You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Umikami

Getting good Wiki

30 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,025 battles

Can new ships PLEASE be released to the Wiki workers BEFORE they are released so the player base can have an idea of how the ships perform and what upgrades and Captain's skills work best with them? I just looked at the Wiki entry for Devonshire and it's really a blank page in many respects. I was about to get mad at the Wiki contributors when I thought "Hmmmmmm, Self! (that's how I talk to myself when I do) How would the Wiki contributors know how that ship performs when most of them haven't even seen it yet?" And I didn't have a good answer for that. So instead of ragging on the Wiki staff, how about WG trade some early access to new ships for some updated and current Wiki entries on those same ships? I mean really, they give new ships to Jingles, who promptly abuses them and to Notser, who drives them into islands, why not the Wiki crew who actually do something useful? Since we're going to play them in early release then knowing about them would only improve the game. My two cents and now, back to drinking!

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,264 posts
17,123 battles
4 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Can new ships PLEASE be released to the Wiki workers BEFORE they are released so the player base can have an idea of how the ships perform and what upgrades and Captain's skills work best with them? I just looked at the Wiki entry for Devonshire and it's really a blank page in many respects. I was about to get mad at the Wiki contributors when I thought "Hmmmmmm, Self! (that's how I talk to myself when I do) How would the Wiki contributors know how that ship performs when most of them haven't even seen it yet?" And I didn't have a good answer for that. So instead of ragging on the Wiki staff, how about WG trade some early access to new ships for some updated and current Wiki entries on those same ships? I mean really, they give new ships to Jingles, who promptly abuses them and to Notser, who drives them into islands, why not the Wiki crew who actually do something useful? Since we're going to play them in early release then knowing about them would only improve the game. My two cents and now, back to drinking!

The wiki editors do have early access to ships to work on the pages ahead of ship release. Typically speaking pages go live the day that the ships go into full release.

I will chat with the wiki team and see how they are on the RN CA pages.

Fem, 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,025 battles
1 minute ago, Femennenly said:

If they really do get early release access to new ships then you'll be very happy you don't pay them.

• Funny 2
  • Boring 1

[GGWP]
Members
7,151 posts
16,416 battles

My impression is WarGaming is dragging their heels on getting usable information into the wiki database (updated cvs/aa/etc) and the wiki editors are frustrated that WG doesn't seem to care so interest from the wiki editors has followed. 

Complain to WG if you want the wiki to thrive, they are the ones at fault and why the wiki editors feel it's useless to keep updating when WG doesn't seem to care and won't give them the data they need. 

[FEM]
Members
2,084 posts
17,244 battles

As always you have to remember that the word of the wiki is not gospel. More often than not the suggested builds/playstyles given there are not the best possible advice and sometimes just downright misleading. It is a good resource but as with everything, a grain of salt or two is needed.

• Cool 3

[MINVY]
[MINVY]
Members
760 posts
7,022 battles

And doesn't some minor tweaking result from the data collected in early access? At least in theory. 

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
3,913 posts
11,676 battles
1 hour ago, Umikami said:

My two cents and now, back to drinking!

Well said +1 

[B2P]
[B2P]
Beta Testers
148 posts
10,008 battles
1 hour ago, Kebobstuzov said:

As always you have to remember that the word of the wiki is not gospel. More often than not the suggested builds/playstyles given there are not the best possible advice and sometimes just downright misleading. It is a good resource but as with everything, a grain of salt or two is needed.

That's unfortunately the downside of a wiki site since it is open for anyone to suggest edits. More so for example when you look up certain classes like battleships and the build suggestion lists skills like "Radio Finder" or "Survivability Expert".

As long as that option is there, it will continue to be a mess when it comes to accurate information. Those that have wiki authorization should at least reject edit submissions that are just downright...silly.

[WPORT]
Members
6,690 posts
11,681 battles
2 hours ago, Femennenly said:

The wiki editors do have early access to ships to work on the pages ahead of ship release. Typically speaking pages go live the day that the ships go into full release.

Fem, 

:cap_like:

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,447 posts
20,665 battles

The Wiki has been declining in value since WG stopped maintaining the API or whatever that lets it pull ship specs from the database. CVs are STILL in some nonsensical misaligned table as far as I know. I’m not a Wiki editor, but I’m sure it’s hard to feel motivated to put in the volunteer hours when the company you’re trying to help out sits on your requests for... what, a year now?

• Cool 2

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles
3 hours ago, Femennenly said:

Fem, 

And also, the Audacious forum page is still not complete.

[GGWP]
Members
7,151 posts
16,416 battles
45 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

And also, the Audacious forum page is still not complete.

Which cv page is? 

Members
3,436 posts
40,926 battles

I have a suggestion.

Just ask a veteran player that has the ship now.

I think I got the ship. I will have to check.

I know I got the tier 5 and 6 ones so far.

I do sail all types. So asking me later this week and I will have an answer to any questions concerning upgrades, skills, handling.

I tend to do the test pilot thing.

I try to break the ship. A true shakedown cruise.

If there are issues, I will know.

Just DM me about it.

My early impression of the tier 6 so far is that despite main armaments upgrade, and preventive maintenance skill, the front turrets can be damaged or destroyed if one is not careful.

