You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Helstrem

DDs aren't played anymore.....

57 comments in this topic

[SBS]
Members
6,112 posts

I know you're just having some fun with this post, but the DD population has seen a noteworthy reduction recently.  The "normal" DD population has been about 25% of all games played, its been like that for years (it took a noticeable dip with the release of the rework).  Its now down to 20-21% at high tiers.  DDs have a reduction in low tiers too, but not much as high tiers.  BBs are now dominating the meta making up about 40% of games played.

http://maplesyrup.sweet.coocan.jp/wows/ranking/index.html

• Cool 4
  • Boring 4

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,360 battles

I only play DDs at T9, since T5-8 are flooded with CVs. I play cruisers or battleships, elsewise. CVs make playing a DD tiresome for most players*, so they play them less, that simple.

*I know. Not you. You have no trouble playing DDs even in 6v6 C matches. When you play DD, you one-shot the red CV before killing the other 11 ships with a strong glare and morning breath.

Edited by Taichunger
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,025 battles
53 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

All ships in the match were Tier IX.

The difference between this and real life is as follows; while I see 6 and even 7 BB per side matches almost every day, this is so rare you decided to post a pic about it. The DD population is in a definite decline.

[K0]
Members
208 posts
4,735 battles
47 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I know you're just having some fun with this post, but the DD population has seen a noteworthy reduction recently.  The "normal" DD population has been about 25% of all games played, its been like that for years (it took a noticeable dip with the release of the rework).  Its now down to 20-21% at high tiers.  DDs have a reduction in low tiers too, but not much as high tiers.  BBs are now dominating the meta making up about 40% of games played.

Asashio approves of this message!

[SMLSK]
Beta Testers
1,373 posts
2,054 battles
59 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

Oh look, random spreadsheet. Cool.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,517 posts
27,504 battles
1 hour ago, Helstrem said:

All ships in the match were Tier IX.

88161186_NoDDs.thumb.png.18a353844b7807b3bbad959b32fb0d96.png

Looks like a queue dump to me.

1 hour ago, Anonymous50 said:

Needed a CV just for the LOLs.

Ok, now that's just plain cruel.  LOL.  :Smile-_tongue:

Members
246 posts
310 battles

Do yourselves a favour and count the amount of games where you only get 1 DD in a CV game.

Then ponder on why nobody plays DDs anymore.

One game does not a rule make.

• Cool 1

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,183 posts
5,666 battles
1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

BBs are now dominating the meta making up about 40% of games played.

And?  Nobody claims BBs aren't played anymore.

53 minutes ago, Umikami said:

The difference between this and real life is as follows; while I see 6 and even 7 BB per side matches almost every day, this is so rare you decided to post a pic about it. The DD population is in a definite decline.

You want to list the other differences between this and RL?  How about how in RL a single DD wasn't any kind of threat to a BB?

Its a game.  There are massive boosts to DD effectiveness for the sake of gameplay to make individual DDs viable.  Of course DD players want to ignore all that and focus on the ratio of DDs to BBs compared to navies (not battles) in reality.

You want the ratio to mimic reality?  Fine, but you have to give up all the massive power enhancements that DDs have in this game in exchange.  Still want to make that trade?

7 minutes ago, KosmicRavioli said:

Do yourselves a favour and count the amount of games where you only get 1 DD in a CV game.

The post was firmly tongue in cheek

• Boring 1

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,092 posts
22,673 battles

I'm still playing them (better than 50% of the time) and having fun as well. Asashio is my new Kami R!

image.thumb.png.d0e952ea004c62d3fbbcc1979053a0e8.png

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,025 battles
4 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

You want to list the other differences between this and RL?

I'm talking about the real life game playing we see every day, as in team make up and composition, and you want to go to what was real life in the pacific in 1943. Way to jump right off the deep end @Helstrem, maybe you could add a dash of paranoia to go with that big bowl of defensiveness you ordered up for yourself; might give it some flavor. 

Part of the reason that DDs were no threat to BBs in WW2 is that there just weren't that many BBs around; after the bashing the US Navy took at Pearl Harbor BBs were sort of in short supply through most of 1942. The IJN did cut a few loose to hit Guadalcanal but after those got scuffed up one night by ours they sort of stopped that too. 

Yet the one time BBs did meet DDs, Taffy 3 at Leyte Gulf, the DDs drove the BBs off. And I'm sure it wasn't those 5 inch guns that scared the IJN Admirals away. I'm amazed at how many things you managed to get wrong in one little post. 

