You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Silvin

Was I unlucky with my Santa containers?

25 comments in this topic

[TSF]
[TSF]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
217 posts
13,952 battles

Since I have many ships I was hoping for a good haul from the Santa containers. I was mostly looking for ships, then doubloons and premium time.

I must have been on the naughty list because out of 45 containers I did not get a single ship and I kept getting signals and camos. I kept the list of the opened containers (one star is for a large container, two stars for a super container). I am a bit disappointed. Not that I need more ships, but not getting the odds of each type of drop before the event would be nice. Wargaming: is that something that you could provide us in the future?

Otherwise the events were good (with the exception of the crazy PR grind). The highlight for me was the 1-1 ranked. I almost passed on it and I am so glad I played it. That was the most fun in WoWS I had in a while.

Here is the list of loot from my containers.

1. 2500 coal

2. 4 Frosty Fir

3. 50 Zulu

4. 4 New Year

5. 10K Free XP

6. 4 Frosty Fir

7. 4 Frosty Fir

8. 2500 coal

9. 4 Frosty Fir

10. 50 Zulu

11. 10K Free XP

12. 2500 Coal

13. ** 30 Hydra

14. * 12 Frosty Fir

15. ** 2000 doubloons

16. 50 Zulu Hotel

17. 50 Zulu

18. 50 Zulu Hotel

19. 10K Free XP

20. 10K Free XP

21. 300 doubloons

22. 4 New Year

23. 4 Frosty Fir

24. 50 Zulu Hotel

25. 300 doubloons

26. * 15 Leviathan

27. ** 20 Frosty Fir

28. 4 New Year

29. 4 New Year

30. 50 Zulu Hotel

31. 50 Zulu Hotel

32. 4 Frosty Fir

33. 50 Zulu

34. ** 30 Hydra

35. 4 Frosty Fir

36. 50 Zulu

37. 50 Zulu Hotel

38. 50 Papa Papa

39. 50 Equal Speed Charlie London

40. 50 Papa Papa

41. 50 Papa Papa

42. 50 Papa Papa

43. 4 New Year

44. 50 Zulu

45. 2500 coal

• Funny 4

[PVE]
Members
6,892 posts
22,643 battles
11 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

... the small crates have basically no chance of ships.

Not true...1 person posted getting 6 ships from his T10 snowflakes & at least 1 of them was a T8.

Not the normal by any chance though that's for sure.

• Boring 2

Members
3,097 posts
12,297 battles

Don’t lament no premium ship drops.  I got a few, T5 and T6, utterly useless port queens.  Good for tiny coal bonus from snowflakes once a year... :cap_like:

[YIKES]
Members
3,880 posts
23,586 battles

very unlucky, buy another 40 to test your luck again

• Funny 2

[SIM]
Members
5,362 posts
8,824 battles

Considering that those are mostly smol crates, you actually made out pretty well. 

Members
843 posts
4,679 battles

You get 1500 Flags in the Supply Vault for $47 currently, the 95 camos in the camo bundle is $120, 2600 Dubs is $14.

I count about ~900 flags (worth roughly ~$28), ~60 Camos (~$75), 2600 Dubs ($14). So $117.

7500 Coal, 40k FXP doesn't really have a "value" so to speak.

No ships.

4 Mega = $27

2 Big = $8.16

39 Gift = $48

Assuming you bought them all (which you might not have, there were several free available) you're looking at ~$84 worth of boxes for $117 of lootbox stuff + the FXP/Coal.

You were after ships which you didn't get (you could have bought a T9 premium or a couple of lower tier ships), and got a minimal amount of dubloons and no premium time. If you bought Premium when it was 50% off you could have bought about 2 years worth. If you bought just dubloons you could have bought ~21500 which again is roughly enough for 2 mid-upper tier premiums in the armoury).

So in short, I'd say you were pretty lucky with the contents, IF you were happy to have just got mostly camos & flags.

