You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
otakuben

World of Torpedoes

33 comments in this topic

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,054 battles

So I know torpedoes were the go to, ship shinking method. Totally get it. However I do think we may be getting out of hand in terms of how many ships can just fart torps alongside their normal method of dealing damage.

DD's - torp boats, they need them to do well 

CA/CL's - Some definitely need them but many probably don't along side their good guns but I can see why we need some to keep them

BB's - Really? Alongside the semi-normal ability to dev strike ships with main guns we need them to be able to dev strike with torps too?

CV's - well torp bombers were the plane of CV's so they can't go

No i wasn't recently killed by one of these. However I did have a game were half the ships spent time vomitting torps in every direction. Again I completely understand why ships like DD's and some light cruisers need them but can we tone it down a bit? It's kind of disconcerting to see a tier 5,6,7 game were there's 30 torpedoes in the water from cruisers and battleships and only 1 DD anywhere near there.

Just saying.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 5

[FEM]
Members
2,084 posts
17,244 battles

This is nothing compared to the old old days of "torpedo soup" but while I can see the annoyance with constant torps coming from most ships now, I don't really see it as a problem since torps are still nowhere near a primary armament and are largely ineffective in most scenarios for most ships.

• Cool 2

[GRAVE]
Members
1,365 posts
19,536 battles
1 minute ago, otakuben said:

BB's - Really? Alongside the semi-normal ability to dev strike ships with main guns we need them to be able to dev strike with torps too?

only Tirpitz, Mutsu, Scharnhorst, Gnesieau, Kii, and upcoming Odin are the only BBs with torps, and most of them are either useless like Mutsu's, too awkward firing angles or not enough alpha to sink anything like Kii, or in the case of the Germans, you are probably doing something wrong if they dev strike you with torps.

Members
1,674 posts
13,356 battles
3 minutes ago, otakuben said:

So I know torpedoes were the go to, ship shinking method. Totally get it. However I do think we may be getting out of hand in terms of how many ships can just fart torps alongside their normal method of dealing damage.

DD's - torp boats, they need them to do well 

CA/CL's - Some definitely need them but many probably don't along side their good guns but I can see why we need some to keep them

CV's - well torp bombers were the plane of CV's so they can't go

No i wasn't recently killed by one of these. However I did have a game were half the ships spent time vomitting torps in every direction. Again I completely understand why ships like DD's and some light cruisers need them but can we tone it down a bit? It's kind of disconcerting to see a tier 5,6,7 game were there's 30 torpedoes in the water from cruisers and battleships and only 1 DD anywhere near there.

Just saying.

Most of the ship in middle tier are historic accurate and they have torpedo .

But alot of these fake ship , well, you know, they should not even be in game.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,717 posts
19,921 battles
11 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

useless like Mutsu's

Useless but hilarious.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
23 minutes ago, Lert said:

Useless but hilarious.

They actually work quite well in Operations. Very efficient damage dealers in Raptor Rescue.

Members
224 posts
6,093 battles

There are a few things you can do about torpedoes. Some of the best players know at any time where DDs are likely to be and which ships have what torpedoes but for us potatoes, you can use the Vigilance Captain Skill to see them coming sooner. The "Target Acquisition System" module upgrade will also help with that. I especially use those in the BBs which are best at brawling.

Also there are flags and other upgrades that will limit your flooding time if you get hit by torpedoes but survive.

Edited by GoldDust2015

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,344 posts
9,660 battles
1 hour ago, Kebobstuzov said:

This is nothing compared to the old old days of "torpedo soup" 

People that never played in the days of triple Shima divs with the pre-nerf 20km torpedoes (and no radar!) have no idea what a good quality torpedo soup is like :)

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,561 posts
2 minutes ago, GoldDust2015 said:

The "Target Acquisition System" module upgrade will also help with that. I especially use those in the BBs which are best at brawling.

True, but the upcoming plan is to remove it in favor of a different module that gives a different bonus to spotting torps, but none of the other benefits.  You know, instead of just giving us more options.

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
54 minutes ago, Lert said:

Useless but hilarious.

