You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

When did the free aiming change?

25 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
5,688 posts
17,563 battles

I remember long ago you could partially zoom in and elevate your aim point skyward. This allowed for Hail Mary shots over islands and I think some even tried to hit themselves by shooting almost straight up. Tried randomly to shoot over an island in the early moments of a match the other day and realized you can't aim much above the horizon anymore. I probably just forgot about the change (wasn't a big deal and probably bigger things going on in that update) but I was curious when the change happened and why.

[PVE]
Members
20,069 posts
12,769 battles
7 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

I remember long ago you could partially zoom in and elevate your aim point skyward. This allowed for Hail Mary shots over islands and I think some even tried to hit themselves by shooting almost straight up. Tried randomly to shoot over an island in the early moments of a match the other day and realized you can't aim much above the horizon anymore. I probably just forgot about the change (wasn't a big deal and probably bigger things going on in that update) but I was curious when the change happened and why.

I believe you have to have a ship targeted to launch high angle shots over islands. Otherwise, you use the small circle on the minimap which is a lower angle. Not all ships can launch high angle shots over islands.

[O7]
Members
5,393 posts
12,200 battles

Whatever it is you're talking about, I have never seen it. Been playing since 2015.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
4,455 posts
4,200 battles

I think that was patched up a couple years ago. I remember it, and I remember something about it being fixed.

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,055 posts
14,450 battles
28 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Aloha,

So the ability to have that view changed I believe almost 3 yrs ago, maybe 2 yrs ago. I know what you're talking about. The only way you can get that view now is to launch a spotter, obviously on a ship that has a spotter.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

[RLGN]
Members
14,965 posts
26,505 battles
49 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

20 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Aloha,

So the ability to have that view changed I believe almost 3 yrs ago, maybe 2 yrs ago. I know what you're talking about. The only way you can get that view now is to launch a spotter, obviously on a ship that has a spotter.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

Not sure if the two of you are talking about the same thing.

@Sabot_100 seems to be talking about zooming back in binocular view, to aim both to shoot higher (some claim shooting up the channel on 2B draws bots,) and to aim lower, (scrolling back lets you aim lower on a ship when danger close.)

As far as I know you still can.

@Hapa_Fodder, you seem to be talking about the bug(?) where you tap ‘M’ and start to enter map mode, but tap it and go back before you do; which used to let you see over things without a spotter.

[HINON]
Members
13,743 posts

There was a bug ages ago that would allow you to shoot shots high up and even land them on yourself but they patched that.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,296 posts
22,222 battles
3 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

There was a bug ages ago that would allow you to shoot shots high up and even land them on yourself but they patched that.

Wow, there have been some matches that would have been REAL handy.  :cap_cool:

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
13,743 posts
1 minute ago, Warped_1 said:

Wow, there have been some matches that would have been REAL handy.  :cap_cool:

I remember a video of a scharnhorst citadelling itself. It was quite amusing but aiming it was hard to do.

[UEFN]
Members
1,348 posts
23,739 battles

Sorta like in WOT when some of those tanks drove off the cliff or into the water to drown the crew, so they could deny kill from Red Team?   LOL

[WG]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
4,055 posts
14,450 battles
31 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not sure if the two of you are talking about the same thing.

@Sabot_100 seems to be talking about zooming back in binocular view, to aim both to shoot higher (some claim shooting up the channel on 2B draws bots,) and to aim lower, (scrolling back lets you aim lower on a ship when danger close.)

As far as I know you still can.

@Hapa_Fodder, you seem to be talking about the bug(?) where you tap ‘M’ and start to enter map mode, but tap it and go back before you do; which used to let you see over things without a spotter.

Nope, you used to be able to sight in and as you zoomed towards the target your view actually elevated like it does when you launch a spotter now.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

[CVA16]
Members
5,688 posts
17,563 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

I believe you have to have a ship targeted to launch high angle shots over islands. Otherwise, you use the small circle on the minimap which is a lower angle. Not all ships can launch high angle shots over islands.

Now, but originally there was no circle on the minimap. You had to zoom in about a click. Full zoom in or out wouldn't work.  I remember wasting ammo shooting over Two Brothers and then switching to follow the shells to see if I hit something. (never did) Finally gave up trying and forgot about it.

51 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Was it a bug or a feature?:cap_haloween:

Edited by Sabot_100

[CVA16]
Members
5,688 posts
17,563 battles
51 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

some claim shooting up the channel on 2B draws bots

The shooting doesn't draw the bots. It's their RPF. If the route to the closest  green ship is down the channel, thats the way they go. If you move in to shoot down the channel, that insures the channel is the closest route. WG needs to fix that so the bots (at least at the start) see the channel as blocked. Lots of other higher priority bot problems they are totally ignoring so it won't happen soon.

