you want worst, try playing ognevoi or monarch. Blech. 

Monarch is a VERY frustrating ship. 

How is Monarch frustrating? I’m working on the RN BB line myself and on paper at least Monarch seems to be decent.

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
1 hour ago, tm63au said:

I have been both dreading and putting this day off for almost half a year for The Izumo, the thought of having to virtually bow camp and reverse makes me shudder.

I bought the Nelson because of history and bit of fun, play it once  in a blue moon or for special events in Coop.

Got the French Dunk as my gift from WG again its for special occasions and events in Coop.

Bought the French Tech tree counterpart because I needed steel, again my use of this ships is the as its premium sister, so I fear it will take me 10 years to get to the tier 9 French BB.

Izumo what can I say that will be another 10 year stint in Coop to grind up so times that by 2, god will this game even be still going by then. 

Luckily bots in Coop are not that bright in some ways I may be able avoid having to run and get my a$$ shot off, however in random that's a different story its bow camp and reverse or die.

All the pains taking grinding, the curb stomping's and steam rolling I have been on the receiving end of to get to this and it all comes down to forward firing BB's to get to the ultimate prize.

So tonight I put on the my Clans advice section the situation at hand and one brave soul said I should grind it because its not the " OLD " version, old new what difference does that make it still has no aft Main Turrets.

As I look over this ship and in particular the deck I see it has nothing in fact you could probably put a tennis court just behind the secondaries and before the seaplanes.

Just forward of Amidships on one side you put a lawn bowls strip down on the other a cricket pitch.

Any chance WG might swap this ship out for IJN Tosa  class Battleship in say the 48 hours I will hold off for a mini patch.

You can save yourself some credits by not buying the B hull and instead waiting to spend the credits on the C hull to ease the pain of the grind some what. I remember the pain of that grind, and Izumo is one of the few ships I actually sold after getting through the grind.

And you would think it might be it’s size, armor, mobility, AA, or something like that that would cause the most pain. But for me it was it’s temperamental main guns. I never knew if RNG would insist on my using HE or AP in order to scrape by with some what decent scores. Rey go to shell choice is AP for BBs, but after a lot of shatters, bounces, even over pens, I would get desperate and try to use HE to set some fires. Then the next battle it might deprive me of fires so I would end up having to use AP again. Sometimes the ship could actually pull some nice damage scores, even some citadel hits.

Thankfully the C hull actually gave me decent AA and secondary guns which felt like a bit of mercy to that agonizing grind. And I have loved my Yamato which has been worth all the trouble of the Izumo grind.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
14 minutes ago, Dareios said:

If you hate bow tanking, then why would you want a Yamato?

Yamato does not have to bow tank, I have had many battles where I used it’s good mobility to fight on the move.

[WOLF6]
Members
599 posts
9,955 battles

I just started the IJN BB grind. At T6 right now, so thanks for the comments on this topic.

Beta Testers
956 posts
3,992 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Izumo is nowhere near as bad as her reputation suggests.

1 hour ago, Kebobstuzov said:

Izumo used to be a struggle because it was atrocious while stock. Nowadays it has been buffed and overbuffed and is arguably one of if not the strongest T9 BB. You'll be jussssst fine

Izumo has the reputation because the initial implementation in the game had a number of special handicaps. Huge size and T9 aside, it had worse stock rounds than what were at T7 and was quite poorly armored. It wasn't at all clear why it was as big as it was, put it that way.

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
13,558 battles

It has been buffed, and not as bad as it used to be. I'm an average player and I did it in 50 games with a 52% win rate without using any Free XP, if I recall correctly.

from the Wiki:

Once considered by many to be among the worst Tier IX ships in the game, Izumo has seen a variety of improvements since the launch of World of Warships. While her stock hull still has mediocre secondaries, a weak anti-aircraft battery, and bad turning characteristics, the AP shell penetration of Hull (A) has been significantly improved, allowing her guns (at least) to remain competitive against the likes of Iowa and Friedrich der Große beyond 15km. The central weather deck was increased to 57mm to mitigate damage from high explosive shells from 203mm and IFHE 152mm guns. The concealment, once among the worst of any ship in the game, has been considerably improved, though still on the lower end of the spectrum for Tier IX battleships.

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

Izumo really isn't that bad anymore. It's got great armor, tight shell groupings, and great pen. It's layout is still awkward but the rest of it's parameters have been buffed to the point you can make it work.  

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,703 posts
19,886 battles
1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Yamato

1 hour ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

good mobility

tptasOn.jpg