Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Please confirm for me in-game that today's Dailies DO NOT earn Shipbuilding tokens. (ETA: CONFIRMED)

29 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

13,501
[ARGSY]
Members
21,693 posts
15,738 battles

If they do not, I am putting my laptop in for repair and maintenance until patch 0.9.0 drops.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
725
[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,677 posts
20,725 battles

Any ship building tokens should show in the rewards earned in the home port. I have to see if there are any there this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
725
[TFK]
[TFK]
Alpha Tester
1,677 posts
20,725 battles
15 minutes ago, Potohto928 said:

No tokens today.  Or probably ever again.

 

^^ QFT

Just cammo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,179
[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If they do not, I am putting my laptop in for repair and maintenance until patch 0.9.0 drops.

You play on a laptop? Yesh.

  • Boring 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
380
[USCGC]
[USCGC]
Members
826 posts
7,409 battles
2 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

You play on a laptop? Yesh.

It’s not so bad, especially if it’s all you have. It’s what I played on until recently when I built a gaming rig. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,854
[WOLFG]
Members
10,685 posts
9,900 battles
Just now, Diesel_Thunder said:

It’s not so bad, especially if it’s all you have. It’s what I played on until recently when I built a gaming rig. 

Seeing as I travel a fair bit, a laptop is the best solution.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,501
[ARGSY]
Members
21,693 posts
15,738 battles
20 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

You play on a laptop? Yesh.

It runs the game fine, and it means I can take WOWS on international holidays with me. I have a TEN HOUR layover waiting for me in March; guess what I will be doing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,687
[PVE]
Members
4,674 posts
20,617 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If they do not, I am putting my laptop in for repair and maintenance until patch 0.9.0 drops.

Funny you mentioned this........  I took my PC into the shop Saturday !  And, it's back and I'm researching space games (ED as an example) versus playing WoWs.....  I'll keep reading the forums so PLEASE, keep reporting what is going on...!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,179
[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
20 minutes ago, ItsSubmersible said:

Me too, Actually started with a Surface Pro.

 

21 minutes ago, Diesel_Thunder said:

It’s not so bad, especially if it’s all you have. It’s what I played on until recently when I built a gaming rig. 

I have a 'meh' Asus for when I travel for work, but why would you ever use or even rely on a laptop for gaming? By default you are paying 30% or more for the same level specs but to just make it portable.

4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It runs the game fine, and it means I can take WOWS on international holidays with me. I have a TEN HOUR layover waiting for me in March; guess what I will be doing.


Get a Switch. Much better for gaming on the go. One of my coworkers got one and let me play it on a recent trip to Korea, and I was so shocked at how great it was I bought one and had it waiting at my door when I returned. Plus it lets you vary your gaming diet a bit. I did the Mario Cart Bundle and it was only ~$350 USD.

Edited by _RC1138

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,501
[ARGSY]
Members
21,693 posts
15,738 battles
1 minute ago, _RC1138 said:

By default you are paying 30% or more for the same level specs but to just make it portable.

In my case, the portability is somewhere between "well worth paying for" and "essential". 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,501
[ARGSY]
Members
21,693 posts
15,738 battles
Just now, StoptheViolins said:

Don't freak out, OP, but you also can no longer complete directives.

:Smile_veryhappy: Yeah, NP. I knew that was coming. I'm satisfied with how far I got, and even if we had till Tuesday night I wouldn't have been able to finish anything else that had any meaningful rewards.

However, I was just nine tokens short of a free instantaneous boost (my fault for various reasons), and if they were still running I was going to grab them, activate the boost and do what I could with it. I just wanted to make sure it was safe to miss out on a night or two of play before I put the machine in for overhaul.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,179
[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

In my case, the portability is somewhere between "well worth paying for" and "essential". 

Well as a general rule you add ~30% to the price of a Laptop compared to a similar spec Gaming Desktop (even more if you you are comfortable building it on your own). So let's say you have $750 gaming laptop; you could get a $500.00 gaming Desktop, with the same specs, and without all the other issues that laptops carry (especially power consumption and heating issues (to say nothing of lacking upgradability/service life), and have $250 for a Switch plus a game ($200 for a Switch light plus $50-$60 for a game).

