You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
henrychenhenry

How did your Puerto Rico grinding go?

46 comments in this topic

[NSC]
Members
2,333 posts

Now that the Dockyard event is over, here's the big question: What did you get? What did it cost?

Whether you got the Puerto Rico or not, what other prizes did you get along the way?

Fair seas!

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
3,266 posts
27,607 battles

Gorizia, dubs, premium time, signals, coal and lots of bad looks from my wife. 

Edited by giovybez
  • Cool 1

[TIGRB]
Members
875 posts
16,899 battles

I eneded up buying it out. Spent over 50 Dollars. Worth it? I won't make a repeat of it, Thats for sure.

[ARGSY]
Members
21,605 posts
15,660 battles

I bought the Gorizia to short-circuit the first three directives, get an early start on the missions she unlocked, and win her doubloon value back with a minimum of fuss. This is exactly what I would have done if there had been no Puerto Rico, so I don't consider that money spent on the PR grind.

I did not buy any of the boosters, nor did I buy any Santa crates for myself (I bought them for others as Christmas gifts).

I got up to Phase 28, but this is mostly because I took my eye off the ball once I got the Gorizia's doubloon value back and underestimated how much further I was capable of going (in the end, I just finished Directive 4). 

With a bit more attention to detail I might have finished D4 earlier and maybe even D3, had more tokens, and would have made it to Phase 30. That would have got me another free permacamo and brought PR's buy-out price down to 15K doubloons, at which point it would have represented a very, very, very good deal.

But that's all on me. When all is said and done, I set a bunch of goals at the beginning of this event and I achieved all of them. Realising how much more I could have achieved only came later, and any responsibility for falling short of the extra lies with me and not with WG.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 2

[RSWF]
Members
103 posts
7,292 battles
8 minutes ago, giovybez said:

Gorizia, dubs, premium time, signals, coal and lots of bad looks from my wife. 

Lol.  Same with me, including the bad looks.

Also, the PR mega-grind made me want to dust off some old games.  So I fired up Witcher 3, and will now be taking a break.

[TDR]
[TDR]
Members
914 posts
10,648 battles

PR finished for me Friday night at a cost of $25 or a t8 premium ship in doubloons, depends on your perspective. I felt it was worth it for all the rewards along the way and enjoyed the event and Christmas break. Also got Gorizia obviously and I’m actually enjoying the Italian line.

[WOLF6]
Members
599 posts
9,932 battles

Finished Directive 2 and then choose life with some women and child that said they lived in my house :)

• Funny 1

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

No clue.  Outside of collecting the random rewards, I didn't pay much attention to it at all.

• Cool 1

[FEM]
Members
2,066 posts
17,210 battles

used 2 boosters at the start. Coulda done it with one but meh, got a T10 at the cost of a T8 and just had to play normally to complete the grind. Playing well really speeds things up.

• Cool 1

Members
1,123 posts
2,212 battles

I didn't spend anything on it as I wanted to see how'd I would do when I was playing.  I stopped trying once I realized how long it would take me to get the necessary boosts to even have a chance.  Got through phase 3 last night just by checking once a week on the game, but I'm not spending 35k doubloons on the ship.  The free crates were nice but overall I'm turned off from the little bit I saw and read about the event because it just feels like a massive scam and money grab.

[TDG]
Members
1,850 posts
13,913 battles

I had significant travel this year, so I bought the Boosters.

I then figured out just how much time I would still need to spend to get the ship, and bought Gorizia to get the shortened Tasks.

In the end, I got everything on offer (and the doubloons for Gorizia).  The perma-camo, Steel, and Puerto Rico are the main rewards for me.

Since I spent much less than I did last year, I am fine with the cost.  Normally, I would have gone a bit crazy on the crates to get ships.  (I have been happy with the other items I have received in years past.  I did not even look at the returns this year.)

[KNMSU]
Members
7,086 posts
7,766 battles
33 minutes ago, henrychenhenry said:

Now that the Dockyard event is over, here's the big question: What did you get? What did it cost?

