You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
ihsasum

WG, from what we've seen so far, super yamato won't work

66 comments in this topic

[HYPE]
Members
133 posts
47,697 battles

if you want a 6 510mm gun yamato to work as long range sniper, give better dispsersion pattern or better sigma or better reload, otherwise it is just a worse yamato.

if you want to make it a mid to short range brawler with good secondaries, give it a turtle back and faster turret turning speed, even waterline citadel will do. otherwise it just a worse yamato.

• Confused 3
  • Boring 1

Members
97 posts
1,366 battles

What super Yamato?

-Edited: Yashima

Edited by Wazaa16

[ARGSY]
Members
21,721 posts
15,757 battles
5 minutes ago, ihsasum said:

if you want a 6 510mm gun yamato to work as long range sniper, give better dispsersion pattern or better sigma or better reload, otherwise it is just a worse yamato.

if you want to make it a mid to short range brawler with good secondaries, give it a turtle back and faster turret turning speed, even waterline citadel will do. otherwise it just a worse yamato.

They'll probably find that out in the first round of testing. You've got to start SOMEWHERE, and I don't recall that starting point ever being the same as what was finally released.

[WOLFG]
Members
10,727 posts
9,918 battles

510s are 510s.

Its kind of like double Ds vs triple Ds.  Yeah, they don't really add anything, but once some start thinking about it, they won't be able to help themselves.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Did I miss some kind of announcement here?

Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
14,000 posts
5,814 battles

So... Anyone remember how Thunderer's first iteration was laughed off as a terrible joke ship? How times have changed.

I'd be willing to bet that WG tweaks it into something decent. Gotta tempt players to spend the cash/steel/coal/sanity to get it somehow.

Tighter dispersion, faster reload, faster turret traverse is imho all it really needs.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
15 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

and I don't recall that starting point ever being the same as what was finally released.

Literally almost every ship released since 2017 has had only minor stat changes from point of announcement on the Dev Blog to release. Minor in the sense of +- a second or two on reload, or a second change in rudder shift, slight tweaks to concealment, changes to AA (which almost don't count given the realities of the CV rework dominating the whole year), or an alteration of a consumable.

Go actually look at the current stats of say, RN Destroyers or French Destroyers and compare them to the first stated stats on the DevBlog and see they are ESSENTIALLY identical.

The whole, "Wait and see" [edited] is just that, [edited]. Wargaming, to their credit doesn't announce these things till they are sure of the major direction/swings. We haven't had a KM DD or HMS Duke of York swing in many years.

[GRAVE]
Members
1,365 posts
19,536 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Did I miss some kind of announcement here?

yes. Newest dev blog announcing new premium ships coming into the game, with the headliner being the A-150 Super Yamato

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
23 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

yes. Newest dev blog announcing new premium ships coming into the game, with the headliner being the A-150 Super Yamato

Yeah, just read about that.  Looks like nothing claimed to be untouchable is untouchable anymore.

Are the remaining H-class battleships now a possibility?

Capture.thumb.JPG.6cee1eaa8a7e7a9be59695ea70381f4a.JPG

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[WOLF8]
Members
7,593 posts
6,366 battles
37 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Yeah, just read about that.  Looks like nothing claimed to be untouchable is untouchable anymore.

I think I can just see it in my head: a twin turret variant of Grosser Kurfirst with 508mm guns... lol.

Essentially a souped up version of Fredrick de Grosse... lel.

Not that I would say no to such ship... lul.

[--V--]
Members
1,461 posts
13,765 battles

I think the biggest problem with these guns will be the Over Pens.  Get way too many now with 16" and 18" shells.  Against battleships no less.

[GWG]
Members
7,226 posts
14,040 battles

One of the original plans was to put 20" guns on the Shinano...  

I'm sure it would have sunk a lot faster with that extra weight.

-Members-
1,642 posts
1,277 battles
50 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Everything is possible Ace ^^. 

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles

Oh look, WG once again breaking promises they previously made.

