Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
WidochMeirker

Alaska - How do you do any damage?

5 comments in this topic

Members
185 posts
3,359 battles

So, I got an Alaska B for free and thought to give it a go because I heard it was a good ship.  I have about 200k exp in it now, but for the life of me can't figure out how to do any damage in it.   At range the dispersion makes it very difficult to ever hit anything and I find that once I do get closer, it's just never ending over pens on broadside ships. Occasionally it's fun to catch a BB broadside from 10km or less and do some decent damage, but I've had over pens midship at waterline on a Missouri from 6km before.  What am I missing?  I should add I don't have any heavy US cruisers besides this one.  Is there some specialty to them that makes their AP so frustrating?

[FEM]
Members
2,083 posts
17,244 battles

It's mostly about aim on certain ships. Against most BBs you will pen them well upper belt at range, and citadels up close. Against cruisers you need to be aiming waterline or below waterline and you can nuke things. I have a double rudder build on mine and brawl with it quite often, but early game sometimes it is better to fire HE and be careful to have an escape route if the enemy has an overwhelming force on that side.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,016 battles
1 hour ago, Kebobstuzov said:

early game sometimes it is better to fire HE

This has also been my experience.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

You shoot ships with your guns.

Seriously, you have great guns with great AP. I guess some degree of over pens against cruisers is unavoidable, the con of big guns, but just aim low and center for some big cit hits. Against BBs it's harder to not damage them than rack up the hits.

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,307 posts

Stand off and kite. Then punish CA/CL's that wander too close. You can citadel ANY CA/CL in the game with your 12" guns. You can also punish BB's, though not the same extent as CA/CL's. This is a cruiser killer and you need to use it as such. Team up w/a BB and give him cover against light units. That was what this was built for and what it excels at.

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this