Whether you got the Puerto Rico or not, what other prizes did you get along the way?

Fair seas!

Why even ask?

1) You know that under 100 people got it legitimately. And, at last check, that number was <50.

2) Anyone who paid for the thing but didn't pay enough got nothing.

3) Anyone who paid enough got a less-than-spectacular non-premium tier 10, that is probably a net loss for any team that might have otherwise gotten a Des Moines or Montana in its place.

4) The vast majority of us - I'd wager upwards of 95% - contributed, and received, nothing. The event might as well have not taken place.

How did my Puerto Rico grind go? There wasn't a Puerto Rico grind. The ship never existed.

But you knew that, didn't ya, champ?

• Cool 1

[BUOY]
Members
1,100 posts
15,198 battles

Finished Directive 2, knocked off all my snowflakes from 10-7, said heck with the rest of it and played Steam Winter Sale games.

This whole ordeal has me really pissed off.

[SLDR]
Members
282 posts
11,141 battles

Did not buy Gorizia.  Did not buy any dub boosters.  Just ground it the old fashioned way with lots of flags / camo / premium consumables.

Completed Directive 4.  Got past the Phase 27 in the dockyard.  And like the other poster said, also got lots of bad looks from wife.

Members
333 posts
10,811 battles

A lot of painful grinding, got two boosters to round things off. Got a decent T10 for the price of a T8 so I'm satisfied 

[RBMK2]
Beta Testers
25 posts
11,122 battles

Here is what pisses me off about this entire event, I bought one booster at the start.  Then I figured I will play the directives and see where I am, on Monday afternoon (the 6th) I logged in, realized I was most likely going to only get through directive 5 because I don't have 200 ships in my port, and I am basically out of signals at this point (I was a CBT tester and played up till maybe the German BB line came out and took a two year break more or less so I have not been stockpiling signals for years).  So I decide to buy the second booster which at that point since it said I would finish 34 of 36 stages, that booster would push it over and it would only cost me 14000 doubloons to get the ship.  I go buy the extra doubloons I need for the 8K, then find out, oh that's awesome, they stopped selling the boosters the night before.  Yes blaa blaa blaa I should have read all the rules and fine print, but who thinks they would be ballsy enough to stop selling the boosters early, but yeah it is WG after all I guess.  Now they can try and tell me they did this to avoid people being butt hurt that they bought a booster late and still didn't get the ship, but we all know they stopped selling it so that people like me would either have to pay 15000 doubloons (21K if you count the first booster) to finish the ship, or say screw it and leave that stupid thing in the shipyard as a reminder until the end of time...  Not to mention if I "buy it now" for 15K I don't get the 10K coal for stage 35 either...

image.thumb.png.a5e33cb522bd0c1c536ec79ab908b6a9.png

1002694017.png

[WAG]
Members
859 posts
13,544 battles

Spent $0, made it to stage 30, which was a T8 Permanent Camo, and PR purchase for 15k.

[TOG]
Members
4,213 posts
25,120 battles

shot-20_01.12_18_05.53-0504.thumb.jpg.1907f094e82e2644880a7dffe979b90a.jpg

I might be able to finish the first 2, but I'm not holding my breath. It's 275 steel more than I didn't have before. So I can't complain.

Edited by Bill_Halsey

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,684 posts
7,066 battles

Directive 3, no dub boosters..... netted me Gorizia and one Perma camo and various other rewards along the way...   That was way more grinding than I wanted to do over the holidays.  Was prepared to and would have spent reasonable money to avoid that grind..... But this was too much after looking at it closer for me with anything but 3 boosters.  I consider this event one of the most obnoxious that WG has dropped on us considering the lead up to it.  congrats to those that managed this free or even with one booster.   Were way more than I thought would.          

[NFFS]
Members
207 posts
7,270 battles

Good Morning!

When the event actually dropped I took a good look at it before spending any money on it.  The sheer number of zeros ( 0 ) behind some of the numbers told the story: I was not going to bother with it.  I think I got about 90% through part 3 in the dockyard and didn't finish the 2nd directive.  Its all good.