Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Battlecruiser_Repulse

Shame about the Hawkins

19 comments in this topic

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles

I've been waiting for this ship for a long time and... sigh. 

PvZND3m.png

She'd almost be in the same discussion as Exeter or Furutaka (not nearly equal-to, but at least not dramatically worse-than [re: not embarrassing herself]), except that the 4th and 5th turrets (particularly the fifth) have such poor firing angles as to render them essentially unusable in any non-PVE setting. Like, you almost have to flat broadside to get the 5th gun into the fray, and the 4th is not much better.

It's a real shame, because she's a very pretty ship... and she's already a clear step down from Furutaka in terms of speed, gun range, torpedoes, AP performance, gun caliber, and (as I recall) AA. I'm not sure why it was necessary to saddle Hawkins with what is - in nearly all situations - a 4-gun armament, yet here we are.

Edited by Battlecruiser_Repulse

[DVYJC]
Members
3,538 posts
8,070 battles

I think with Exeter in existence there will be no need to take a stop at Station Hawkins for your Tier V RN CA needs, just buy your ticket straight through to Devonshire

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
4 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

The whole line seems pretty underwhelming. Not terrible but not good.

Hawkins would be decent without this turret problem. I don't really have complaints about the handling or anything, and the turrets turn fairly fast. But Jesus... that 5th turret is so bad, it's almost a joke. 

Devonshire's range is pathetic, which is a big red flag for that one, too.

I don't have the 7 or 8 yet.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,514 posts
15,568 battles

I just want what I've wanted since late 2017 - a super-Emerald that can fire HE. :Smile_trollface:

Just now, StoptheViolins said:

The Surrey is designed to cause any BB shooting at it to over pen.  Even the turret armor is thin.

IIRC that was the actual design philosophy in real life. They put on enough armour to keep DD and cruiser shells out of the magazine spaces, and everything else was about letting the ship's volume soak up the overpens.

[PVE]
Members
19,969 posts
12,600 battles

NOTE: Per WG, If you get an early access ship from one of the bundle types, you can STILL GET THE SAME ship from the other type of bundle. You get credit compensation for duplicates. So for example, if you get an early access Hawkins CA from the Token bundles, you can still get the Hawkins CA from the Doubloon bundles and you will credit compensation.

[NAWP]
Beta Testers
3 posts
3,692 battles

I would say that is a problem, but that is exactly as it was on the actual Hawkins class 

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
8,745 posts
15,219 battles

The problem of distributed single mounts, I think the angles could be improved somewhat but ultimately they're bad and will clip into other models if pushed, and WG doesn't do that. 

Hawkins is a bundle of contradictions on an ancient hull. I can't imagine her being comfortable. 

Members
274 posts
4 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Hawkins should have been at tier 4. Exeter's big sister York should have been tier 5.

I tend to agree. The actual Hawkins class were an unsuccessful experiment, and were nearly scrapped on the slipways prior to completion. Their fire control was bloody awful, and they were scheduled to be scrapped in the 1930's but the gathering war clouds forced the RN to hang on to them.

0 posts
9 hours ago, Battlecruiser_Repulse said:

I've been waiting for this ship for a long time and... sigh. 

PvZND3m.png

She'd almost be in the same discussion as Exeter or Furutaka (not nearly equal-to, but at least not dramatically worse-than [re: not embarrassing herself]), except that the 4th and 5th turrets (particularly the fifth) have such poor firing angles as to render them essentially unusable in any non-PVE setting. Like, you almost have to flat broadside to get the 5th gun into the fray, and the 4th is not much better.

It's a real shame, because she's a very pretty ship... and she's already a clear step down from Furutaka in terms of speed, gun range, torpedoes, AP performance, gun caliber, and (as I recall) AA. I'm not sure why it was necessary to saddle Hawkins with what is - in nearly all situations - a 4-gun armament, yet here we are.

she is supposed to have very high firing arcs, can you not use the 4th and 5th while island camping and firing from cover?

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
1 hour ago, slokill_1 said:

Sounds like Hawkins and Emerald are a great pair. 

Emerald can be played well. She has smoke, a heal, and amazing torpedoes. Hawkins is not even close to that level of utility.

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
56 minutes ago, Super_Dreadnought said:

Hawkins should have been at tier 4. Exeter's big sister York should have been tier 5.

Totally this. York deserves to be in the game, and Hawkins is far more comparable to other tier 4 cruisers. Very disappointed we'll never see York now. She looked cool, too.

HMS_York_secured.jpg

Sign in to follow this