[CYNIC]
Members
2,765 posts
6,960 battles

This is Dec's haul, any premium listed that could be in container, was.  I don't buy ships.
image.thumb.png.df176d619a473aa865698e4c289169bd.png

Edited by NoSoMo

[NSEW]
Members
2,096 posts
11,302 battles

Nevermind the ships, not one Premium time received during my experiences on both accounts.  Essentially, that is what I was after.

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
10,154 battles

The thing with crates is this.

If you want it, buy it.

If you don't want it, don't buy it.

Either way, don't buy crates. They are a ruse. They promise the hope of having something you want, by hiding what they contain. The truth is, you already know what you want. It is what you go out and buy. 

If you look at the premium store and see nothing that strikes you as worth buying, there is nothing of value in the crates.

IMHO.

Members
97 posts
1,366 battles

I obtained the premium Tier 6 french DD Aigle with a small container.

Guess I was very lucky

[RYZIN]
Beta Testers
31 posts

I bought 3 big Santa crates so $145. Got

Irian

Lenin

Yadchi

Duke of York

Vibris Unitis

Wichita 

Mutsu

Kidd

14,000 gold

3 months premium

And of course crap load camo and signals.was very happy with my cache. Was thinking I should have went and bought a lottery ticket after that.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,520 posts
15,613 battles

1) The small containers are always a very low chance for a ship draw. RNGesus is good to you if you get one from those.

2) You should always bear in mind that the probability calculations for multiple independent events never actually reach 100%. You are never actually guaranteed a ship. There is always a remote chance of buying ten thousand crates and never getting a ship, and there is always the possibility that it might be you.

I almost never buy crates unless the guaranteed content is something I can use effectively (e.g. tokens to acquire something that is permanent for the life of the game, or a single piece to kick a collection off if I have to miss the patch for some reason). Rarely I'll lash out, e.g. earlier this year when 2019 Lunar New Year crates were 50% off at limited numbers per person. 

Banned
259 posts
5,356 battles

You should have bought the medium crates for maximum ship drop chance.

That said, I also had a very dry spell with those that even shifted the numbers of the statistics project.

However, in the end, I did get not only a Kamikaze but also a Fujin into the bargain (besides the usual selection of garbage Tier V and VI dreck.)

https://forum.worldofwarships.eu/topic/127989-christmas-crates-drop-rate-project/

Members
1,577 posts
11,830 battles

have to say out of 45 that's fairly unlucky....I got a package of 8 "bigs" and pulled a Haida and an Exeter....even given I'll only use the Exeter in coop, I feel like I did well.

[WORX]
Members
11,357 posts
19,119 battles

I was unlucky one... Zero ships this year...

I also know that this event, was not meant for vets... SO, congrats to the new cpts who took full advantage of the Christmas event... May you sail your new ships for the coming new year...

[DWBG]
[DWBG]
Members
133 posts

I bought 20 of the mega crates and 60 of the big.  It seems like I had a higher chance of getting ships with the big crates compared to the mega even though odds are supposed to be higher. 

Monaghan, Wichita, Arizona, Missouri, Krasny Krym, T-61, Z-39, Gallant, Exeter, Hood, Nelson, Siroco, Duca d'Aosta and Huanghe.  Yes, i'm happy...

During the black friday event I also got a Tirpitz Black from the free 2018 container so luck is on my side.

Edited by DWBGaming
  • Cool 1

[O_S_D]
Members
189 posts
16,400 battles

I bought 16 small crates and just got camos, flags, coal and other stuff.  However, from the PR grind my big crate had the Exeter and the mega crate had 180 days of premium time.  Happy with everything.

[TSF]
[TSF]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
217 posts
13,952 battles

I guess I did not make this clear in my original post. All these crates except for one were free and obtained in the game, so I cannot complain too much about what I felt was a pretty bad loot.

However, based on the responses I saw it looks like I did pretty well since the odds of a ship drop from the small container seem to be very low. Which, once again, lets me ask WG to specify the odds of the drops for the different items from containers. I am no lawyer, but I have seen several games where the odds of each drop are explicitly listed, presumably for legal reasons. I wish WG would to the same. It might even help improve their sales once we realize that the odds of the free containers are really low.