Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HannibalCane

Why People In NA Were Confused By Ship Building Boosters

66 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

235
[7-TH]
Members
240 posts
15,832 battles

I'm pretty sure I know why so many people, including myself were confused by the boosters you could buy for doubloons. Not only did they light up and tell you how many doubloons you needed, the dates are incorrect for the NA market. The tool tip clearly shows the booster is available through June 1, 2020 in the North American Market. It should have been corrected for the NA market and should have been grayed out and said no longer available. My mind simply glossed over it because it shows a much later date.

 

To summarize for people incapable of reading the replies. The Booster were confusing because:

 

-The icons lit up when you mouse over them which made them look active.

-They have the date in the wrong format for people in the US.

-They tell you how many doubloons you need even if booster is not active (see diagram).

-They should have been grayed out or had different color text to show they were no longer active.

-They look exactly like the active boosters.

 

Lets face it, the only reason Wargaming made them expire is to force people to pay more doubloons than they would have to if they realized they could get more directives done than they thought they could. The event was made to suck money out of people and looking at the number of bright shiny PR's sailing around, it did. Queue the white knights and fan boys.

 

PRImage.thumb.jpg.aeaff1ccc1692eb315fe844e8bb57640.jpg

Edited by KristopherKringle
Clarity
  • Cool 3
  • Funny 3
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,241
[WORX]
Members
11,364 posts
19,166 battles
1 minute ago, KristopherKringle said:

I'm pretty sure I know why so many people, including myself were confused by the boosters you could buy for doubloons. Not only did they light up and tell you how many doubloons you needed, the dates are incorrect for the NA market. The tool tip clearly shows the booster is available through June 1, 2020 in the North American Market. It should have been corrected for the NA market and should have been grayed out and said no longer available. My mind simply glossed over it because it shows a much later date.

No confusion here... Its based on MILITARY date format. In this format

Day/month/year is used, not the

Month/Day/Year...

The Day/Month/year format has been used since beta... Its not new. Every date in the game is based on Month/DAY/Year format...

I guess those goofed are non military types in NA... The rest of the world use the Month/Day/Year format for every day use...

Go figure...

  • Cool 3
  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
235
[7-TH]
Members
240 posts
15,832 battles
6 minutes ago, Navalpride33 said:

No confusion here... Its based on MILITARY date format. In this format

Day/month/year is used, not the

Month/Day/Year...

The Day/Month/year format has been used since beta... Its not new. Every date in the game is based on Month/DAY/Year format...

I guess those goofed are non military types in NA... The rest of the world use the Month/Day/Year format for every day use...

Go figure...

That may be true for the military, but not for the majority of people in the US. All legal contracts, checks, bank statements, etc. are in the DD/MM/YY format. It may have been used since beta, but it is still not correct for the US. I know when we had things done for the EU market, we changed the dates so there would not be any confusion.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,103
[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,942 battles
50 minutes ago, Erebthoron said:

TBH, the complete presentation of the event as a mess. 

This is like asking which format you'd like your car wreck in.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
556
[BS]
Members
1,987 posts
11,098 battles

the fact that the window for the fake refunds was so short is [edited] too, come on....was it like 5 days or something? greedy bastards

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
353
[S0L0]
Beta Testers
849 posts
7,043 battles

WG pretty consistent every date they post is DD/MM/YY.  New players may have an excuse but not vets 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,759
[SQUAD]
Members
9,172 posts
11,680 battles
4 minutes ago, missile742 said:

WG pretty consistent every date they post is DD/MM/YY.  New players may have an excuse but not vets 

This, and when you consider how many WoWs players are former military, there's even less of an excuse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8,209
[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,096 posts
14,720 battles
1 hour ago, KristopherKringle said:

That may be true for the military, but not for the majority of people in the US. All legal contracts, checks, bank statements, etc. are in the DD/MM/YY format. It may have been used since beta, but it is still not correct for the US. I know when we had things done for the EU market, we changed the dates so there would not be any confusion.

That is also how the Europeans write the date and the Russians follow the European date rules. It isn't hard to learn their format and there would likely be mistakes converting to our system causing more problems.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,121
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,931 posts
1 hour ago, KristopherKringle said:

That may be true for the military, but not for the majority of people in the US. All legal contracts, checks, bank statements, etc. are in the DD/MM/YY format. It may have been used since beta, but it is still not correct for the US. I know when we had things done for the EU market, we changed the dates so there would not be any confusion.

It's not just a military thing, or a Europe thing.  I am a US citizen and was born here. I have never served in a branch of the military.  Various date formats including that one, are used near daily in my employment.  Different date formats when working with data from different companies, is just a fact of life.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
224
[FFG33]
Members
477 posts
18,159 battles
35 minutes ago, missile742 said:

WG pretty consistent every date they post is DD/MM/YY.  New players may have an excuse but not vets 

It would be even easier if WG just realized the best format is with the MONTH presented in text. "6 Jan 2020" and "1 Jun 2020" will never be confused with any each other.

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
235
[7-TH]
Members
240 posts
15,832 battles
5 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It's not just a military thing, or a Europe thing.  I am a US citizen and was born here. I have never served in a branch of the military.  Various date formats including that one, are used near daily in my employment.  Different date formats when working with data from different companies, is just a fact of life.

Yes, but that plus the fact the tool tip lit up and told you how many doubloons made it seem you could still buy them. I'm not  the only one I'm sure who got confused. DD/MM/YY is the correct format for the US. It is easy to look up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
4,296 posts
3,255 battles
2 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

No confusion here... Its based on MILITARY date format. In this format

Day/month/year is used, not the

Month/Day/Year...

