You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: The Grind That Was (thoughts on the Puerto Rico event).

41 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
21,526 posts
15,632 battles

The idea was brilliant, the framework perfect. Offer a premium ship and let us watch it being built as we worked through the directives. Except, just like the Japanese battle plan for Midway, it all got a little too complicated. The Public test was designed to be easy to test the mechanisms and unfortunately didn't reveal just how hellishly difficult this thing was going to be.

The building rate was only indirectly tied to the grind, and was extra time critical if you wanted to get it done for free. The math wasn't easy and required careful checking. The doubloon boosters to kick things off were incredibly expensive compared to the PTS, and in my opinion using all three of them should have guaranteed the ship, with accelerated grinding available to get it sooner if you wished.

The free grind was completely disproportionate, even for a Tier 10 battlecruiser. WG said they pitched this at people for whom the game is their life, and I can respect them for that, but in my opinion it was a mistake. Even for those who only wanted the Gorizia, Directive 3 was a beast and IMHO (and the experience of others) it left too little time for inexperienced free grinders to pick up the mission chain the Gorizia unlocked.

Credit where credit is due, however. They gave us five clear days to put Directive 1 under our belts and have two free boosters running before construction kicked off, as well as to do the math - it's a shame they didn't explicitly state that the base building rate would be preserved from the PTS, but at least we had that info in the forums before kickoff. The responsibility of players attempting such a complex event to look for a place where such information is available is something I would prefer to discuss elsewhere, but suffice it to say that I think it does rest WITH THE PLAYER.

They also toned down Directive 7. Not that it made a difference for most people, but WG did recognise that the nation specific Tier 10 ship requirements in D7 were absurd and brought almost all of them down to Tier 8.

Finally, they gave the option for doubloon refunds for those who wanted them. This enabled a lot of people to undo their ill-conceived spending. 

IN MY OPINION: The six and seven figure XP and FXP grinds could easily have been reduced to five figures and the base XP grinds to 15K or so, and it would still have been a suitably challenging grind to earn a T10 ship. With task magnitudes similar to those of 0.8.10 and requiring completion within a four week period, this would have been a difficult but doable grind. As it was, it was impossible for the majority of players and left even some of the ones who completed it relieved that it was over.

10/10 for the idea, 5/10 for the execution (and one of those is a bonus mark for offering the refund and another owes a debt of gratitude to the people who actually managed to finish all seven directives, proving that it was actually possible). 

Wargaming, I hope you never do something as extreme as this ever again. 

DISCLOSURE: I did not earn the Puerto Rico, and it doesn't upset me that I didn't. I had long since made the decision to buy the Gorizia (or whatever T7 ship was the mid tier reward), get her doubloons back and reap the rewards for her associated missions with the minimum of fuss. By the time the full details were announced, my intentions in this regard had firmed and I could go ahead and do it with very little extra thought required. The impossibility of a free PR grind and my fears regarding the time I had available for play vs. the time at which the first three directives had to be done if I used the boosters dissuaded me from attempting the paid one. It very quickly became apparent that I could have done it, but I preferred to spend 24K doubloons on other things.

Much later in the event, it transpired that I had done much better than imagined and I also had an unexpected window of opportunity open up for heavy grinding play. In the final analysis, I could have made better use of the time I had to acquire one more free booster from daily chains tokens, finish directive 3 and possibly directive 4 earlier, and quite possibly make the cutoff to the 15,000 doubloon full-purchase point (at which point I might have given it some serious consideration) and picked up yet another T8 permacamo (I got all the others). My failure to do this rests entirely with me, because I underestimated my progress and took my eye off the ball after achieving the goals I had originally set out to achieve.

I will wonder what if for quite some time. However, I was pleasantly surprised by my ability to finish Directive 4 (and after the fact, to finish the 950K XP grind), and that's softened my opinion somewhat as to the appropriateness of this grind FOR EXPERIENCED PLAYERS.

For newbies with a small, basic clutch of T5 ships, it was a complete disaster that I hope is never repeated. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 13
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 8

[O_O]
Members
6,752 posts
16,142 battles

Well said, Ensign_Cthulhu.  I have no idea why anyone would give you a "boring" reaction for that.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,526 posts
15,632 battles
4 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Well said, Ensign_Cthulhu.  I have no idea why anyone would give you a "boring" reaction for that.

IDK, maybe the sheer number of paragraphs was soporific for them. I have no doubt I'll collect a fair number of downvotes.

I'm conflicted - I think the event was terribly flawed in its severity and betrayed the bright promise of what could have been, but there's so much I got done or took home as a result of it, and WG's willingness to offer doubloon refunds for the boosters on the terms they did has pretty much negated my ability to be angry at them. 

