You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
raxsavvage

Graff Zepplin and her planes

5 comments in this topic

[POTHS]
Members
12 posts
15,068 battles

First off yeah i know not british but its lacking its own section gotta put it somewhere

the deadliest threat? HE spamming destroyer

im serious, i've bounced 457's 460's , 25 seconds from a destroyer dead, 25 maybe less

wasn't even set on fire, just tore apart by a lone destroyer gunning me

her planes utterly suck for T8 they're about 2/3 the HP of other nations i got being british and american

i dont see any particular advantage of her planes either, slow torps, very low rocket count, AP bombers due to their insane speed on attacks are wonky to line up cause the green fades out and depending on the map they largely vanish entirely and any splashes blind you entirely

so her planes are REALLY glass, they aint bringing anything special, the carrier is hilariously weak to a destroyers guns but shrug off anti battleship shells with ease

what is this carrier meant to do exactly??

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,606 battles

Secondaries, not be OP, speed, not be OP, have a unique playstyle, aaaaand not be OP.

Seriously, GZ was nerfed and nerfed and nerfed. WG was afraid to have her be strong, as she might be OP. She's a great ship for co-op, if you have the balls to drive a CV into frontline combat. That said, the faster a plane is, the less damage it takes, the less flak it has to dodge, and the quicker it can attack again. GZ is deadly if you can leverage all her strengths.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,289 posts
12,973 battles
14 hours ago, raxsavvage said:

First off yeah i know not british but its lacking its own section gotta put it somewhere

im serious, i've bounced 457's 460's , 25 seconds from a destroyer dead, 25 maybe less

her planes utterly suck for T8 they're about 2/3 the HP of other nations i got being british and american

i dont see any particular advantage of her planes either, slow torps, very low rocket count, AP bombers due to their insane speed on attacks are wonky to line up cause the green fades out and depending on the map they largely vanish entirely and any splashes blind you entirely

so her planes are REALLY glass, they aint bringing anything special, the carrier is hilariously weak to a destroyers guns but shrug off anti battleship shells with ease

Well, she's a CV, so don't get shot, it's bad for you. The secondaries are a trap, both for you, and anyone crazy enough to get near you.  Built properly, you'll use the same aircraft survival skills every other CV uses. Don't fall for trying to build her for secondaries, you need those skill points and modules elsewhere. Graf Zeppelin also has normal reserves and aircraft regeneration, in line with the tech tree carriers. 

The advantages of her planes is speed, at least for the TA-152's. Her "slow" torps are similar to any torpedo that isn't IJN. You have to remember how planes take damage. Continuous AA DPS is the only one that really matters, you're trading hit points for a lower exposure time. Patrol fighters and the like just kill planes outright at a one to one ratio. With flak bursts it really doesn't matter, a couple of bad hits will wreck the squadron no matter how many hit points you have. She also drops torpedoes 3 at a time, with 3 flights, unlike the 2 at a time train of torp bombers every IJN CV except Kaga has. In my experience, Graf Zeppelin's torpedo bombers are the best tier 8 torpedo bombers to be basement tier in, which as often as it seems to happen, is worthwhile.

The ME-155's have a longer boost than other rocket planes, with the rockets somewhere between a Tiny Tims and the cloud of rockets the USn and RN bring. The slow speed of the ME-155's also helps witch actually lining up to attack DD's. Otherwise there's nothing special about the ME-155's.

The TA-152 dive bombers are usually a waste, the just can't do the damage. 7K max damage, and you drop two at a time. They are also the only of Graf's airplanes that you see the lack of hit points, as they doesn't really benefit from the damage reduction after starting an attack as other dive bombers. The attack run starts on top of the target so you've flown through all the AA already, and is very quick, so you spend almost no time actually making the attack run.

Edited by SgtBeltfed

[POTHS]
Members
12 posts
15,068 battles

yeah i was ultra frustrated and tired after 5 games of her planes being shreded like paper by just normal AA, not even flak, which they are pretty great at avoiding they just take SOOOO much damage that its neigh impossible to get a swing around for a second assault, something the lex and implacable do without issue.

the AP bombs seem... largely pointless, their massive cross arc, the left planes bomb always landing right, the rights always flying off to the left.

the rockets having less than than the T6's and such a large saturation area

the torps seem like they're about the same as the ones on the gneisenau , 6K , kinda slow...REALLY slow actually

but that destroyer just shredding the ship ... by the time engine was online leaving the area, i got killed. just seems off, like the amount of effort i've seen much larger ships hail my way incomparison snapped me.

[META_]
Members
1,592 posts
17,105 battles
On 1/15/2020 at 4:35 AM, raxsavvage said:

https://youtu.be/ubh8iseo2wc they don't suck, just not what you are used to, play to her strengths you'll be happy 

Edited by Meta_Man
Additional messages