You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

British Heavy Cruisers Directives, 0.9.0

119 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,689 battles

Via a friend.

MY ADVICE TO NEW PLAYERS:

Generally speaking - Combat tasks (damage, kills, captures, etc.) allow Randoms and Co-op, but do not allow scenarios or other modes. Combat tasks and victories/high placings are best done in co-op if at all possible.

Economic tasks - money, XP, base XP, etc. can usually be done in scenarios as well.

Other specific conditions and exclusions are detailed below. 

The number of tasks required to finish each directive ("stage") in the PTS was FIVE.

Check eligibility in the game client before selecting a specific game mode to do a specific task.

Divide all those seemingly large tasks which can be accomplished in any number of battles by SEVEN to create goals you can easily meet.

Take out as many easy tasks as you can on the first night of any directive. Getting stuff done is a powerful incentive to keeping going.

Take victory conditions off the table as soon as possible in any one directive (in co-op). Then you won't have to worry if you have a run of losses in randoms or scenarios.

All tasks in any directive run concurrently, without the need to choose between them.

Any unfinished tasks continue to be available (and worked upon in the background) as you go, once you proceed to further directives (except for #4 of course, as there is no directive 5).

Individual rewards are trifling and non-critical; the aim is to finish the minimum number of tasks, grab the tokens, and exchange them in the hope of getting a ship. Then the directive is complete and you can start work on the next as soon as it unlocks. Any unfinished missions complete in the background.

If all you have is ONE Tier 5 ship to do this with, use any spare time between directives to work up more. You ideally want at least one battleship, one cruiser (preferably not British or Italian, for reasons you will see below, but if that's what you've got then bring it) and one destroyer at T5 or better. Having a Tier 6 aircraft carrier can be a huge help, but should be considered as a longer-term project.

BRING WHAT YOU'VE GOT, EVEN IF ONE TIER 5 SHIP IS ALL YOU'VE GOT, AND TRY YOUR HARDEST.

If you win any of the early-unlock cruisers, it's yours to keep and is technically capable of completing ALL OF THE DIRECTIVES, even if it can't do every task in all of them with the greatest of efficiency.

Newbies to T5+, I've been in your shoes in harder events than this, with not the best ships to use. I know how hard it is for you newcomers. Chin up, keep on fighting, and do as much as you can. If you fail, use it as a learning experience. 

image.png.a950a22d323d866c270f5d369d66225c.png   That's Pacific Time (i.e.the time in Los Angeles, Seattle, Vancouver and so on). 

Directive 1: (5 tasks - 80 Tokens)

• 10,000 BXP = (1) one Union Jack Camo. You'll get this by playing the first set of dailies out in co-op every night.
  • 60,000 XP = 2500 FXP. 9000 XP a night for the week will see you through. 
  • 1700 BXP in (1) one game Randoms/Scenarios = (1) one Red Dragon Flag. Difficult for beginners unless they get lucky, but the reward you miss out on for not achieving it isn't critical. You can ignore this one. 
  • Cause 500,000 Damage = (1) one Union Jack Camo 72,000 damage a night will finish this, and it's not hard to get that in one hard-fought BATTLE.  Go into co-op and fight, fight, fight.
  • 950,000 Credits = 150,000 Credits  136,000 credits a night, and this figure is BEFORE SERVICE COSTS ARE CALCULATED. 
  • 12 Fires or Citadels = (2) two India X-Ray Flags If you have any ship except British light cruiser or Italian cruisers, you can start fires at long range and this is easy. Any ship can get citadels if you attack the right opponent - even destroyers firing at light cruisers. British light cruiser and Italian cruiser owners don't have main gun ammo that starts fires. They will have to get in close and hope their secondaries start fires while they are shooting for citadel hits with armour-piercing ammo. Been there, done that - and as a newbie. Co-op is the place.
  • 10 Torpedo Hits = (2) two Victor Lima Flags. If you're in a tech-tree battleship that isn't Gneisenau, or a US cruiser at Tier 6 or above, or the Gorizia, you won't be getting this done with those ships. Concentrate on the other tasks. If you have any destroyer at Tier 5 or above, select that ship and go for it. You can use the destroyer for the firestarting mission too. 
  • 200,000 Credits (T5-T8 BRN CA only) = (1) one Union Jack Camo - unless you spent doubloons, you won't have one of these until the directive is complete anyway. Ignore it. 
  • 300,000 Credits (T7/T8 BRN CA only) = (1) one Union Jack Camo - see above. If you were lucky enough to score the Surrey or the Albemarle, you can get both done at once.