Yeah I might of gotten hit by them in the past... :Smile_veryhappy:

But once you know that Mutsu carries them then they are not a threat anymore really.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
3 minutes ago, vak_ said:

People that never played in the days of triple Shima divs with the pre-nerf 20km torpedoes (and no radar!) have no idea what a good quality torpedo soup is like :)

I remember the old version of Isles of Ice, where it had that group of small bergs to the South East corner, and those 3 large bergs you had to maneuver around to the North West, and that big wide open alley in the middle, it was a nearly constant wave of torps coming down it. Like literally every 40-50 seconds another set would come barreling through. That's why the IJN torps needed to be nerfed; it wasn't just harming BB play, but EVERYONE'S play.

[KNCOL]
Members
812 posts
1,889 battles
1 hour ago, tfcas119 said:

most of them are either useless like Mutsu's

While not the easiest to use I would not they they are usless

Also you just reminded me that I have not played that ship in quite some time so may try and get back with playing her

Edited by Koogus

[REVY]
Members
2,507 posts
13,470 battles
1 hour ago, tfcas119 said:

only Tirpitz, Mutsu, Scharnhorst, Gnesieau, Kii, and upcoming Odin are the only BBs with torps, and most of them are either useless like Mutsu's, too awkward firing angles or not enough alpha to sink anything like Kii, or in the case of the Germans, you are probably doing something wrong if they dev strike you with torps.

^ pretty much this.

If you are Dev struck by a BB you have made an error somewhere.

5 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Kitakami and the days without hydro.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,272 posts
24,681 battles
1 hour ago, macktkau2 said:

I'd rather have every ship in the game with torpedoes than carriers and HE spam.

It was like that, and BB players complained about it, i.e. first round of IJN DD and Torpedo Nerfs in 2015.  IJN DDs used to be FOTM and their Torps used to be a lot more dangerous, stealthier.

It was so effective that WG did those nerfs and then implemented the wider spread of Radar.  Atlanta didn't used to have Radar.  Des Moines didn't have Radar.  Later on they did.

DM in the video below from February 2016 still didn't have Radar.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[WORX]
Members
11,480 posts
19,211 battles
1 hour ago, otakuben said:

tier 5,6,7 game were there's 30 torpedoes in the water from cruisers and battleships and only 1 DD anywhere near there.

Considering the math in making this happen... It doesn't exist as you describe it to be...

In these tiers... The avg reload time for torps from cruisers and BBs is over a minute...

Not only that, the rate of occurrence of seeing torps from BBs is very low... Cruisers next to low, the ones who use cruisers as torp boats are identified by their "pink" markings. 

if you saw 30 torps at one time from a group of ships, shooting at you collectively (highly unlikely), that is great news! You will not see torps again for at least minute or more..

All I am saying the math dont add up to your accounts to say its an issue...

• Boring 1

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
4 minutes ago, vak_ said:

I personally would love to see a triple Kitikami Div with 20km torps... :cap_haloween:

Well until the CVs, gunboat DDs, and CLs found them anyway... :Smile_hiding:

[SIM]
Members
5,419 posts
8,907 battles

Ship torpedoes are one of the most skill intensive weapons in the game, perhaps the most skill intensive outside of a few spammy ships. 

There are probably a dozen legitimate gripes about the balance in World of Warships, the existence or prevalence of ship torpedoes is none of them. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
28,272 posts
24,681 battles
1 minute ago, KHyena said:

torpedo hits rate are at 5~6% of this game, kinda hard say "world of torpedos"

Even in DDs that are acknowledged as dangerous Torpedo DDs, you can find the Unicums on them having single digit hit % with torpedoes.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Edited by Ace_04
  • Cool 1

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,122 battles
7 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I personally would love to see a triple Kitikami Div with 20km torps... :cap_haloween:

Please no. I don’t want to get memed by the mega wall of skill.:cap_cool:

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
12,146 posts
17,201 battles

Nice been awhile since we had a torps are out of hand thread. Kinda of refreshing. 

• Funny 1

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
2,444 posts

OP hasn't caught on that when DDs aren't trying to sneak up to you to a point blank firing range they are running the below checklist:

1. Torpedoes loaded?
  2. Ship kind of in range?
  3. Can I stay hid or get hid when I fire?
  4. And if there's time, are there any friendlies in the way?

Once 3/4 conditions are met, the DD captain spams torpedoes in the general direction of the enemy ship(s). Any successful kit/kill results in an immediate boast of how l33t their DD skills are.