Hapa_Fodder

ST, Upgrades changes

58 comments in this topic

[WGA]
[WGA]
Administrator, Developers, Community Department, WG Staff, In AlfaTesters
877 posts
12,093 battles

In version 0.9.1 we will change the existing upgrades in our game and add some new ones. These changes will add more variety in the choice of upgrades and will allow players to further customize their ship to suit their play style.

Some upgrades will be replaced by new ones and removed from the game. In this case, the upgrades already mounted on the ships will be replaced by their new versions. Upgrades in the inventory will be exchanged for credits for their full value.

New upgrades

Maneuverability system (slot # 2):

• This upgrade will replace the "Propulsion Modification 1" and "Steering gears Modification 1" upgrades, which will both be removed from the game. The new upgrade will combine both of their bonuses into one:
    • -20% risk of engine and steering gears becoming incapacitated;
    • -20% engine and steering gears repair time.

Torpedo tubes Modification 1 (slot # 3):

• + 20% to torpedo tubes turn speed;
  • -40% risk of torpedo tubes becoming incapacitated;
  • +5% to ship's torpedo speed;

Aerial torpedos Modification 1 (slot # 3)

• + 5% to aerial torpedo speed

Torpedo protection system (slot # 5):

• Replaces the "Target Acquisition System Modification 1" and will give the following bonuses:
    • Allows for torpedoes to be detected at a fixed distance of 1.8 km, regardless of the torpedoes' detectability range ("Vigilance" skill will improve it).
    • Add +5% to ship's torpedo protection.

Ship's consumables Modification 1 (slot # 5):

• + 10% to action time of ship's consumables.

Squadron's consumables Modification 1 (slot # 5):

• + 30% to action time of squadron's consumables.

Auxiliary Armaments Modification 1 (slot # 6):

• Upgrade will combine the "AA Guns Modification 2" and "Secondary Battery Modification 2" upgrades, which will be removed from the game:
    • + 15% continuous damage from AA mounts;
    • + 15% damage per second within the explosion radius of shells fired from AA defenses;
    • -20% to secondary battery reload time;
    • +2 to the number of explosions produced by salvos from AA defenses while the "Defensive AA fire" consumable is active.

Upgrades changes

Damage Control System Modification 1 (slot # 2):

• Added a bonus that gives +2% to ship's torpedo protection.

Defensive AA fire Modification 1:

• Added bonus that reduces the reload time of the "Defensive AA fire" consumable by 10%.

Main Battery Modification 2 (slot # 3):

• Removed penalty to main battery reload time.

AA guns Modification 1 (slot # 3):

• Bonus to the number of explosions produced by salvos from AA defenses replaced by a -20% reduction to Priority AA Sector preparation time.

Special upgrades:

• For all special upgrades, the restrictions on installation by class and tier of ships have been removed.

WIP4_03.png

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

• Cool 6

[DOD]
Beta Testers
65 posts
3,025 battles

Will there be a window where we will be able to demount and exchange upgrades without having to pay doubloons?

• Cool 3

[O7]
Members
1,924 posts
16,192 battles

looks like a good overall change. At least helps secondary builds be slightly less weak by buffing AA at the same time.

• Cool 1

Members
14 posts
4,465 battles

Ok, let's look at this from a realistic point of view.  Do any of these upgrades now get weaker for Clan Wars or Clan Battles?  Why would you nerf secondaries to buff aa when it hurts you in Clan Wars?  Is is maybe because they want the gold for demounting things?!?!?!?!  This is a serious question.  I'm trying to get up to speed on things but this seems odd.  Why not just add new upgrades but keep the existing ones as is?

Edited by Walleye_Fishing
  • Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
15,657 posts
10,482 battles
19 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

• This upgrade will replace the "Propulsion Modification 1" and "Steering gears Modification 1" upgrades, which will both be removed from the game. The new upgrade will combine both of their bonuses into one:

I always took propulsion, but being able to have both isn't going to hurt. 10/10 for this one.

21 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Interesting.

21 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

• Replaces the "Target Acquisition System Modification 1" and will give the following bonuses:
    • Allows for torpedoes to be detected at a fixed distance of 1.8 km, regardless of the torpedoes' detectability range ("Vigilance" skill will improve it).

It will be interesting to see how many people mourn the loss of that 3km guaranteed acquisition range.

22 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

This will make for interesting decisions for sure, given that you have to sacrifice concealment systems mod 1 to use them.

24 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

• Upgrade will combine the "AA Guns Modification 2" and "Secondary Battery Modification 2" upgrades, which will be removed from the game:
    • + 15% damage per second within the explosion radius of shells fired from AA defenses;
    • +2 to the number of explosions produced by salvos from AA defenses while the "Defensive AA fire" consumable is active.

Shouldn't that be Mod 2? Mod 1 is already in slot #1, providing extra health to AA and secondaries.