Directive 2: (5 Tasks - 80 Tokens)

• Place Top 5 in 8 Battles = (1) one Lunar Warrior Camo. Do this in co-op, while you are also working on...
  • Sink 12 Ships = (1) one Union Jack Camo. Cruisers or destroyers in co-op are best; battleships will do the job if your spawn point lets you join the battle soon enough and the bots come near to where you are.
  • 1,500,000 (1.5 Million Credits) = prize of 150,000 Credits This will take care of itself over the course of the week. 
  • 6 Capture or Assisted Capture = (2) two Papa Papa Flags Destroyers or light cruisers are best in co-op, but in the late game you can sometimes get a base capture in a BB. 
  • 78899 Damage via Fires = (3) three Mike Yankee Soxisix Flags. Avoid British light cruisers and Italian cruisers (except the Duca D'aosta and Duca Degli Abruzzi, as they have HE main gun shells). Anything else is fine, including any British heavy cruisers you might have unlocked so far.
  • 2,888,888 Million Potential Damage = (2) two India Delta Flags. Take battleships into co-op. Charge into the thick of the bots, doing your best to avoid as many torpedoes as possible. Go out in a blaze of glory. Lather, rinse, repeat.
  • 2800 FXP (Wukong, Bajie, Siliwangi only) = (1) one Lunar Warrior Camo These ships have still not been released as the directive goes live. Ignore it.
  • 3000 FXP (T7/T8 BRN CA only) = (1) one Union Jack Camo This is for the lucky ones who drew those ships. Ignore.
  • 1800 BXP in (1) one game Randoms/Scenarios = (1) one Hydra Dragon Flag Unless you're good or lucky or both, leave this one alone.

Directive 3: (5 Tasks - 100 Tokens)

• 15,000 BXP = (1) one Lunar Warrior Camo There's no magic trick here; there is only persistent gameplay and dividing 15,000 by 7 to give you easy-to-reach nightly goals. If you play out both daily chains, you will finish this quickly.
  • 28 Incapacitation Ribbons = (1) one Union Jack Camo Consider light cruisers and destroyers, and target your opposite numbers to break engines, rudders and small-ship main armament/torps for incapacitation ribbons. Co-op is definitely the way to go.
  • 1,800,000 Credits = 150,000 Credits Remember that the goals here do not count service costs. Two or three nights of really good co-op play could see you through here. It's less than 300K credits a night for a week.
  • 20 Spotted Ribbons = (3) three Zulu Hotel Flags If you have a CV at all, a couple of random battles should get this done. Otherwise the best options are destroyers and fast light cruisers in co-op. Remember, you can spot the same ship more than once if the battle goes on long enough.
  • Cause 800,000 Damage = (2) two November Foxtrot Flags Set things on fire. Set them on fire again. When they extinguish the fire, re-light it. Torpedo them first. If you can get a ship's damage control party on cool-down (inactive) and light an extra fire/start an extra flood, the damage really mounts up. But the best thing to do is just play.
  • 250 Secondary Hits = (2) two India Yankee Flags Battleships are best for this, if you can get close enough before the DDs and fast cruisers clean up. Cruisers can also do it, but it takes persistence and the kind of recklessness you can only get away with in co-op. There is precisely ONE tier-eligible non-premium destroyer that has secondary guns, IIRC, and that's the Kiev at Tier 8. 
  • 10 Torpedo or Citadel Hits (Wukong, Bajie, Siliwangi only) = (1) one Lunar Warrior Camo Not difficult, but depends on either reaching into your pocket (not recommended purely for this task) or having had good luck.
  • 15 Plane Kills (T7/T8 BRN CA only) = (1) one Union Jack Camo Easy, but dependent on already having been very lucky in the token draw.  If there's no CV in the game, you can sometimes still get plane kills by shooting down spotter and fighter aircraft from bot ships.
  • 1900 BXP in (1) one game Randoms/Scenarios = (1) one Ouroboros Dragon Flag This is in luck-of-the-draw territory for new players and I would not recommend chasing it as a goal. You will probably get all the other stuff done first.