Just …. WOW!!

• Cool 2

[A-I-M]
Members
3,559 posts
23,348 battles
29 minutes ago, KosmicRavioli said:

A thousand anecdotes is data:

1 hour ago, Slimeball91 said:

Tiring of being griefed. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,183 posts
5,666 battles
1 minute ago, Umikami said:

I'm talking about the real life game playing we see every day, as in team make up and composition, and you want to go to what was real life in the pacific in 1943. Way to jump right off the deep end @Helstrem, maybe you could add a dash of paranoia to go with that big bowl of defensiveness you ordered up for yourself; might give it some flavor. 

Part of the reason that DDs were no threat to BBs in WW2 is that there just weren't that many BBs around; after the bashing the US Navy took at Pearl Harbor BBs were sort of in short supply through most of 1942. The IJN did cut a few loose to hit Guadalcanal but after those got scuffed up one night by ours they sort of stopped that too. 

Yet the one time BBs did meet DDs, Taffy 3 at Leyte Gulf, the DDs drove the BBs off. And I'm sure it wasn't those 5 inch guns that scared the IJN Admirals away. I'm amazed at how many things you managed to get wrong in one little post. 

Just …. WOW!!

<yawn>

BBs fought DDs many times other than Leyte Gulf.  The result was always in favor of the BBs.  You are cherry picking to get your preferred outcome.

As for the game, I usually see 2-4 DDs per side.  I also usually see 0 CVs per side, contrary to the DD complaints on the forums.

[A-I-M]
Members
3,559 posts
23,348 battles
1 minute ago, Helstrem said:

<yawn>

BBs fought DDs many times other than Leyte Gulf.  The result was always in favor of the BBs.  You are cherry picking to get your preferred outcome.

As for the game, I usually see 2-4 DDs per side.  I also usually see 0 CVs per side, contrary to the DD complaints on the forums.

What you are seeing is not in accord with the statistical trends, see above. 

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
10,291 battles

I am seeing a lot of DDs, and playing them too. They are great fun.

However, with that being said, here is the bottom line:

I am also getting a fair percentage of matches without any CVs, and very few with 2 CVs per team.

If that were not true, if there were always CVs, I would not play DDs.

The problem is, the play style is just not any fun at all, with CVs. You can't do anything. If you get exposed while up front, spotting, you are a dead DD. Rockets cripple you, even in smoke, and bombs can hit you easily too.

Radar is also very common now. there are 28 ships with radar, and high tier cruisers without radar are pretty much a liability to their team.

Look at the Zao. It has neither radar nor smoke. Don't see it around much, do you? It's big strength and gimmick is concealment, and torps. Which CV's ruin completely. The Zao is tier X, but has half the HP of the Puta Reekho. Truth is, the Alaska, at Tier 9, with big guns, big HP and radar, is a stronger cruiser. Hence, you see an awful lot of them about.

The Venizia is stronger, too, and has smoke and torps.

Anyway, there are DDs around, and they are still fun to play. Radar is a problem, but it is fair play.

CVs, on the other hand.....

Well, I have stopped paying money to WG, because of CVs. Until they are made optional, I will not spend another cent on the game. They are a toxic mess.

If there were CVs in every game, there would be no DDs at all, is my suspicion.

[ARS]
Beta Testers
5,183 posts
5,666 battles
Just now, Pugilistic said:

What you are seeing is not in accord with the statistical trends, see above. 

Explain.  Nothing shown above suggests that 2-4 DDs per side is out of the ordinary or that, at high Tiers, CVs are in most battles.

The 6 DD per side battle I showed was surely a soft dump.

[PIZZA]
-Members-
1,180 posts
26,669 battles

I see many dd's early morning NA time.....sometimes 4 a side....most of the time 2 and 3 a side.  Unfortunately, most of them are dead in the first 5 mins, so essentially, there are no dd's playing.

• Funny 1

[KRAK]
Members
3,718 posts
21,738 battles
23 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

<yawn>

You are playing one or two matches a day?

CV are in nearly every match and DD vary from none to 6 or more per match in T10.

• Boring 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,025 battles
25 minutes ago, Helstrem said:

BBs fought DDs many times other than Leyte Gulf.  The result was always in favor of the BBs

Really? When?

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,698 posts
7,104 battles
2 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

Increased Population of CVs had to reduce a ship class or all of them.....seems natural that it would be DDs...   Though hasn't been noticeable in my games.