24 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Every little bit helps!

25 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

This is the WD-40 mod, isn't it, to improve main turret rotation? A change that will be welcomed.

26 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

• Bonus to the number of explosions produced by salvos from AA defenses replaced by a -20% reduction to Priority AA Sector preparation time.

It will be interesting to see how this balances out. Ships with long range AA auras might or might not thank you, and it will be time to look at its reinstatement on Texas and other such ships.

27 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

Special upgrades:

• For all special upgrades, the restrictions on installation by class and tier of ships have been removed.

Does this mean that Italian cruisers will now be able to mount the smokescreen generator mod?

Overall a very interesting (and IMHO generally positive) shakeup to the game mechanics.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
1,924 posts
16,192 battles
7 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Does this mean that Italian cruisers will now be able to mount the smokescreen generator mod?

I doubt it as the Fuel Smoke is a different consumable. They would have to make a note of making the mod work for fuel smoke too.

[AVW]
Members
135 posts
22,704 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Special upgrades:

Would WG please clarify what hey mean by Special Upgrades? this, it seems, can be so easily misconstrued. Perhaps give an example? I already have folks asking me if it means Unique Upgrades and honestly, I don't know if it does or not. If it does, would that mean that any player could theoretically regrind the RB over and over to put the Montana UU on every US ship they have? I know it sounds silly, but it's a serious question really!

• Confused 2

[ARGSY]
Members
15,657 posts
10,482 battles
Just now, Zilla said:

Would WG please clarify what hey mean by Special Upgrades?

I'm pretty sure they mean the ones you can get for coal in the Armory, but if @Hapa_Fodder @TheURLGuy, @Femennenly or some other higher up can get clarification on this, it would be VERY welcome.

1 minute ago, Kebobstuzov said:

I doubt it as the Fuel Smoke is a different consumable. They would have to make a note of making the mod work for fuel smoke too.

Fuel Smoke is only what they call it on Italian ships. If you use a Smokescreen consumable II (the premium one) on an Italian cruiser, it gets an extra charge of fuel smoke (and likewise for crawling smoke in Haida, Perth, Huang He). But that's why I asked the question so that a mod would be tagged.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,695 posts
4 minutes ago, Zilla said:

Would WG please clarify what hey mean by Special Upgrades? this, it seems, can be so easily misconstrued. Perhaps give an example? I already have folks asking me if it means Unique Upgrades and honestly, I don't know if it does or not. If it does, would that mean that any player could theoretically regrind the RB over and over to put the Montana UU on every US ship they have? I know it sounds silly, but it's a serious question really!

No' it's the Special Upgrades you can buy for coal in the armory.  Extended Hydro time, etc.

• Cool 1

[WGA]
[WGA]
877 posts
12,093 battles
5 minutes ago, Zilla said:

Aloha,

Special Upgrades are the upgrades you buy in the armory for coal, Unique Upgrades are for tier X ships specifically to change how a ship may be employed.

Mahalo,

-Hapa

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
4,695 posts
41 minutes ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

In version 0.9.1 we will change the existing upgrades in our game and add some new ones. These changes will add more variety in the choice of upgrades and will allow players to further customize their ship to suit their play style.

Some upgrades will be replaced by new ones and removed from the game. In this case, the upgrades already mounted on the ships will be replaced by their new versions. Upgrades in the inventory will be exchanged for credits for their full value.

New upgrades

Upgrades changes

• Added bonus that reduces the reload time of the "Defensive AA fire" consumable by 10%.

Special upgrades:

WIP4_03.png

Please note that the information in the Development Blog is preliminary.

Looks pretty good.  There are a couple others I would have buffed as well.  But at least this is a step in the right direction.   Still not sure if the Target Acquisition upgrade is enough.

[WOLF5]
Members
3,017 posts
3,309 battles
37 minutes ago, Destroyer_Minegumo said:

Does this mean Belfast and Atlanta will be able to mount Radar Mod now? 

Yup. And the Missouri:cap_haloween: I think I'm going to be spending a good bit of coal when this goes live.

Good changes I think. Upgrades were getting a bit stale, with no real variety of build within ship types.

[KRB]
Members
5 posts
4,426 battles

@Hapa_Fodder I urge you guys to rethink the changes to AA gun modification 1. Flak bursts are an instrumental part of Stopping strikes and fleet protection with the current AA system in the game. The current upgrade allows the current ships which have strong AA, such as the minotaur, worcester and Friesland to run it to increase their flak bursts while improving their fire rate or range with the final spot upgrade. This change, in my opinion, will severily damage the AA effectiveness of some ships, particularly the upcoming European DD's which have strong AA and good firepower due to being able to run AA gun mod 1 and the reload mod in the final slot. They will now be obligated to decide on AA effectiveness or main gun effectiveness. As stated earlier, this may be wrong but I sincerely urge you to look into how this will impact this future ship line before making the change as marketing the European DD's as strong AA ships with great firepower while forcing them to choose between their efficiency in one or the other is a terrible idea. 

