You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
the_rocketrod

Confusion with Goliath.

5 comments in this topic

[GNOME]
Members
4 posts
2,614 battles

Just looking at the Goliaths stats ingame there are some things that confuse me.

Why does it have an 18 second turret traverse time? Did the Brits help themself to the sekret Kremlin WD40? Why the 19 sec reload? just play the Italian cruisers at that point.

Why does it have German Pen on the HE shells?  All it helps you do is pen Kurfust deck plating, something it's supposed to be near-immune too. 

Why does it have 40mm deck plating? It has short range, near Japenese concealment, and was advertised as a close/mid range ship. Won't most shells hit the side, rather than the deck at this range? Would it not make more sense for a 40mm side?

This thing feels kind of power creepy on the german cruisers, taking their mid-range/tanky nature. They have a [edited] ton of health. They have a guaranteed pen on German BB's, something the Hindy doesn't(If my knowledge on HE pen is adequate). Is it power creepy? Maybe a supertaster or someone with experience in it can help here. 

A note: I haven't looked at anything beyond the patch notes and viewing it ingame, it's entirely possible that these have been explained. Thanks

[SALVO]
Members
25,515 posts
27,502 battles
49 minutes ago, the_rocketrod said:

Just looking at the Goliaths stats ingame there are some things that confuse me.

Why does it have an 18 second turret traverse time? Did the Brits help themself to the sekret Kremlin WD40? Why the 19 sec reload? just play the Italian cruisers at that point.

Why does it have German Pen on the HE shells?  All it helps you do is pen Kurfust deck plating, something it's supposed to be near-immune too. 

Why does it have 40mm deck plating? It has short range, near Japenese concealment, and was advertised as a close/mid range ship. Won't most shells hit the side, rather than the deck at this range? Would it not make more sense for a 40mm side?

This thing feels kind of power creepy on the german cruisers, taking their mid-range/tanky nature. They have a [edited] ton of health. They have a guaranteed pen on German BB's, something the Hindy doesn't(If my knowledge on HE pen is adequate). Is it power creepy? Maybe a supertaster or someone with experience in it can help here. 

A note: I haven't looked at anything beyond the patch notes and viewing it ingame, it's entirely possible that these have been explained. Thanks

1. They probably have German HE pen because the devs wanted the RN CAs to be primarily HE spammers. 

2. Why the long reload on the Goliath?  For starters, the Goliath (and the Drake, IIRC) have 9.2" guns, not 8" guns.  So, arguably, a somewhat longer reload is far more justified than for the Italian CAs that only have 8" guns.

3. The national flavor of the RN CAs is tankiness.  That's why they have a lot of health and strong heals.

4. How does the Goliath compare to the Hindenburg? I don't know from experience, but just as a guess, I'd say that the Goliath is more of a tanky HE spammer, while the Hindy is more of a very well rounded CA.

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles
4 hours ago, Crucis said:

RN CAs to be primarily HE spammers

It's about time this game got more HE spammers. They've been so sorely lacking until now.

• Funny 2

[SALVO]
Members
25,515 posts
27,502 battles
6 hours ago, macktkau2 said:

It's about time this game got more HE spammers. They've been so sorely lacking until now.

Honestly, I think that I'd have preferred them to be more balanced between HE and AP.  As they are now, from the impressions I got from CC videos, the Goliath seems somewhat like a CA version of the Conqueror.

[GNOME]
Members
4 posts
2,614 battles
18 hours ago, Crucis said:

1. They probably have German HE pen because the devs wanted the RN CAs to be primarily HE spammers. 

2. Why the long reload on the Goliath?  For starters, the Goliath (and the Drake, IIRC) have 9.2" guns, not 8" guns.  So, arguably, a somewhat longer reload is far more justified than for the Italian CAs that only have 8" guns.

3. The national flavor of the RN CAs is tankiness.  That's why they have a lot of health and strong heals.

4. How does the Goliath compare to the Hindenburg? I don't know from experience, but just as a guess, I'd say that the Goliath is more of a tanky HE spammer, while the Hindy is more of a very well rounded CA.

1: Power creep time. As I said it makes no sense, it has nearly no effect on 99% of ships your shooting at. 

2: If 8" guns reload in 10-13 seconds, it should have 9/8th(1.13x) the reload time, no?. Likewise, some 11" and 12" guns reload in that time. It boggles my mind

3: I thought they were supposed to have POOR armour, hence the heal. I haven't grinded them though, so I don't know first hand. 

4: They are both advertised as good armour (turtleback on hindy) close-range fighters. Hindy gets 6km torps, and hydro. I will give you the rounded bit though, hindy can be effective HE spamming at >20km if you can land hits. 

I want to see WG's rationale on this, some of the decisions on the line make no sense.

13 hours ago, macktkau2 said:

At this point WG's thinking probably goes along the lines of "Every cruiser (and some BB's)shoot HE at everything, what harm will a couple more do?"