You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
landedkiller

Remember the days

32 comments in this topic

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,933 posts
4,690 battles

I remember the days when Christmas crates have you a ship every 5 or so boxes on the megas. I remember the days when early access wasn’t given via loot boxes or infinite bundles (British cruiser event) or when tier 9 or tier 10 steel and coal and research bureau ships didn’t exist. I even remember when we had premiums that could be grinded out reasonably and not over 100+ hours. So why did it all have to change? 

I think it was greed and exploitation of the player base. Money is all I see the game being about now. I can’t believe people were dumb enough to buy Puerto Rico for instance outright. I was stupid of bought those boosters and missed the deadline full disclosure. Wargaming you have lost my trust and my money for a long time due to your exploitation of the player base and many broken promises over the years. I can’t encourage you all to stop spending, but I can say I will stop until Wargaming Realizes that all customers matter and that events should be catered to both audiences. I hope there comes a point where people wake up and realize how much Wargaming has exploited us as consumers.

landedkiller signing off for now 

• Cool 4
  • Boring 7

[ARGSY]
Members
21,518 posts
15,596 battles
2 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

So why did it all have to change? 

.Because if something doesn't change, the game dies from lack of variety. I'm trusting that PR was an aberration, and I will continue to spend my money in those areas where I feel WOWS is getting it RIGHT.

2 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

infinite bundles (British cruiser event)

This is the same as being able to get 30 non-premium event crates, with similar odds and no guarantee (but this time, if you get lucky you get a ship and its permacamo rather than just a grind mission for the naked ship). 

3 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

I can’t believe people were dumb enough to buy Puerto Rico for instance outright.

Community Contributors get stuff from Wargaming as rewards for what they do, and some of those people are sitting on enough doubloons that buying her outright on day 1 didn't even touch their wallets. 

4 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

I was stupid of bought those boosters and missed the deadline full disclosure.

The fact that they offered refunds diminished a lot of the hostility I was feeling when the PR event went live. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 6

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,933 posts
4,690 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

.Because if something doesn't change, the game dies from lack of variety. I'm trusting that PR was an aberration, and I will continue to spend my money in those areas where I feel WOWS is getting it RIGHT.

This is the same as being able to get 30 non-premium event crates, with similar odds and no guarantee (but this time, if you get lucky you get a ship and its permacamo rather than just a grind mission for the naked ship). 

Community Contributors get stuff from Wargaming as rewards for what they do, and some of those people are sitting on enough doubloons that buying her outright on day 1 didn't even touch their wallets. 

The fact that they offered refunds diminished a lot of the hostility I was feeling when the PR event went live. 

What did Wargaming do right I do wonder? That list is perhaps the Halloween event and the lone releases. Proper rebalances to German battleships and other lines. Introduction of new lines. 

what did Wargaming do wrong? Puerto Rico event, research bureau changes and future changes, locking ships behind research bureau and steel, and so much more.

Thank you for reading 

[ARGSY]
Members
21,518 posts
15,596 battles
Just now, landedkiller said:

research bureau changes

A matter of opinion.

Just now, landedkiller said:

locking ships behind research bureau

...with equivalents obtainable for coal...

1 minute ago, landedkiller said:

and steel

I just recently got myself the Black and I don't play Clan Wars. I maybe want the Flint, might vaguely want the Neustrashimy, and the rest of the steel ships can rot in hell for all I care.

• Boring 3

[RTXN]
Banned
1,416 posts
24 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

I was stupid of bought those boosters and missed the deadline full disclosure.

So it is WG's fault that you were stupid, now you are mad and want other people to be the same?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
24,678 posts
19,806 battles
30 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

I remember the days when Christmas crates have you a ship every 5 or so boxes on the megas.

That never happened. It was always about 10% chance for a ship, even in the first such event.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,059 posts
6,012 battles
2 minutes ago, Lert said:

That never happened. It was always about 10% chance for a ship, even in the first such event.

Lert is correct, we all took a bullet for WG'ing during the x-mas event. 

[WORX]
Members
11,357 posts
19,064 battles
37 minutes ago, landedkiller said:

remember the days when Christmas crates have you a ship every 5 or so boxes on the megas

I been through 3 holiday events for WOWS... This ^^^ never happened...

What does happen, just depends with how many ships you already have... IMO, the christmas even is a good bargain for new cpts wanting premium ships...

For WOWS vets that have a lot of ships allready... Not so much, this event is not the event made for you..

[-K-]
Members
8,489 posts
14,853 battles

Remember when:

• we didn't use to have a ship's armor profile to view for reference?
  • Situational Awareness wasn't even an obtainable skill?
  • you had to guess what your smoke radius boundaries were, and try not to float out of them?
  • Tier 8 was considered the go-to "competitive tier" for things like Ranked?
  • Montana was considered medicre and Yamato was the be-all/end-all ship at T10?
  • Ships like Mogami and Cleveland were considered monsters at T8?
  • Radar wasn't available as a consumable?