I've owned gaming laptops, I had an Alienware way back when and a Falcon Northwest, and they just are not worth the money. I'd rather spend the same amount, get a computer half again as powerful, and also have the option to upgrade as needed; my current computer started with 1 Titan GTX and now has two of them cause it started chugging on recent releases.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,501
[ARGSY]
Members
21,693 posts
15,738 battles
1 minute ago, _RC1138 said:

Well as a general rule you add ~30% to the price of a Laptop compared to a similar spec Gaming Desktop (even more if you you are comfortable building it on your own). So let's say you have $750 gaming laptop; you could get a $500.00 gaming Desktop, with the same specs, and without all the other issues that laptops carry (especially power consumption and heating issues (to say nothing of lacking upgradability/service life), and have $250 for a Switch plus a game ($200 for a Switch light plus $50-$60 for a game).

I've owned gaming laptops, I had an Alienware way back when and a Falcon Northwest, and they just are not worth the money. I'd rather spend the same amount, get a computer half again as powerful, and also have the option to upgrade as needed; my current computer started with 1 Titan GTX and now has two of them cause it started chugging on recent releases.

All that you have said is true. However, I don't ONLY use the laptop for gaming and WOWS is the only game I play on it.

Barring the need to replace my laptop, the next computer I buy will probably be this: https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/19/the-c64-maxi-micro-computer-review-commodore-reborn-again-11923985/ I want to relive that good old fashioned programming experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,193
[PVE]
Members
12,579 posts
26,158 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If they do not, I am putting my laptop in for repair and maintenance until patch 0.9.0 drops.

It's over. No more directives and tokens.

Lots of people in Co-op this morning who think it is still on. :Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
189
[DBRIS]
Members
687 posts
11,879 battles
5 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

All that you have said is true. However, I don't ONLY use the laptop for gaming and WOWS is the only game I play on it.

Barring the need to replace my laptop, the next computer I buy will probably be this: https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/19/the-c64-maxi-micro-computer-review-commodore-reborn-again-11923985/ I want to relive that good old fashioned programming experience.

Wow, didn't know it was resurrected! I remember typing in programs from magazines in to that thing! 8 byte graphics will probably be quite the adjustment!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,501
[ARGSY]
Members
21,693 posts
15,738 battles
4 minutes ago, ItsSubmersible said:

Wow, didn't know it was resurrected! I remember typing in programs from magazines in to that thing! 8 byte graphics will probably be quite the adjustment!

It's not an exact recreation. For example, it has none of the old cartridge or printer interface slots, and your TV connector is now an HDMI port. However, it seems to have what is essentially a hard drive (or possibly multiple hard drives) and it does other tricks as well, including taking "system snapshots" of the memory at any time. Some things require workarounds, but I think a lot of the people who are buying these are actually doing it to do programming or play around with various software fixes, and that IMHO is in the spirit of the original anyway.

Nevertheless, I feel it represents the best we can hope for, and short of tracking down a nearly 40 year old machine for yourself and hoping it remains in good working order, this is an outstanding substitute. Working original C64's on e-bay are NOT cheap.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
405
[TDG]
Members
1,851 posts
13,940 battles
29 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Funny you mentioned this........  I took my PC into the shop Saturday !  And, it's back and I'm researching space games (ED as an example) versus playing WoWs.....  I'll keep reading the forums so PLEASE, keep reporting what is going on...!!!

Assuming you meant Elite Dangerous, I've been playing that for a while now.  I have found it quite enjoyable, but I like figuring things out.

I will be greatly reducing my playing time here once the patch drops. (I'm still melting Snowflakes.)

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,179
[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
19 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Barring the need to replace my laptop, the next computer I buy will probably be this: https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/19/the-c64-maxi-micro-computer-review-commodore-reborn-again-11923985/ I want to relive that good old fashioned programming experience.

It's your money but I don't think that's worth it at all. Are there not free emulators for Commodore 64 games? I vaguely remember seeing them when passing through a few of the more prolific ROM depositories.

EDIT

There are, literally dozens of them:

https://www.c64forever.com/

Here's a free Browser one:

https://virtualconsoles.com/online-emulators/c64/

Edited by _RC1138

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13,501
[ARGSY]
Members
21,693 posts
15,738 battles
5 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Here's a free Browser one:

I've tried it. The keys of a normal PC don't map correctly to a lot of important symbols, and I would prefer to work with a native C64 keyboard (or as close as this thing gets) when doing extensive programming of any kind.

 I don't want this thing for games; I want it for programming - specifically playing around with machine code and the joys of assembling by hand. I also want to teach my kids what computing was about when I was their age. 

I already have a downloaded copy of the C64 programmer's reference guide, and I want to give this a shot. 

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×