The Day/Month/year format has been used since beta... Its not new. Every date in the game is based on Month/DAY/Year format...

I guess those goofed are non military types in NA... The rest of the world use the Month/Day/Year format for every day use...

Go figure...

Actually I think it is European date, nothing to do with the military. I have no issue as I have done many international projects, but it is confusing to many in my opinion. Lazy translation

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,121
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,931 posts
4 minutes ago, KristopherKringle said:

 DD/MM/YY is the correct format for the US. It is easy to look up.

As I said, it is not the only one used in the US, at all.  I deal with data from US based companies that use all manner of non standard date formats and all major database enterprise solutions, deal with all of them.

It is the one taught in schools but not nearly everything one needs to know in life, is taught in schools.  No time to learn like the present.

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,715
[SALVO]
Members
25,426 posts
27,339 battles
4 minutes ago, awesomeartichokes said:

It would be even easier if WG just realized the best format is with the MONTH presented in text. "6 Jan 2020" and "1 Jun 2020" will never be confused with any each other.

I was thinking this as well.  Replacing the numerical value for month with the abbreviated word for it would side step any confusion.  After all, "6 Jan 2020" may look a little odd to an American, but there's no confusing that it's January 6th or June 1st like there is with numerical values.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,069
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,256 posts

Or go YYYY-MM-DD...

Anyway, I can see why the date format would confuse some people, but it's hardly the most confusing thing about the Dockyard Debacle.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
235
[7-TH]
Members
240 posts
15,832 battles
Just now, Burnsy said:

As I said, it is not the only one used in the US, at all.  I deal with data from US based companies that use all manner of non standard date formats and software like MS SQL, deals with all of them.

It's the one taught in schools but not nearly everything one needs to know in life, is taught in schools.  No time to learn like the present.

It is on all legal forms, banking sites, checks, credit card statements, phone bills, power bills, etc. I have no doubt if you showed that tool tip the vast majority of people in the US who are not coders, they would think it was June as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,121
[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,931 posts
9 minutes ago, KristopherKringle said:

It is on all legal forms, banking sites, checks, credit card statements, phone bills, power bills, etc. I have no doubt if you showed that tool tip the vast majority of people in the US who are not coders, they would think it was June as well.

If that is the case, they now learned something.

I don't think anyone thought that Christmas event ran for 7 months.

  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,069
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,256 posts
5 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

If that is the case, they now learned something.

I don't think anyone thought that Christmas event ran for 7 months.

Given the size of the grind, that might have been more a more realistic ask of most players.  :Smile_amazed:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,211
[WMD]
Members
1,760 posts
10,032 battles

It's not European, it's the world standard. Most people work from smallest to largest, or largest to smallest.  In Canada(one of the two other large nations that make up NA) it has always been Day/Month/Year. 

Only in the USA is the month before the day... 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18
[RTXN3]
Members
30 posts
8,451 battles

I didn't have any idea how long it ran until it was almost over.  When I read that it ends on Monday.  That was pretty clear.  Even then it seemed to read that the only way it would continue was with "Boosters"  I have two boosters.  Not continuing with them.

Whatever the date, I spent $50 bucks on boosters.  I played like crazy.  I bought a premium membership.  I got my money jacked fair and square.  (Jacked is an American slang term for stolen).  It would be hard to ascertain how difficult getting the "free" boosters would be as to calculate the number needed with the paid ones.  What the end offer price would be for being close.  How exactly the end game mechanics worked.  

It ain't about the date format.  It isn't about explaining.  It isn't about any of that.  It's about being right.  So far i don't see any concern about being right, it's all about being correct. 

Rule 1: The customer is always right.  What if the customer is wrong I ask. Rule Two:  Any other issues.  See rule number one.  

Edited by Captain__Blaine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
235
[7-TH]
Members
240 posts
15,832 battles
6 minutes ago, Captain__Blaine said:

I didn't have any idea how long it ran until it was almost over.  When I read that it ends on Monday.  That was pretty clear.  Even then it seemed to read that the only way it would continue was with "Boosters"  I have two boosters.  Not continuing with them.

Whatever the date, I spent $50 bucks on boosters.  I play like crazy.  I bought a premium membership.  I got my money jacked fair and square.  (Jacked is an American slang term for stolen).  It would be hard to ascertain who difficult getting the "free" boosters would be as to calculate the number needed with the paid ones.  What the end offer price would be for being close.  How exactly the end game mechanics worked.  

It ain't about the date format.  

It made the paid boosters confusing because it appeared I could have bought them. They should have had the correct date and been grayed out or otherwise coded to show they could not be purchased. Look at the image I posted. If you showed that to almost anybody they would believe you could still buy the booster. Not to mention the fact you couldn't buy the boosters after a certain date was not in the initial communication about the event and a lot of people were caught by surprise when it occurred.

Edited by KristopherKringle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,211
[WMD]
Members
1,760 posts
10,032 battles
5 minutes ago, KristopherKringle said:

It made the paid boosters confusing because it appeared I could have bought them. They should have had the correct date and been grayed out or otherwise coded to show they could not be purchased. Look at the image I posted. If you showed that to almost anybody they would believe you could still buy the booster. Not to mention the fact you couldn't buy the boosters after a certain date was not in the initial communication about the event and a lot of people were caught by surprise when it occurred.

While I will agree that the information given by WG at the start, and frankly throughout the event was less than helpful; to all but the less well read of the USA population the end date was pretty clear. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×