Things have changed mightily over the years.

[TBW]
Members
10,556 posts
18,052 battles
9 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

For WOWS vets that have a lot of ships allready... Not so much,

It is a good way to top off the premium ship tank, if you didn't already acquire the ships during the year.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,930 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The fact that they offered refunds

They didn't offer refunds, they offered in game credits, and that is a huge difference.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,092 posts
14,687 battles
2 hours ago, landedkiller said:

I remember the days when Christmas crates have you a ship every 5 or so boxes on the megas.

1 hour ago, Lert said:

I think the OP is thinking back to when the daily containers were put into the game. The rate of super container drops was extremely high and the rate of ship drops from them was also high.

• Cool 1

[LWA]
Members
1,186 posts
50 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Remember when:

• you had to guess what your smoke radius boundaries were, and try not to float out of them?

Cleveland was a monster at T6 back in the day......

to pile on....

-- you didn't know you were spotted unless you spent points for it as a captain skill

-- you used to be able to invisi-fire when there was no "gun bloom"

-- you used to flood 1/2 you HP away if you had repair on cool down

-- IFHE didn't exist

-- There were no Russian, British, Italian, German, or French tech tree ships......NO RUSSIAN BIAS....except for that Gremy 

-- No anime ships

-- no weather like cyclones

-- no fancy ship sinkings, they just fluttered under

-- Yep, no radar until the addition of Russian cruisers

-- CVs could alpha strike and sink a full health ship with a single drop of 6 torpedoes

--  Detection circles weren't available on the mini map (or any range circles).  You had to had to know what your detection range was before battle

-- It was a good time to play a destroyer as there was no radar, you could shoot at ships outside your detection range and not be spotted, and CVs only had torps and dive bombers that were easily avoided.

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,933 posts
4,690 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

I think the OP is thinking back to when the daily containers were put into the game. The rate of super container drops was extremely high and the rate of ship drops from them was also high.

That’s what I was thinking of now that I think harder on it

• Cool 1

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,933 posts
4,690 battles
5 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

A matter of opinion.

...with equivalents obtainable for coal...

I just recently got myself the Black and I don't play Clan Wars. I maybe want the Flint, might vaguely want the Neustrashimy, and the rest of the steel ships can rot in hell for all I care.

Do you really want ships locked behind the research bureau though? I think not and I don’t think that you really enjoy grinding out ranked seasons that much. I think what can be enjoyable is grinding coal and knowing that with time you will get to your goal. With steel it is more difficult, but not impossible I would say. I have to come to the point where I have player tanks and ships for years and I am done with spending till I see some positive changes to the game. I have just been let down too many times I guess. It all comes down to how Wargaming wants to do things as I realize I have no power except in my wallet. As do you. 

3 hours ago, Umikami said:

They didn't offer refunds, they offered in game credits, and that is a huge difference.

Exactly and Ensign_cthulu must think that Wargaming won’t do something like Puerto Rico again or something. Not to be too harsh here, but your sounding like Wg fan boy Ensign_cthulu more than a critical thinker. 

4 hours ago, Col_Nasty said:

gftyjfgyjfyiphy.gif

Yep that captures how the recent loot boxes and such have played out. Just more monetization then last year at least.

4 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Remember when:

There have been positive changes and I won’t deny that. What really gets me is how Wargaming has been looking for more ways to monetize the game in ways that are not always just. To be fair some businesses do that and that is their decision alone. The consumer will decide how to proceed with their wallets going forward ultimately.

We just need more transparency going forward I think and that would help quite a bit. The loot boxes and random bundles against train already left awhile ago I get that. All I can do is remember that it wasn’t always like this. Forgive a person for being sentimental as I am sure some of us were around at the start of this game and don’t like some of the more recent changes to it. 

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,243 battles
3 hours ago, db4100 said:

Cleveland was a monster at T6 back in the day......

to pile on....

-- you didn't know you were spotted unless you spent points for it as a captain skill

-- you used to be able to invisi-fire when there was no "gun bloom"

-- you used to flood 1/2 you HP away if you had repair on cool down

-- IFHE didn't exist

-- There were no Russian, British, Italian, German, or French tech tree ships......NO RUSSIAN BIAS....except for that Gremy 

-- No anime ships

-- no weather like cyclones

-- no fancy ship sinkings, they just fluttered under

-- Yep, no radar until the addition of Russian cruisers

-- CVs could alpha strike and sink a full health ship with a single drop of 6 torpedoes

--  Detection circles weren't available on the mini map (or any range circles).  You had to had to know what your detection range was before battle

-- It was a good time to play a destroyer as there was no radar, you could shoot at ships outside your detection range and not be spotted, and CVs only had torps and dive bombers that were easily avoided.

It was a great time to play DD, because you could knife fight in caps and secure them for your team. Radar destroyed those early knife fights in caps.

