You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Fujona

Battleship Help

10 comments in this topic

Members
13 posts
275 battles

hello, I have read other forums about battleships but they don't seem to have a good answer I can give a friend of mine who wants to play this, Out of the Battleship lines for USN IJN German USSR UK and France, which line should he go down if he wants to use BB, if you can give me some pro and cons to each nations best battleship it might help him out in decided on which nation to focus on so he wont make the same mistakes as me.

Just to help out he plans on doing random/pvp in the game 

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,238 posts
4,416 battles

USN: good all around, slow at beginning but top tier are very fast. Not great at anything except AA, but not really bad at anything either, except speed up to T7.

IJN: Sniper, great guns and accuracy, not good up close.

KMS. Brawler. Meh guns at range, dangerous up close. Great secondaries and armor. Hard to make work though because if you hang back you’re useless and if you rush unless you do it just right you just die.

French: Flankers. Faster shooting guns, faster ships, work best on a flank at medium range blapping things. Can work up close due to good secondaries and OK citadel armor, not optimal though.

RN:??. crapAP, stealthy, meh armor, great HE. Easiest to sit back and spam, piss off the other team and rack up huge damage. If you want to actually affect the battle though ammo choice is important, as is positioning. Also home of shipyard in a box heal.

Russian. Awesome guns and armor when angled. Show broadside and you get paddled. Very strong right now, especially Sinop and Kremlin. Weird damage control and meh concealment and speed.

I would avoid the Germans, British, and French as a beginner. They have a quirky playstyle that is a bit trickier to learn. Fun and solid, but different.

I’d also avoid the Russians. They have strengths, but are easy to get into bad situations. The odd DCP requires different damage control plans than any other ship so also something to confuse a beginner.

IJN and USN are the classic BBs. Personally I think the USN are more complete. IJN have better guns by a bit, but give up a lot for it. A Yamato is almost always going to lose a brawl. Montana isn’t optimal up close, but is at least useful. I’d advise USN to start. You will learn BB basics, nothing odd, couple of ways to play them. The T5, 6, and 7 are really slow, but still usable. NM and CO are good despite the lack of speed, NY is the turd of the line (every line has one). NC on up are fantastic.

If USN isn’t your thing, IJN is also a solid choice, but the playstyle is a bit more static. Yamato is worth playing through Izumo. A distant third for me would me the Russians, but the limited DCP is quite different than other ships.

My two cents as a BB main. If you want elaborations on something let me know and I’ll see what I can do. Hopefully some others will chime in as well.

Members
13 posts
275 battles

also on a side note when does the dockyard unlock, I cant remember when it unlocked for me because of the portarico ship even thing

[SYN]
Members
8,272 posts
14,353 battles

The USN and IJN were the first BB lines in the game and they both are good for beginners. They teach important things for new players while remaining simple to play, not relying on gimmicks like some of the newer lines.

I also think the German BBs are beginner friendly as their armor scheme is pretty forgiving.

Edit: KMS is German

Edited by Kapitan_Wuff

Members
13 posts
275 battles

the event going on atm for the tier x ship, when does the dockyard for that unlock, I cant remember when I unlocked it, just curious so I can inform my buddy :)

[UNHLY]
Wiki Editor
5,690 posts
15,559 battles

As a former BB main (and someone who still plays them a fair amount):

The USN BBs are solid ships all the way up the line with decent armor and reliable guns, but they're very slow until you get up to t8 (and when you're playing through the t6 and 7 it's really noticeable when pretty much every other ship in the battle is faster than you). Once you get to the t8 you finally start getting ships that have decent speed, and the armor changes slightly from the more conventional layout of the lower tiers to an all or nothing scheme that just protects the important spaces like the citadel. They're one of the oldest lines in the game and have been powercrept in a lot of areas by newer lines, but they're still decent (the line is basically a jack of all trades type line, so no matter what ship you go up against you have at least one or two areas where you're stronger than your opponent). Especially once you get up to the fast battleships, they turn into ships that really don't care if they're uptiered and can fill pretty much any role (mid range support, long range sniping, or close support and brawling, although that definitely requires more experience to do well in these ships) depending on what the battle needs at that particular moment. If your friend can get past the slow speeds, these are definitely a good training line since they come from an era of the game before everything had to have tons of unique gimmicks, so they will teach good habits like positioning and map awareness (especially with their slower speeds) and good aim that can be applied to any line. The shells are slower than other lines so you will have to lead more but because of the slower speed and higher arcs they group more consistently toward the center compared to others.

