You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sinboto

Old ships you still love.

63 comments in this topic

[NDA]
Beta Testers
3,574 posts
7,731 battles

Ok so we all know that as an online game WOWs has new ships coming in all the time, premium ships, new lines and coal ships yada yada. But sometimes I just like to go back to some of the older ships in the game and enjoy myself.

Mogami was pretty much my favourite ship (until fiji, after Murmansk and aoba) when I was starting out as a little captainlit. I've just gotten her back while grinding the line for a second time (research bureau) and I've rediscovered my love for the six-inch gun version I mean ok the turret traverse sucks six ways to hell (seriously slow for a cruiser) but still it's pretty fun!

What are some of the older ships that you can't help but enjoy despite their age? 

Mine are: 

Mogami

Aoba (first love)

Murmansk

Kamikaze R

St. louis

Clemson (because of double gun DD at T4)

Edit: I forgot warspite! D:

Edited by Sinboto
  • Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,904 battles

Atago.

Bogatyr.

• Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,298 posts
12,976 battles

Still Kongo for me. Can't beat something that big, going that fast, all on a map the size of a postage stamp.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,904 battles
37 minutes ago, Kirov_Six said:

Bogatyr (no 130mm guns please).  

The 130s are the whole point of the ship, much better guns than the 152s - provided you have a high point captain.

<Edit> Let me explain ...

• The 130s are subject to the Basic Firing Training and Advanced Firing Training skills.
  • The 130s have a higher muzzle velocity
  • The 130s have a higher fire chance

Basic firing training brings the reload down to 9 seconds, the same reload rate as the 152s. Advanced firing training gives the 130s 13.6 km range, compared to 11.4 on the 152s. The higher muzzle velocity means that you can actually put warheads on foreheads at 13km range, and the higher fire chance means you'll farm more DOT damage, Bogatyr's bread and butter.

[RLGN]
Members
14,939 posts
26,466 battles

St Louis, Wyoming, Marblehead, Pumpkin, Bogue, (even if I can’t play it,) Old Pyramid version Furutaka, New Mexico, Warspite, Colorado.

• Cool 1

Members
3,105 posts
12,308 battles

Not so old, but the oldest I still take out on the regular are Missouri and Musashi.  Very classic warships in every way, and can still hold their own to this day.

• Cool 1

[LOS]
Members
864 posts
14,623 battles
38 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

The Tier-3 French Cruiser, Friant is still fun to sail.  :-)

https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Friant

I fell in love with Friant as a noob.  Architecturally she is drop dead gorgeous.  I couldn't believe I could own such beauty at t3 and I still like looking at her! 

wolf.jpg

• Funny 1

[WOLF1]
Members
5,973 posts
27 minutes ago, Lert said:

The 130s are the whole point of the ship, much better guns than the 152s - provided you have a high point captain.

<Edit> Let me explain ...

• The 130s are subject to the Basic Firing Training and Advanced Firing Training skills.
  • The 130s have a higher muzzle velocity
  • The 130s have a higher fire chance

Basic firing training brings the reload down to 9 seconds, the same reload rate as the 152s. Advanced firing training gives the 130s 13.6 km range, compared to 11.4 on the 152s. The higher muzzle velocity means that you can actually put warheads on foreheads at 13km range, and the higher fire chance means you'll farm more DOT damage, Bogatyr's bread and butter.

Hmm, I'll have to remember that when I have something higher than a 3-pointer in it!

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,714 posts
19,904 battles
Just now, Kirov_Six said:

Hmm, I'll have to remember that when I have something higher than a 3-pointer in it!

Always happy to spread the gospel of Saint Boggy :cat_cool:

[-AGW-]
Members
999 posts
14,810 battles
43 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Still Kongo for me. Can't beat something that big, going that fast, all on a map the size of a postage stamp.

YES. Still great. Can snipe and can brawl. Good thing I have a bunch of her clones too :Smile_playing:

• Cool 1

[RCNW3]
Members
1,943 posts
20,063 battles

Cambeltown - my first DD and premium 

Prinz Eugen - bought her 1st day she came out - rode her heavy during Ranked Sprint 

Atago - Still a beast

Gearing - my first tier 10, when there was only three full lines of DDs - still play her almost every day still fun even with the massive power creep

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,117 battles

Arizona, New Mexico, Pensacola, New Orleans, Omaha, Phoenix, St Louis, Des Moines, Wichita (don’t care if she’s recent she’s still a Baltimore at heart), Baltimore, Hindenburg (even though I just got her), Roon, Fiji, Atlanta, Kidd, and basically the entire IJN CA line. 

Maybe I should’ve just named ship lines...

19 minutes ago, Mego_Splat said:

Emerald

Are you mad or a masochist?

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
945 posts
10,723 battles

Bismarck. Had the board game that my dad used as a kid and played it on the regular. When i found this game and saw I could get her it was the first line i ground.

also kaga cuz of the original Midway but I sold her after the rework so maybe doesn’t apply anymore

also Mogami and Leander 

Edited by ditka_Fatdog
  • Cool 1