Directive 4: (5 Tasks? - 100 Tokens)

• Place Top 3 in 8 Battles = (1) one Lunar Warrior Camo Co-op.
  • 1000 Main Gun Hits = (1) one Union Jack Camo Light cruisers or destroyers in co-op are best to get this done quickly. Yes, you can do it in a battleship, but it will take you much, much longer. 
  • 2,800,000 Credits = 150,000 Credits Four hundred thousand credits gross per night is not that difficult to reach; and the more you exceed it, the faster you will get it done.
  • 120,000 XP = (4) four India Bravo Terrathree Flags 18,000 XP a night for seven nights. Not an impossible ask, but there are easier tasks.  Ignore this one. You should only need five after all. 
  • Spot 15 Torps = (2) two Sierra Mike Flags Put yourself in harm's way whenever there are destroyers in the battle. So long as you are the nearest ship they fire on, you will notch this up fairly quickly. DD's and fast light cruisers are best.
  • Cause 1,200,000 Damage = (2) two Zulu Flags Just fight, fight, fight. See Directive 3.
  • Cause 18,800 Damage (Wukong, Bajie, Siliwangi only) = (1) one Lunar Warrior Camo See my comments for these ships above.
  • 25,000 XP (T7/T8 BRN CA only) = (1) one Union Jack Camo Easy over a week IF you've won one already. Otherwise never mind it.
  • 2000 BXP in (1) one game Randoms/Scenarios = (1) one Leviathan Dragon Flag Pray to all the Gods of Gaming for a really fantastic result.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
711 posts
29,843 battles

Do we get to keep the Albemarle bought with tokens after the event or is it a "rental"?

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,689 battles
1 minute ago, gillhunter said:

Do we get to keep the Albemarle bought with tokens after the event or is it a "rental"?

It's yours. It stays premium until the next patch drops, then it reverts to tech-tree and any captain still in it must be retrained to it. MOVE YOUR CAPTAINS OUT OF THESE SHIPS BEFORE THE NEXT PATCH DROPS, UNLESS YOU ARE SURE YOU WANT THEM THERE.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,614 posts
15,396 battles

Easy directives, but garbage rewards. Fair trade I suppose?

• Cool 3

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
711 posts
29,843 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's yours. It stays premium until the next patch drops, then it reverts to tech-tree and any captain still in it must be retrained to it. MOVE YOUR CAPTAINS OUT OF THESE SHIPS BEFORE THE NEXT PATCH DROPS, UNLESS YOU ARE SURE YOU WANT THEM THERE.

Thanks. 

[STURM]
Members
721 posts
5,924 battles
1 minute ago, pikohan said:

Well, it's a step up from impossible directives with garbage rewards, I guess. 

• Funny 2

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,689 battles
1 minute ago, Muninn77 said:

Well, it's a step up from impossible directives with garbage rewards, I guess. 

It is, but let's confine the discussion here to tracking progress and trading hints on how we got places. There are more than enough threads already on the ups and downs of this event as a whole.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles
11 minutes ago, pikohan said:

After the last patches directives... I am happy with it lol

[A-O]
Members
1,025 posts
10,465 battles
36 minutes ago, pikohan said:

You get free stuff just for playing a free game and you are complaining that it is not enough ?

• Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
21,655 posts
15,689 battles
1 minute ago, freggo said:

You get free stuff just for playing a free game and you are complaining that it is not enough ?

People are upset that they can no longer go directly for the T5-8 permacamos and grab the ships later in the natural course of the grind. Part of me doesn't blame them; part of me sees the silver lining in the current setup.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
711 posts
29,843 battles

This is how I finished the first directive (all in co-op). Took me 25 matches.  Got 80 tokens and got the Alblemarle. Just played my first battle in it. Not bad. I prefer CLs, but it was pretty fun.

10,000 BXP = (1) one Union Jack Camo

Cause 500,000 Damage = (1) one Union Jack Camo

950,000 Credits = 150,00 Credits

12 Fires or Citadels = (2) two India X-Ray Flags

10 Torpedo Hits = (2) two Victor Lima Flags

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,614 posts
15,396 battles
8 minutes ago, freggo said:

It's fine. Just nothing terribly exciting if you're not willing to pay. 