[PVE]
Members
20,069 posts
12,769 battles
15 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Now, but originally there was no circle on the minimap. You had to zoom in about a click. Full zoom in or out wouldn't work.  I remember wasting ammo shooting over Two Brothers and then switching to follow the shells to see if I hit something. (never did) Finally gave up trying and forgot about it.

Was it a bug or a feature?:cap_haloween:

There was also something about quickly hitting the m key and hitting it again before the map came up to pop up your view a bit. I never mastered that. I'm not sure if that is still in the game.

[PVE]
Members
20,069 posts
12,769 battles
1 minute ago, Sabot_100 said:

The shooting doesn't draw the bots. It's their RPF. If the route to the closest  green ship is down the channel, thats the way they go. If you move in to shoot down the channel, that insures the channel is the closest route. WG needs to fix that so the bots (at least at the start) see the channel as blocked. Lots of other higher priority bot problems they are totally ignoring so it won't happen soon.

The bots have been changed so that they rarely send all the bots through the middle now. They almost always send some to each side.

[CVA16]
Members
5,688 posts
17,563 battles
1 minute ago, Kizarvexis said:

There was also something about quickly hitting the m key and hitting it again before the map came up to pop up your view a bit. I never mastered that. I'm not sure if that is still in the game.

Sounds like a good way to crash your game at a most inconvenient time. Not sure I want to experiment. Already have other problems where I right click to zoom out and look around. When I release the click, I am looking on the opposite side of the ship. Not always but very disorienting.

[PVE]
Members
20,069 posts
12,769 battles
2 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Sounds like a good way to crash your game at a most inconvenient time. Not sure I want to experiment. Already have other problems where I right click to zoom out and look around. When I release the click, I am looking on the opposite side of the ship. Not always but very disorienting.

Yeah, I get that sometimes too. I don't know if it is my fault or the games. I would not discount it being my fault.

[RLGN]
Members
14,965 posts
26,505 battles
42 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Yeah, one or two bots always seem to get stuck trying to go East around the middle island on Estuary.

[CVA16]
Members
5,688 posts
17,563 battles
1 hour ago, Kizarvexis said:

The bots have been changed so that they rarely send all the bots through the middle now. They almost always send some to each side.

Now that you mention it, it has been a while since I saw almost all the bots going down the center. Always a few though.

Members
3,455 posts
41,050 battles

Since the co-op format went with 9 bots, the spawn is usually 3-3-3. 3 left, 3 middle, and 3 right for two brothers. But that is just their start point. Depending on ship speed, detection, and the human player firing a test shot; the behavior changes to proximity.

Nearest player detected gets the bot love.

On other maps, in a DD, I intentionally get detected to draw as many as 4-5 bots.

Keep firing, in a DD, bots will hunt you down.

You want to have fun and make BB players happy, just draw them to chase, get team BBs to flank each side and the citadel parade begins.

On some matches, I can hear the BB players laugh maniacally. Think Dr Evil.

If bots have any grudge, then I am probably the most despised by bots for doing this. But I am sure other players get even more bot love.

Do I think the bot mechanics are needing work. No.

Last time WG Devs flipped the safeties off the bots was back around open beta and the bots were in Cleveland's doing Terminator stuff.

Some players still shudder about that hellish week.

The bots have tremendous potential, but we are very fortunate that WG has not reactivated their Cylon mode.

They already dodge shots, tap on brakes, hold a rack of torps, and angle.

It's only a matter of time before we are assembling a ragtag fleet and fleeing to a shining server.

[PVE]
Members
20,069 posts
12,769 battles
1 hour ago, Sabot_100 said:

Now that you mention it, it has been a while since I saw almost all the bots going down the center. Always a few though.

Yeah, more if DDs are in the gap, but almost always something to the sides even then.

[YIKES]
Members
66 posts
17,958 battles

i think I am experiencing a somewhat similar (although different) issue recently where when you are locked onto a ship, they go dark, and you fire a salvo a split second after you don't maintain lock on like you used to. I have talked to other people and they are experiencing the same thing.  Was this announced or is it a potential bug?

[1984]
Members
4,318 posts
21,194 battles
8 hours ago, Xcalib3r said:

Sorta like in WOT when some of those tanks drove off the cliff or into the water to drown the crew, so they could deny kill from Red Team?   LOL

Cv used to be able to kill itself to do exactly the same thing. I was in a match where one did this and saved the win despite there being 4 of us left on the green team.

Edited by monpetitloup

[KSC]
Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles
17 hours ago, Pulicat said:

Whatever it is you're talking about, I have never seen it. Been playing since 2015.

I believe the OP is referencing this old bug, which IIRC was patched sometime back in '17 (?)

[O7]
Members
5,393 posts
12,200 battles
1 hour ago, SyndicatedINC said:

I believe the OP is referencing this old bug, which IIRC was patched sometime back in '17 (?)

wow, never even knew.