My praise and my criticisms stand independent of each other and should not be seen as cancelling out.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[TDG]
Members
1,849 posts
13,902 battles

Work and travel prevented getting any further than Directive 4 where I got a couple Port Slots and the Gift.

I did get Puerto Rico and Gorizia, (and all the rest of the goodies).

I might have done better if I had purchased Gorizia sooner, but that would have likely only reduced the time I had to spend to get the things I did.

I agree that this was brilliant idea that was destroyed by the extreme nature of the grind (even after buying Boosters).  The response from WG could hardly have been worse.  (This is mitigated by later offering refunds, but I do not think this replaces the damage done.)

In previous years, I greatly enjoyed the Christmas Event, the Santa crates, and the discounts offered at this time.  This time, I only bought the Boosters and Gorizia.  I did not buy anything else.  (And it is likely to be a long time before I buy anything.)  I did what I needed, but there was little enjoyment even in ships I prefer to play.  Normally, I would welcome an excuse to use every ship in my Port.

[4HIM]
Members
3,235 posts
13,834 battles

I got the Gorilla and that's about all I thought I'd get out of this.  Didn't buy any boosters either.  In the early parts, there were Christmas events that took priority over a game.  So I had not legitimate shot at PR.  Even had I bought all the boosters.  

One other thing that bugged me was the convoluted mess of how far you'd progress depending on what you did or didn't buy and when.  It was simply too complicated by far.  The IJN plan for Midway was simple in comparison.  

[RLGN]
Members
14,847 posts
26,354 battles

Had doubs in game, and got enough from Christmas containers to get the three golds. (Two just before the count started, the third a week later,) 600-ish Co-op games and daily completions got me three silver boosters.

Finished up about 2200 local on the 7th.

Finished the Gorizia directives in 33 games. Only finished one of the Personal Mission tasks unlocked by having Gorizia.

[RCNW3]
Members
1,942 posts
20,003 battles

I thought the concept was great.  But at the end of the day, while a “free” path was offered, in reality that path was not a possibility for 99.9% of the game players.  Wish they had just designed the event with reasonable directives, and that the tier 10 prize was only attainable through doubloons because that what they intended.  There was no reason to try to mask that intent, WG is a money-making venture, and should have been up front with the concept that you just don’t get a tier 10 ship for free.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,526 posts
15,632 battles
5 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

I thought the concept was great.  But at the end of the day, while a “free” path was offered, in reality that path was not a possibility for 99.9% of the game players.  Wish they had just designed the event with reasonable directives, and that the tier 10 prize was only attainable through doubloons because that what they intended.  There was no reason to try to mask that intent, WG is a money-making venture, and should have been up front with the concept that you just don’t get a tier 10 ship for free.

The problem is that you do; you just have to grind a lot of coal (and soon, FXP) for it.

I agree, though; seven directives of about half that difficulty and a booster or two would be good.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[SACH]
[SACH]
Members
1,074 posts

I spent two weeks out if the country and in any case was not going to try to grind PR out.  I earned my Kamikazie R with directives that were difficult ,heck almost impossible but at the end it was rewarding.

This was just plain craziness IMHO.

To those who got her Congrats.To those who missed it by that much ,it feels bad. To those who didn't even worry about it kudos. 

WG

I hope you learned a valuable lesson from all this, let not tick off the player base like this anymore .

Then again .....WG you so silly!!!!!

[D3MON]
Beta Testers
66 posts
2,921 battles

Ground out a few boosters spent a few $$ on doubloons and with 8 hrs and some minutes remaining in the auto build this morning when I checked before I went to work I came up short 1% to finish the PR.:Smile-angry:

[TF_34]
Members
93 posts
13,437 battles

Absolutely horrible grind and even worse economic model. I pray WG doesn't use this kind of model again.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
27,096 posts
14,720 battles
2 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

Probably a few of his fan club. Drive by down votes are lazy and don't say why that person doesn't like the post.

Edited by BrushWolf

0 posts

during the run up to the Charity Stream the week before Christmas, I was very défensive of WOWS, and the need to ring fence the Charity Event from our criticism of PR. I have since developed doubts, after all, is using a company that promotes predatory monetization of young people, the sick and unemployed, really a good platform with which to raise money for young people in need? 

When the  two different WOWS management figures expressed the "sick and unemployed" argument, for a moment, I struggled with myself, do I send their remarks to the direction of Children in Need? I didn't, but I'm not sure I would win that struggle with my conscience, a second time.

[EQRN]
Members
2,114 posts
18,547 battles

For me it was WGs response to the whole thing.  Remember when they introduced a graphics bug a couple years ago.  And all the lengths they went to show the community how hard they were working the problem, and even created a YouTube video detailing their efforts?  Flash forward to today and it’s “suck it up, buttercup”.