AP is very good. HE is nasty. Torps are useful. They turn okay, but you can get a nice tight turn if you slow down briefly, then go full ahead.

Armor holds up to other cruisers, but make one mistake against a BB and back to port.

Secbat is meh. It's dual purpose though.

I put Jingles on mine, so I will probably move him around the heavy cruisers for a while.

Let me know later about other captain skills, right now I am still tweaking the skills.

Her current weak points is turrets get damaged and bad driving.

I did drive it like I stole it, so I got in trouble quick.

Members
224 posts
1,678 battles
14 hours ago, Femennenly said:

Do they have early access to ship changes such as what happened to Henri, Kleber, and Hinde in the last patch?  Dare I even look to see if those updates have been addressed?

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
13 hours ago, Edgecase said:

The Wiki has been declining in value since WG stopped maintaining the API or whatever that lets it pull ship specs from the database. CVs are STILL in some nonsensical misaligned table as far as I know. I’m not a Wiki editor, but I’m sure it’s hard to feel motivated to put in the volunteer hours when the company you’re trying to help out sits on your requests for... what, a year now?

Knowing this makes me feel a bit better for now applying to be a Wiki editor in the first place, as it was something that originally interested me.

[-K-]
-Members-, WoWS Community Contributors
2,684 posts
12,875 battles
16 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

My impression is WarGaming is dragging their heels on getting usable information into the wiki database (updated cvs/aa/etc) and the wiki editors are frustrated that WG doesn't seem to care so interest from the wiki editors has followed. 

I won't speak for the entire team, but for me, this is 100% accurate.

I used to spend 15-20 hours a week editing the wiki.  I haven't touched it in months at this point.  

The back-end table that manages these things is still updated by someone in RU once every patch cycle.  What is utterly baffling is that continues to be updated with useless AA and CV data more than a year after the rework.  

Edited by SeaRaptor00
  • Cool 2

[WG-CC]
Privateers, Members
9,091 posts
7,978 battles

sits on your requests for... what, a year now

Sometimes longer than that even...

Even before the big rework there were cases where the API data was... let‘s say less than ideal. Like this screencap from Farragut‘s page, taken five seconds ago:

AAC660F9-4D21-4E88-B86D-0F791FDA3894.thumb.jpeg.a2087ef6bbc649d4c64b2f8ec75fbf0d.jpeg

This error has been around for more than a year, not sure when it started, but it must‘ve been well before me joining the team which was roughly two years ago.

[FEM]
Retired WoWS Community Contributors
2,264 posts
17,123 battles

I've been in contact with the NA Wiki team and our Dev teams trying to work one some of the limitations and outdated issues with the Wiki.

We're working to try and get some of these issues resolved.

Fem, 

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,615 battles
18 hours ago, Umikami said:

Think about it, 

After CVs, everything had to be revised and updated, along with CC reviews, player videos etc.

WG is pumping out ships and making changes faster than you can blink - the sheer volume of unpaid work must be staggering 

Now, If I was a CC or a wiki editor … wouldn't it make sense to save your energy until after subs? :)

Edited by Commander_367

[KSC]
Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles
18 hours ago, Femennenly said:

Fem, 

Hello Femennenly,  I realize that a lot of this is another department, however I believe part of the problem is that ships are changing right up until release.   I can only imagine the wiki editors reaction to ships that had consumables, modules, and upgrades added/removed between the pre-release version they got to look over and the released version.   

I mean looking back over the game history there have been some massive changes to ships between pre and post release versions.  Which while reasonable, it might be beneficial if development cycles could be pushed forward an extra cycle so there is a new step in between finalizing the release version and the actual release.  Say two weeks that the wiki editors have the ship in the release version to look over before release.   

It seems part of the problem from the wiki editors is that the ships are not final until release day.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,025 battles
4 hours ago, Commander_367 said:

Think about it, 

After CVs, everything had to be revised and updated, along with CC reviews, player videos etc.

WG is pumping out ships and making changes faster than you can blink - the sheer volume of unpaid work must be staggering 

Now, If I was a CC or a wiki editor … wouldn't it make sense to save your energy until after subs? :)

No

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,615 battles
4 minutes ago, Umikami said:

No

"No" you don't want to think about it … or 

"No" there isn't a huge volume of unpaid work required to keep up … or

"No" because subs will restore order and everything will suddenly make sense? :)

It's all very confusing lol 

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,025 battles
37 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

"No" you don't want to think about it … or 

No

38 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

"No" there isn't a huge volume of unpaid work required to keep up … or

No

38 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

"No" because subs will restore order and everything will suddenly make sense? :)

Definitely No, subs will restore nothing and instigate a flurry of discontent as bad or worse than the CV rework did. 

39 minutes ago, Commander_367 said:

It's all very confusing lol 

Only to you.

[WOLF2]
Members
4,985 posts
20,615 battles
9 minutes ago, Umikami said:

No

No

Definitely No, subs will restore nothing and instigate a flurry of discontent as bad or worse than the CV rework did. 

Only to you.

In that case, 

I nominate you the official new wiki editor for WG - congratulations :)

• Funny 1