[WOLF9]
Members
906 posts
20,864 battles

Got dir 1 done, all in Co op.

I bought 2 crates for dubloons.  Got the Hawkins on the second crate.

I bought 4 crates for tokens.  No ships.

I notice that you can get any of the 4 ships from either crate, but there is no maximum number of crates.  Did I miss something?

[DVYJC]
Members
3,563 posts
8,197 battles
51 minutes ago, pikohan said:

I'm growing fonder of this by the minute. We have had enough crazy grinding that it's actually pretty nice now and again to get a patch that requires little or no effort. I will probably complete all the directives just doing a minimum two-coop-then-four-Narai-runs-in-division-for-dailies play pattern this month.

• Cool 1

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,117 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Via a friend:

Generally speaking - Combat tasks (damage, kills, captures, etc.) allow Randoms and Co-op, but do not allow scenarios or other modes. Combat tasks and victories/high placings are best done in co-op if at all possible.

Economic tasks - money, XP, base XP, etc. can usually be done in scenarios as well.

Other specific conditions and exclusions are detailed below. 

The number of tasks required to finish each directive ("stage") in the PTS was FIVE.

Check eligibility in the game client before selecting a specific game mode to do a specific task.

Divide all those seemingly large tasks which can be accomplished in any number of battles by SEVEN to create goals you can easily meet.

Take out as many easy tasks as you can on the first night of any directive.

Take victory conditions off the table as soon as possible in any one directive (in co-op).

All tasks in any directive run concurrently, without the need to choose between them.

Any unfinished tasks continue to be available (and worked upon in the background) as you go, once you proceed to further directives (except for #4 of course, as there is no directive 5).

Directive 1: (5 tasks - 80 Tokens)

• 10,000 BXP = (1) one Union Jack Camo
  • 60,000 XP = 2500 FXP
  • 1700 BXP in (1) one game Randoms/Scenarios = (1) one Red Dragon Flag
  • Cause 500,000 Damage = (1) one Union Jack Camo
  • 950,000 Credits = 150,000 Credits
  • 12 Fires or Citadels = (2) two India X-Ray Flags
  • 10 Torpedo Hits = (2) two Victor Lima Flags
  • 200,000 Credits (T5-T8 BRN CA only) = (1) one Union Jack Camo
  • 300,000 Credits (T7/T8 BRN CA only) = (1) one Union Jack Camo

Directive 2: (# Tasks? - 80 Tokens)

• Place Top 5 in 8 Battles = (1) one Lunar Warrior Camo
  • Sink 12 Ships = (1) one Union Jack Camo
  • 1,500,000 Million Credits = 150,000 Credits
  • 6 Capture or Assisted Capture = (2) two Papa Papa Flags
  • 78899 Damage via Fires = (3) three Mike Yankee Soxisix Flags
  • 2,888,888 Million Potential Damage = (2) two India Delta Flags
  • 2800 FXP (Wukong, Bajie, Siliwangi only) = (1) one Lunar Warrior Camo
  • 3000 FXP (T7/T8 BRN CA only) = (1) one Union Jack Camo
  • 1800 BXP in (1) one game Randoms/Scenarios = (1) one Hydra Dragon Flag

Directive 3: (# Tasks? - 100 Tokens)

• 15,000 BXP = (1) one Lunar Warrior Camo
  • 28 Incapacitation Ribbons = (1) one Union Jack Camo
  • 1,800,000 Credits = 150,000 Credits
  • 20 Spotted Ribbons = (3) three Zulu Hotel Flags
  • Cause 800,000 Damage = (2) two November Foxtrot Flags
  • 250 Secondary Hits = (2) two India Yankee Flags
  • 10 Torpedo or Citadel Hits (Wukong, Bajie, Siliwangi only) = (1) one Lunar Warrior Camo
  • 15 Plane Kills (T7/T8 BRN CA only) = (1) one Union Jack Camo
  • 1900 BXP in (1) one game Randoms/Scenarios = (1) one Ouroboros Dragon Flag

Directive 4: (# Tasks? - 100 Tokens)