And there was the old Fubuki, the most fun ship in WOWs.

In those T8 and T5 were super fun to play. Now they suck, overrun with CVs and uptiered so often.

But...

...we also had those super stupid 2v1 CV games, or games in which the CVs were of different tiers.

....And the Saipan and GZ were stupidly OP, if you loaded in with any other CV against a Saipan, you lost.

....Zao invisifiring from 18 kms and burning you down, no counterplay.

....Monty with that absurdly high citadel.

Some things never change tho. The US standards have consistently sucked. :)

[PVE]
Members
19,969 posts
12,630 battles

NOTE: Per WG, If you get an early access ship from one of the bundle types, you can STILL GET THE SAME ship from the other type of bundle. You get credit compensation for duplicates. So for example, if you get an early access Hawkins CA from the Token bundles, you can still get the Hawkins CA from the Doubloon bundles and you will credit compensation.

[TNP66]
Beta Testers
1,933 posts
4,690 battles
On 1/15/2020 at 5:14 PM, Kizarvexis said:

NOTE: Per WG, If you get an early access ship from one of the bundle types, you can STILL GET THE SAME ship from the other type of bundle. You get credit compensation for duplicates. So for example, if you get an early access Hawkins CA from the Token bundles, you can still get the Hawkins CA from the Doubloon bundles and you will credit compensation.

It should be an increased chance to earn the other British heavies instead really. Credit compensation is okay, but doubloons, steel, or coal would have been more useful. These token bundles free ones out of the 8 I have opened have given me credits and signals only. Maybe I will get lucky once I earn enough for another bundle.

[T-CF]
Members
550 posts
3,105 battles

The Puerto Rico event has woke everyone up. It’s currently the worst cash grab ever seen and everyone were literally reaching for more than torches and pitchforks. I think we went to shotguns and rifles which means it was complete insanity. Even Notser was having a very hard time to backup WG and he’s the poster boy so to speak for WG NA. If I remember correctly he didn’t say much, used politically correct words, and then proceeded that he won’t be able to recommend the game to anyone.

He at least gave a shoutout to the art team for the dockyard and felt bad for them considering the kind of hell they had to go through over this. I think it’s rather unfair that those guys that put forth the effort to design such a masterpiece gets trampled over by the WG Marketing and Profiteering Inc. and they are forced to follow suit with the resulting apocalyptic fallout that has occurred by affiliation.

CCs were a lot more vocal, with IChase and Flamu being the top picks of most enraged CC there during this “event.” Funny thing is Flamu was quite calm for his personality and Flamu calm is the opposite of good calm. Flambass had to get a drink over this and that only took 10min. Jingles was definitely not happy and you could hear some serious anger behind his calm. Believe me all the CCs that were worth listening to got together and said exactly the same thing. 

What made this whole event a total apocalypse were the directives, very poor wording, and the attempt to hide said poor wording. The directives were hot garbage. I think I only did 3 directives and gave up on the 4th but that is beside the point. Anyway I’m more than happy to move on from this, but WG did an excellent job at sabotaging there own selves and all it took was an “event” like the Christmas/New Year of 2019-2020 event and make it as painfully obvious as possible that it was all about the money and themselves. In no way was it executed in the spirit of the Christmas/New Year of 2019-2020.

Edited by LiaoXanLan
  • Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,233 posts
On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 11:57 AM, landedkiller said:

I remember the days when Christmas crates have you a ship every 5 or so boxes on the megas. I remember the days when early access wasn’t given via loot boxes or infinite bundles (British cruiser event) or when tier 9 or tier 10 steel and coal and research bureau ships didn’t exist. I even remember when we had premiums that could be grinded out reasonably and not over 100+ hours. So why did it all have to change? 

I think it was greed and exploitation of the player base. Money is all I see the game being about now. I can’t believe people were dumb enough to buy Puerto Rico for instance outright. I was stupid of bought those boosters and missed the deadline full disclosure. Wargaming you have lost my trust and my money for a long time due to your exploitation of the player base and many broken promises over the years. I can’t encourage you all to stop spending, but I can say I will stop until Wargaming Realizes that all customers matter and that events should be catered to both audiences. I hope there comes a point where people wake up and realize how much Wargaming has exploited us as consumers.

It can only be raw avarice, given that the head honcho of WG is already one of a handful of billionaires in the video game industry. 

As for me, I'm done giving them money until there's a radical change in their behavior...

[WOOKY]
Beta Testers
1,743 posts
On 1/16/2020 at 4:27 AM, jmanII said:

So it is WG's fault that you were stupid, now you are mad and want other people to be the same?

this is a personal attack

@Chobittsu

• Boring 1

[A-I-M]
Members
3,495 posts
23,167 battles
15 hours ago, GMG2_Jester said:

I remember when you could have a Yamato in a div with an Erie.  :cap_rambo:

Or with a Umikaze, stealth torping the enemy Yamato every few seconds was epic. 

• Funny 1