Does anyone remember when they said they wouldn't release a ship with larger guns than Yamato's 460s? They claimed  it was to preserve the prestige of that ship being the one actually built with the largest guns in history, although 510s are also not meaningfully different in overmatch so there's not much of an in-game mechanical advantage either.

This thing feels kinda pointless while also being yet another example of WG ignoring their own prior statements.

• Boring 3

Alpha Tester
1,375 posts
12,627 battles
1 minute ago, KiyoSenkan said:

Does anyone remember when they said they wouldn't release a ship with larger guns than Yamato's 460s? They claimed  it was to preserve the prestige of that ship being the one actually built with the largest guns in history, although 510s are also not meaningfully different in overmatch so there's not much of an in-game mechanical advantage either.

This thing feels kinda pointless while also being yet another example of WG ignoring their own prior statements.

Technically still the yamato class and I never really believed they wouldn't add this. Maybe just maybe we will get an 8 gun gk with 19 inch guns now

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
2 minutes ago, Fog_Heavy_Cruiser_Takao said:

Technically still the yamato class and I never really believed they wouldn't add this. Maybe just maybe we will get an 8 gun gk with 19 inch guns now

It's really not but ok.

They'll probably use this as an excuse to claim the "glass ceiling" was broken and flood tier 10 with 50cm+ gunned battleships like they did with supercruisers.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
9 minutes ago, Kami said:

Everything is possible Ace ^^. 

Doesn't mean that's necessarily a good thing.

So what's next:

• T10 ships sold directly for cash?
  • Guided-missile cruisers?
  • Tier 11 ships?

The fact that the shackles are being removed from the previously vaunted "restricitions" (ie: no subs, no guns larger than 18", etc) really makes it feel like development is becoming scarce for future content within the familiar boundaries.  It also makes it a bit worrysome for future game balance, as once you cross these thresholds, there is no going back.  I'd hate to see this devolve into a development free-for-all, where any outlandish idea can be made "feasible".

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,329 posts
13,334 battles

Which line is going to get the 1-meter calibre guns first?

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
7 minutes ago, KiyoSenkan said:

You DD lovers are going to hate when you figure out that her AP damages for 19400, with 6 guns that's 11640 worth of overpens (and with 2.1 sigma, that's a real possibility), and her wacky 8100 Alpha HE will hit for 2670 per shell, for a total of ~16,000. For comparison the Conq, does 2370 per shell and has to land 7 or more shells to do that kind of damage (of 12) with a lot lower overall accuracy/consistency than what they are proposing. Getting hit by this thing is going to *hurt*.

Also, who at Wargamiming thought 35 second reloads would be fair? A 510mm shell is gotta be what? 2500 kg? Maybe 2750? You are *not* lifting one of those up an elevator safely every 35 seconds. This should be 45 seconds per reload, minimum. A full minute likely more fairly.

• Boring 1

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
24,800 posts
3,895 battles
1 hour ago, _RC1138 said:

You DD lovers are---

Yes I played destroyers, but you seem so eager to forget that I also extensively played battleships and to a lesser extent cruisers. The fact that I spent some amount of time in one ship type does not magically mean that is the only ship type I ever played, no matter how hard you push that narrative. My first T10 was Yamato, not Shimakaze.

51cm guns do not meaningfully outperform 46cm guns in the ways that matter. Yes those shells will hurt, but only slightly more than the slightly smaller ones. The biggest possible advantage would be the overmatch thresholds, but 51cm does not overmatch anything that 46cm doesn't. There's no mechanical advantage, just slightly higher raw numbers that could just as easily be obtained by WG releasing a premium 46cm-armed Yamato with different shells.

Edited by KiyoSenkan

[WOLFG]
Members
30,780 posts
9,354 battles
1 hour ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I think I can just see it in my head: a twin turret variant of Grosser Kurfirst with 508mm guns... lol.

Essentially a souped up version of Fredrick de Grosse... lel.

I'm thinking more a souped-up Spee, with 2 triple turrets....:Smile_veryhappy: