You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Filthy_Pelican

British Cruiser and AP Bombs

4 comments in this topic

Members
706 posts
28,617 battles

So I am curious since I haven't been able to play today. Do British Heavy Cruisers take Japanese AP Bombs just as well as their Light Cruiser counterparts? 

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,117 battles

More like whether or not AP bombs can spank a RN CA is probably the more appropriate question. Quite honestly, it depends on how much armor the deck has because if they have enough to arm AP bombs, and judging by the description I think they do, then yes. You do need to be wary about AP dive bombers. 

Let’s just take a look at the KM CAs that have the turtle back armor scheme. It’s a double edged sword. On the one hand you have enough armor to tank BB AP from a distance as long as you angle and enough armor to go broadside against most BB AP in a brawl below 8km. However in exchange for all of that sea based protection, AP bombs can and will penetrate, arm, and detonate within your machine spaces which will result in a citadel hit per bomb.

So to answer your question, depends on how much deck armor the RN CAs have because too much armor will arm the AP bombs from the sky and detonate within your citadel. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[KSC]
Members
790 posts
10,953 battles

Pretty much all cruisers in the game can be penned and citadel'd by the relevant level CVs with them.  British Cruisers will be able to heal 50% of citadel damage, however.

As for being hit with them, AP bombs are not very accurate.  If you are sitting still, the CV can usually get a citadel or two, but if you are moving it's more up to RNG as Cruisers are half the size of the bombing reticle.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
28,215 posts
24,603 battles

I do not have any of these new RN CAs, but Heavy Cruisers, a bunch of them having better armor are more prone to AP Bombs wrecking them.  This becomes worse as you climb higher in the tiers and they get bigger, better armor that only serves to fuse the AP Bombs.