The IJN BBs are another old line, having been in the game since the beginning just like the USNs. They're also a decent line and a lot of people like them, but the line is less consistent from ship to ship than some others and has some ships that are generally considered 'you should skip this' ships (Kawachi is probably the weakest tech tree BB, and Izumo is still one of the most disliked high tier battleships). Unlike the USN line that favors mid range support but can be flexible when needed, the IJN line is pretty much a long range sniping line overall. They also tend to have good armor, but tier for tier it tends to be weaker in my opinion (especially with the citadels). The guns are also quite consistent, and lead to one of the best battleships in the game - Yamato with her very accurate guns and ability to overmatch 32mm (aka the bow and stern of almost every ship in the game), sometimes called lolpen by a few people on the forums since it doesn't care about angling. Besides the removed premium Musashi, Yamato is the only ship in the game with guns large enough to do that. Throughout the line, they tend to be weaker to aircraft, and many of them have gun layouts that are more suited to defending and kiting away from an enemy push. You get speed quite a bit quicker than the other lines (in fact, the t5 is the fastest t5 battleship in the game) but the speed drops off again as you get further up the tree (and Yamato is one of the slowest at her tier).

The Germans tend to have less consistent guns (although they were buffed slightly in the last patch), some of the best secondaries tier for tier in the game, and really good turtleback armor that gives you a lot more protection against incoming battleship caliber shells. At range that turtleback is a lot more vulnerable to citadels than other lines and up close can still be penned by enemy battleships, if you're close to the ship shooting at you you will almost never get citadeled. Especially at lower tiers they're a lot of fun to play and probably one of the most new player friendly battleship lines, but once you get to higher tiers they're more susceptible to HE spam and will get burned down quickly in the ranges they're most effective at. You get torpedoes on the t7 which is nice as an additional brawling weapon, and starting at t8 you get the good long range German hydro.

The UK line (in my opinion) is a line that tends to be in the middle to the bottom of the pack performance wise, and don't really bring a very interesting playstyle once you start to learn the game. You have great HE (tier for tier the highest fire chance of any BB) and only average AP for most of the line. King George V at t7 is in a tricky spot since her smaller guns mean she can't really overmatch any significant armor thresholds while at the same time her bow armor can be overmatched by pretty much every battleship she can see in game, and her HE performance is somewhat lacking. The t9 and 10 have a ridiculously effective heal (provided you play intelligently or the enemy doesn't play intelligently) that can almost print a new ship at the t10 (I think you can heal up to 2/3 of your ship on a single heal assuming ideal circumstances) and the t10 has great stealth and strong AP, but nothing about the line really stands out compared to the others except the (generally) good HE performance and fire chance until you get to Conquerer.

The French are generally going to be pretty fast, especially once the speed boost unlocks at t7 (ot t8? Can't recall offhand and not at my computer to confirm) and are definitely strongest as flankers because of their smaller guns. They have secondary guns that are definitely workable but the armor scheme of the high tier ships means you pretty much don't want to be in brawling range. They're a fun line to play, but expect the guns to be shotgunny and frustrating at times. At mid tiers their armor is good enough to push in and brawl, but once you get to t8 and up, you're completely covered in 32mm plating, which means almost every HE spamming cruiser in the game loves seeing a high tier French battleship since their shells can pen pretty much everything on your ship besides the main guns. Oh, and the main guns are very susceptible to getting knocked out or destroyed because they're so wide and (for the higher superfiring turrets) have a very tall barbette. If you get into a close quarters fight with a smart battleship player, expect to lose your guns. The t10 is a completely different beast compared to most of the line, since you get 431mm guns that are large enough to overmatch almost all cruiser armor in the game and tend to be quite accurate at any range (but again they're easily knocked out and you only have two guns, plus the angles are so bad you need to show a lot of side to use both turrets).

The Russians are extremely strong in good hands and the line of choice for the current 'X battleship line is OP' threads. They're super tanky bow in with very vulnerable citadels and a unique DCP (limited charges but fast cooldown) that in good hands makes them quite difficult to kill, and their guns are super accurate below 12km and more in line with other battleships past that point. Kremlin is (arguably) one of the most powerful battleships in the game when played by a good player, since her vulnerable citadel is much more protected compared to others in the line and her dispersion and penetration are near the top of the pack for t10 BBs out to her max range. In good hands they're strong, but the accuracy and DCP gimmicks and vulnerable citadels make it a line that's not as suited to newer players.

Out of all the lines, I'd probably recommend the USN line first, followed by the Germans and then the IJN. Yes the Germans are tankier up close but the USN is probably a better training line, and the IJN's static/long range sniping nature definitely hurts them a little in the 'new player friendly' department. However, once your friend gets some experience in those lines (say up to the t5 or 6 in each of them ideally) it's definitely a good idea to play the other lines a bit to see what playstyle they like more. 

[SVER]
Beta Testers
3,708 posts
8,768 battles
1 hour ago, Fujona said:

KMS? is that USSR? I seen KMS but not sure what it means,

Kriegsmarine, the German navy, well they don't call it that anymore for understandable reasons. 

[WOLF5]
Members
33,544 posts
28,332 battles
2 hours ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

The USN and IJN were the first BB lines in the game and they both are good for beginners. They teach important things for new players while remaining simple to play, not relying on gimmicks like some of the newer lines.

I also think the German BBs are beginner friendly as their armor scheme is pretty forgiving.

Edit: KMS is German

Personally, I wouldn't suggest the German BB Line for new players.  It teaches bad survival habits that will get you rekt in other Battleship and most especially Cruisers Lines when you want to try them out once done with Ze German BBs.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway