Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Dr_Venture

Wargaming, redesign Roma?

12 comments in this topic

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,067 posts
6,022 battles

I think it's fair to say that Wargaming made a balanced line of cruisers, that are not overly broken and actually require skill to unlock their full potential. Yup, I'm talking about my beloved Italian line. 

So I hit Trento....8 inch gun sap shells...what a dream. I don't overpen those squishy paper thin cruisers that are all the rage. I move down the line...and I kept thinking the same thing; When will Roma get SAP shells?

I'm honestly in the camp where Italian ships having HE is silly. Yes they could have had them, but Italy had a school of thought...a heavy AP shell, and a soft AP shell. 

Now Roma's primary issue, her guns, they are terrible. You have this beautifully modelled warship...and she's gimped with garbage guns. Sure they behave every once in awhile, but really...they aren't reliable to make the ship truly enjoyable (something I hope doesn't carry to the Littorio).

Now Roma is also silly for other reasons...apparently she can use a cloaking device and sneak up on people. - This is a left over meta gimmick.

----------

Perhaps we could get a comment from Wargaming...something to look forward to. Roma getting a rebalance, SAP shells, and something other than a cloaking battleship.

Yet I'm anxious to hear other, more experienced players thought's. 

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,000 posts
5,814 battles

A lot of early premiums don't have the gimmicks of their later released compatriots, so I wouldn't expect Roma to be an exception to this trend.

I think most likely, people will have to wait for Littorio/Vittorio Veneto for their SAP slinging T8 Italian battleship. And nobody outside of WG even knows if that's the gimmick that is being planned for them. 

• Boring 1

[UN1]
Members
1,280 posts
3,935 battles
52 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

I think it's fair to say that Wargaming made a balanced line of cruisers, that are not overly broken and actually require skill to unlock their full potential. Yup, I'm talking about my beloved Italian line. 

So I hit Trento....8 inch gun sap shells...what a dream. I don't overpen those squishy paper thin cruisers that are all the rage. I move down the line...and I kept thinking the same thing; When will Roma get SAP shells?

I'm honestly in the camp where Italian ships having HE is silly. Yes they could have had them, but Italy had a school of thought...a heavy AP shell, and a soft AP shell. 

Now Roma's primary issue, her guns, they are terrible. You have this beautifully modelled warship...and she's gimped with garbage guns. Sure they behave every once in awhile, but really...they aren't reliable to make the ship truly enjoyable (something I hope doesn't carry to the Littorio).

Now Roma is also silly for other reasons...apparently she can use a cloaking device and sneak up on people. - This is a left over meta gimmick.

----------

Perhaps we could get a comment from Wargaming...something to look forward to. Roma getting a rebalance, SAP shells, and something other than a cloaking battleship.

Roma is also a ship people pay money for.  They might buff her, but they definitely won't redesign her.

[--K--]
Members
1,351 posts
11,311 battles

Roma has one of the most satisfying guns in the game... right up to the point of impact.  

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[SALVO]
Members
25,453 posts
27,411 battles
44 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

----------

1. I'm not a fan of ANY premium BB that has wonky, unreliable guns.  I suppose that the German BBs can be slightly forgiven since they were supposed to be brawlers.  But in my opinion that was a bad decision from the start.  Regardless...  It's annoying that tier 8 BBs like the Roma and the Gascogne have such wonky, unreliable (in terms of accuracy) guns because it really takes all the fun out of playing BBs when their guns don't have a reasonable degree of reliability when it comes to getting hits on well aimed volleys.

2. As a side note, in a recent-ish (I think) video by Flamu, he suggested that the Roma's high velocity guns actually produce more full penetration hits at longer ranges than short ranges because at longer ranges, that longer range expends some of the energy in the shells and reduces the penetration to levels that's less likely to produce overpen hits.  And this seems like pretty reasonable advice.  Of course, on the flip side, you still have to deal with the unreliable accuracy of the guns...

3. I agree that it would be VERY nice for the Roma to have its HE shells be replaced by SAP shells at some point, perhaps when the RM BB line gets released.

4.  All of the above said, I'm not so sure that I agree with your assessment of the RM CA line.  I find them painful to play for a number of reasons.  Note that the following points don't necessarily apply to the Venezia, which I own but having played much yet.

A. RM SAP feels like you're using weak AP and it has many of the same difficulties, such as having to find targets that are showing a fair amount of broadside if you want to get any damage (not counting DDs for the most part).

B. Without any DoT damage potential, if's downright painful to generate decent damage with.  This point might be less of an issue if all cruisers had to fight this sort of uphill struggle, but they don't.  So it's less fun for me to play RM CAs without any serious DoT potential to damage farming.

C. The long reloads on the RM CAs simply do not feel justified in any way.  These ships aren't major damage producers nor have a seriously above average alpha to justify the long reload.  The issues I cite in point A and B might be much less painful if the reloads were more normal for their gun sizes, since one might feel that you could counter those issues by putting more shells on target over a given amount of time.

D. On the flip side, the RM CAs are pretty quick and nimble, and that part of them is pretty enjoyable.  And the exhaust smoke has its uses, which give them a slightly different flavor.  And while the torps are slow sea mines, if you run a full concealment build, these ships can stealth launch their torps and if you are careful about how you execute your torp paunches, you can catch enemies by surprise and land the occasion hit or 2.  If I had one gripe about the torps, it'd be that for such low concealment, slow torps, it'd be nice if they hit somewhat harder.  You're not likely to land many hits, so it'd be nice if the ones you did land had a bit more bite to them.

[SIM]
Members
5,373 posts
8,875 battles

While I certainly wouldn’t be opposed to Roma getting SAP shells, I have zero problems with her guns as they are. Roma is one of the most comfortable and effective ships in my fleet, the ship that I reach for when I want to detox. 

[RKLES]
Members
12,557 posts
14,317 battles
1 hour ago, Wombatmetal said:

After the GC outcry I doubt they are looking at balancing premiums.  Can't blame them

Likely what they will do is release the premiums in a slightly nerfed status, then buff as needed later on. WOT Blitz they have once in a while given buffs to premiums after strongly having the need for such buffs given to them. But I know they are careful as they are not able to nerf the premiums, at least not directly.

Like they buffed the frontal hull and turret armor of the tech tree IS and IS-2 tanks, but the premium IS-2 only received turret frontal armor buffs, but not hull buffs although I suspect the hull will come later. This shows they are tested jog the waters with the premium to ensure needed improvements are made, but not being OP either.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[T_O_P]
Members
430 posts
19 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

----------

NO Thank you, I Love my Roma the way it is... The only thing I find "garbage" about the guns is the somewhat short range of 18.something when you can go against Yamato, JB, Gascogne, etc with ranges of up to 25-26 km.

So unless you are talking about ADDING the SAP shells to Roma WITHOUT removing HE (1-AP, 2-HE, 3-SAP), than no thanks. I do NOT find some Italians having HE as silly.

• Cool 1

[T_O_P]
Members
430 posts
18 hours ago, Wombatmetal said:

After the GC outcry I doubt they are looking at balancing premiums.  Can't blame them

... and tbh they shouldn't (unless very minor tweaks), because when people buy a ship with actual money, they pay for specific capabilities of that ship. If WG will get into habit of making significant changes to premium ships ppl will lose confidence in the ships and sales wil eventually decline. I doubt WG wants that.

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,959 posts

It's a premium ship that has been sold to players.  Most of those players probably DON'T want their BB that they paid money for to suddenly have SAP.

WG buffs premiums now and then and they nerf premiums now and then but if they completely changed the shell type of a premium, people would be screaming for a refund of their money.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this