[WPORT]
Members
6,561 posts
11,563 battles

I did not get the Gorizia or the Puerto Rico.  I earned enough tokens during game play to purchased the first two boosters, but not the third.
During the progress of building the Puerto Rico, I was awarded a crate that contained the Exeter along with a 10-point Captain.

I'm glad to have welcomed a ship & Captain to my port.
I'm glad I didn't pursue the P.R. grind or spend doubloons on it.

The dockyard concept had potential.

Enclosed are some screenshot pictures.  The build progress shot was taken January 12th., 2020, at approximately 0935 hours, local time.

Ship received in Puerto Rico progress crate_Exeter and 10 point Captain_01-01-2020_.jpg

Puerto Rico build progress as of 01-12-2020_0935hrs_.jpg

Edited by Wolfswetpaws
add picture

0 posts
44 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

Probably a few of his fan club. Drive by down votes are lazy and don't say why that person doesn't like the post.

I don't downvote posts, but compared to my replies to Ops I disagree with, an anonymous downvote might be preferable.

[B-Z]
Members
198 posts
22,921 battles
3 hours ago, desmo_2 said:

You mean the "I'm a self entitled and self absorbed person" button?

[O_O]
Members
6,752 posts
16,142 battles
3 minutes ago, John_Crace said:

You mean the "I'm a self entitled and self absorbed person" button?

I don't have any issue with the button existing.  I just can't fathom why someone would utilize it for that particular post.

[TBW]
Members
10,563 posts
18,060 battles
2 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

I don't have any issue with the button existing.  I just can't fathom why someone would utilize it for that particular post.

You call some one out for a post and their feelings get hurt and apparently stay bruised for a long time and then they get their clan onboard. It's actually kind of funny.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,256 posts
1 hour ago, LoveBote said:

during the run up to the Charity Stream the week before Christmas, I was very défensive of WOWS, and the need to ring fence the Charity Event from our criticism of PR. I have since developed doubts, after all, is using a company that promotes predatory monetization of young people, the sick and unemployed, really a good platform with which to raise money for young people in need? 

When the  two different WOWS management figures expressed the "sick and unemployed" argument, for a moment, I struggled with myself, do I send their remarks to the direction of Children in Need? I didn't, but I'm not sure I would win that struggle with my conscience, a second time.

Yeah, I had the same struggle.  My initial reaction to the charity event being announced just a day or two after the patch went live was very negative and amounts to "what a joke"... but after some thought I figured that WG HQ acting like a bunch of ultra-entitled self-absorbed tonedeaf money-grubbing jerks wasn't a reason to trash a charity event. 

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
3,398 posts
14,069 battles
16 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

You call some one out for a post and their feelings get hurt and apparently stay bruised for a long time and then they get their clan onboard. It's actually kind of funny.

I think it’s possible the motivations of the bored are simpler - if a post requires them to think, they are automatically “bored.” Or they just disagree, but are too lazy to articulate their disagreement.

0 posts
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

a bunch of ultra-entitled self-absorbed tonedeaf money-grubbing jerks

an unfortunately accurate description of what so many think of them

[WOLF6]
Members
133 posts
6,048 battles

It won't let use any down vote emoticon on this post.  Suffice to say I don't know if the up vote emoticon works.

with 60k? playerbase who would expect a company to cater to less than 100 players, especially a company with a reputation as horrid as WG.  

As many have said, this event used mind fck to open players wallet.  With the number Puerto Ricos seen in game, WG is puffing a cigarette  in bed with a satisfied smile.

• Funny 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,256 posts
7 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

an unfortunately accurate description of what so many think of them

It's how I'd describe their behavior and the impression it leaves -- wouldn't want to be accused of insulting our corporate overlords by saying that's what they actually are.  :Smile_sceptic:

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
16,256 posts
4 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Credit where credit is due, however. They gave us five clear days to put Directive 1 under our belts and have two free boosters running before construction kicked off, as well as to do the math - it's a shame they didn't explicitly state that the base building rate would be preserved from the PTS, but at least we had that info in the forums before kickoff. The responsibility of players attempting such a complex event to look for a place where such information is available is something I would prefer to discuss elsewhere, but suffice it to say that I think it does rest WITH THE PLAYER.

There is no credit due here.

• The information was initially withheld, and the presentation and promotion was deliberately misleading. 
  • The information wasn't in the game, and had to be pried out of WG in the venue of these forums -- it didn't appear in the game itself until after the build process started, or until players hit certain thresholds of completion.
  • No player should ever have to trawl through forums, social media feeds, etc, to get basic information for an event.
  • No event should ever require players to use algebra and complex spreadsheets to put that information together to determine whether they can complete it or how far they can get. 

You're blaming the players for not doing what they should never have to do in the first place, and damn near giving WG a free pass for making doing it necessary in the first place. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 5