• Place Top 3 in 8 Battles = (1) one Lunar Warrior Camo
  • 1000 Main Gun Hits = (1) one Union Jack Camo
  • 2,800,000 Credits = 150,000 Credits
  • 120,000 XP = (4) four India Bravo Terrathree Flags
  • Spot 15 Torps = (2) two Sierra Mike Flags
  • Cause 1,200,000 Damage = (2) two Zulu Flags
  • Cause 18,800 Damage (Wukong, Bajie, Siliwangi only) = (1) one Lunar Warrior Camo
  • 25,000 XP (T7/T8 BRN CA only) = (1) one Union Jack Camo
  • 2000 BXP in (1) one game Randoms/Scenarios = (1) one Leviathan Dragon Flag

A full tactical analysis will follow in due course.

easy enough. This is what? Four weekends worth of effort give or take.

59 minutes ago, pikohan said:

The rewards for each one is not what you should be looking at. The amount of tokens you get for the real rewards are so you can enjoy the RN CAs before release.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,614 posts
15,396 battles
1 minute ago, LiaoXanLan said:

The rewards for each one is not what you should be looking at. The amount of tokens you get for the real rewards are so you can enjoy the RN CAs before release.

I am referring to the bundles. Without paying, you get a maximum of 11 bundles... and if the chance of getting a ship is less than 1 in 11 (which I am sure it is), most people are going to end up with less than one. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
906 posts
20,864 battles

Since the PR event is over, when will the shipbuilding tokens be converted to credit?  Anyone know?  I was assuming this morning, but I still have my leftover tokens.

[T-CF]
Members
551 posts
3,117 battles
1 minute ago, pikohan said:

I am referring to the bundles. Without paying, you get a maximum of 11 bundles... and if the chance of getting a ship is less than 1 in 11 (which I am sure it is), most people are going to end up with less than one. 

Ah I see now. Yes that is a bit underwhelming but you really want to get at least the tier 7 one. I’ve heard that tier 5-6 are underwhelming and should be skipped. So getting the good one if the base chance is 1:11 is probably 1:22 or something like that. I think we all know what this smells like.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,442 posts
33 minutes ago, freggo said:

The devil is in the details -- details which are being broken down in other threads.

[A-O]
Members
1,025 posts
10,465 battles
17 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

I'm growing fonder of this by the minute. We have had enough crazy grinding that it's actually pretty nice now and again to get a patch that requires little or no effort. I will probably complete all the directives just doing a minimum two-coop-then-four-Narai-runs-in-division-for-dailies play pattern this month.

It is usually a small group of core players in the Operations channel; the "usual suspects". I wish WG would do a little PR to make new players and CO-OP mains aware that Operations (a.k.a. Scenarios) are basically CO-OP battles with a substantial better payout and a very manageable learning curve.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,442 posts
9 minutes ago, pikohan said:

There are 11 token packages.

You get enough tokens from during the event (600) to "draw" a package 30 times.

Each time you draw, you get 1 of those 11 packages, no matter how many times you draw.

So there is no guarantee that any of those (up to) 30 draws will be one of the early access unlocks. 

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
3,614 posts
15,396 battles
8 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

There are 11 token packages.

You get enough tokens from during the event (600) to "draw" a package 30 times.

Each time you draw, you get 1 of those 11 packages, no matter how many times you draw.

So there is no guarantee that any of those (up to) 30 draws will be one of the early access unlocks. 

Ah, you could be right about that. I thought it was a little weird that we'd be limited to 11, but I wouldn't put it past WG and the UI doesn't do a good job showing it. 

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,079 posts
22,624 battles

Directive 1 done with split between Co-op and Operation Aegis. Perth is awesome in Aegis...

Spoiler

Mounted:

• Mosaic cammo
  • Ouroborus flag
  • Leviathan flag
  • Scylla flag
  • Basilisk flag
  • Hydra flag
  • Wyvern flag
  • and good old Victor Lima flag

Followed my proven route to this result:

shot-20_01.15_09_35.43-0109.thumb.jpg.634d5cee634216b62be7b4b2633473a1.jpg

Rinse and repeat and done with tasks accomplished using a Scenario.

[T_O_P]
Members
430 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Take out as many easy tasks as you can on the first night of any directive.

Take victory conditions off the table as soon as possible in any one directive (in co-op).

could plz you elaborate on the "urgency"? Thanks.