P.S: This change will make it even less likely for players to use anything but dispersion in the 3rd slot resulting in less diversity than before.   

[EQRN]
Members
1,667 posts
13,889 battles

RN CLs don’t get propulsion mod as it’s apparently baked in.  So does the ship get nerfed, or will they accelerate in an even more ludicrous manner?

• Confused 1

[_ARP_]
Members
694 posts
31,593 battles

Also, I think seal clubbers could use the engine boost mod 1 on t2-4 ships sooner or later, I would imagine 

i could be wrong tho 

Edited by Submarine_M1

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
569 posts
8,646 battles

@Hapa_Fodder Please find out if we are getting free de-mounts with 0.9.1 when these changes happen. There are a lot of ships we are going to want to change. Just off the top of my head, I know I will want to put Radar mod 1 on Cleveland, Baltimore, Atlanta, Chapayev, and Indianapolis.

[EQRN]
Members
1,667 posts
13,889 battles
18 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

RN CLs don’t get propulsion mod as it’s apparently baked in.  So does the ship get nerfed, or will they accelerate in an even more ludicrous manner?

Oops, I thought they were combining rudder boost and propulsion boost mods, not the damage mitigation ones :Smile_facepalm:

[WGA]
[WGA]
877 posts
12,093 battles
10 minutes ago, Shannon_Lindsey said:

@Hapa_Fodder Please find out if we are getting free de-mounts with 0.9.1 when these changes happen. There are a lot of ships we are going to want to change. Just off the top of my head, I know I will want to put Radar mod 1 on Cleveland, Baltimore, Atlanta, Chapayev, and Indianapolis.

Aloha,

Valid question, I'll ask :)

Mahalo,

-Hapa

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
2,523 posts
9,873 battles
1 hour ago, DukeTestudo said:

Will there be a window where we will be able to demount and exchange upgrades without having to pay doubloons?

That's funny halfway through reading the changes I said to myself I will bet all the tea in China that the first post up will be about a free respect .

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,275 posts
9,171 battles
2 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

will this apply to Speed Boost?

[IND8]
[IND8]
Members
569 posts
8,646 battles

Not counting upgrades that are getting replaced entirely, this is a list of changes I will be wanting to make to the ships I currently have based off the ST news:

US
Indianapolis-Radar Mod 1
Atlanta-Radar Mod 1
Baltimore-Radar Mod 1
Cleveland-Radar Mod 1

IJN
Musashi-Torpedo Protection System
Kagero-Torpedo Tubes Mod 1
Shinonome-Torpedo Tubes Mod 1
Akatsuki-Torpedo Tubes Mod 1
Fubuki-Torpedo Tubes Mod 1
Mutsuki-Torpedo Tubes Mod 1

Russia
Chapayev-Radar Mod 1
October Revolution-Main Battery Mod 2
Ismail-Main Battery Mod 2
Veliky-Main Battery Mod 2

Germany
Bismarck-Torpedo Protection System

UK
Ark Royal-Aerial Torpedoes Mod 1
Implacable-Aerial Torpedoes Mod 1
Furious-Aerial Torpedoes Mod 1
Hermes-Aerial Torpedoes Mod 1
Emerald-Hydro Mod 1

France
Siroco-Engine Upgrade mod 1
Jaguar-Engine Upgrade mod 1

Pan Asia
Hsienyang-Radar Mod 1

And that is why I am curious if we are getting free demounts. I am sure there are a lot of people with a lot more changes than this.

[SUCIT]
Members
650 posts
15,851 battles
3 hours ago, Hapa_Fodder said:

very nice, no complaints here

I see every DD taking this and considering how badly you effed up the AA upgrade in this slot, probably the new default cruiser upgrade for those with torpedoes

again quite nice

good news: Target Acquisition has been removed for being useless versus concealment. Bad news: these upgrades aren't much better

not that most smart people used the slot 6 upgrades this is combining anyway.

alright, not bad

ok, not that DFAA does anything except make pretty red flak clouds

Main Battery Modification 2 (slot # 3)

Musashi, Yamato, QE, Gremmy, okhotnik, and Leningrad (possibly even FR DDs) love the look of this

so you remove an upgrade that only helps against potato CV players and replace it with one of the most useless upgrades I've ever seen? Guess even braindead CVs can still screw over mentally sane people

Special upgrades:

I suspect this looks like a good change on paper, but will backfire as people start putting these upgrades on low tier ships and seal club even harder. Plus side is the only ship that I can see have a great use for a special mod below T6 is Sirocco, but that thing gets seal clubbed by anything that isn't a Minekaze or Mutsucki.

• Cool 2