You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
JEFFREY_LEI

Which CV Line?

15 comments in this topic

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles

I decided to grind an additional CV line next while I grind the IJN cruisers and USB BB. I played the Langley before and did not enjoy it. I just feel like I am not causing damage in it. But maybe it's because I don't know how to play her. Which CV line would you recommend for a newcomer to CV gameplay? Thank you.

• Cool 1

Members
2,767 posts
93 battles

You have guts to ask here, where anti-CV sentiments run high.

Anyways, I'd say go for Langley or Houshou.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[WPORT]
Members
6,589 posts
11,600 battles

The Langley is a slow ship.  The early era planes are representative of aviation of the time.

The Japanese and British CV's have more "flavor", but all three get significantly better at Tier-6.  The long grind to get there is a p.i.t.a., though.

Invest in ship/plane modules and Captain's Skills to improve the planes survival and performance.
Accept that the monetary rewards for playing a CV in co-op are small.  Will need to supplement the income or venture into random battles for improved earning of credits & experience points.

Practice the basics and study the tutorials to improve your CV play.

Be polite and professional, and use your best judgement. 
Sometimes you'll be having to ignore the salty comments and rude attempts to squander your CV's resources.

Welcome to the CV life.  Good luck and have fun.  :-)

• Cool 1

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles

I heard the American line is better for beginners but the IJN line causes more damage.

Edited by JEFFREY_LEI

[WPORT]
Members
6,589 posts
11,600 battles

US and British CV's use HE-bombs.
IJN uses AP bombs on several of their ships.

The damage is more "different" than "more damage".

AP bombs pass through thin hulls of DD's and some cruisers and the overpenetration yields lower damage than the same hits from HE bombs.
But, when an AP bomb can citadel a BB or a Cruiser, the damage is significant.

So, it is more about using the correct tool for the job than one bomb type being better than the other.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,289 posts
12,973 battles

As far as the lines:

The American line has excellent utility. Good number of rockets per shot (and the choice for Tiny Tim's later on), ok torpedoes, and HE bombs that work on everything. I hold them as the average CV's

The Japanese are like using a scalpel, very sharp, but you need to know how to use them. Poor rockets, good torps that you never drop more than two at a time, and AP bombs for me seem to be very hot and cold. Aircraft are generally faster and more fragile. The CV's themselves, and torpedo bombers are also stealthier than everyone else.

The British are also more difficult to use, for different reasons, Good rockets, short ranged quick arming torps, and the level bombers are "different" for better or worse. The short range of the torps means you will fly through a lot of AA, but you're aircraft are "tougher" for what little that will mater. The level bombers bombs fall very slow, and are good mostly for starting fires and breaking things, don't expect a lot of damage with them. What makes them difficult to play is the slow speed of the aircraft, in many cases it negates the increased durability. British aircraft are the only aircraft that you can drop patrol fighters on top of them, and they can not boost out before the patrol fighters activate. Patrol fighters, catapult fighters and a CV's own fighters also do not care about durability, they will shoot any aircraft down one for one regardless of toughness. The slow speed of the aircraft also limits your striking options, which is also hurt by British CV's not being particularly fast or stealthy themselves.

This ignores the premium CV"s, which in some cases barely resemble the tech tree lines of the various nations.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,117 posts
8,574 battles

T4 CVs are not a good indication. The T8s are when the lines truly come into their own. That said, US are easy and great at murdering DDs, RN are medium difficulty and farm damage like no tomorrow, and IJN are hard for the same reason they are potent: AP bombs need to cit to do good damage.

[S-N-D]
Banned
3,327 posts
7,738 battles

Not Japanese. The AP dive bombers require a metric ton of experience to use correctly. You can't simply drop and be done with it as each type of ship requires different heights to penetrate and additionally they do nothing against DDs. So it's going to be between Americans and British and I think the British have the edge with carpet bombs. It's only a slight edge in the best case however has America has other perks.

Edited by _Caliph_

[ENDO]
Members
101 posts

I am an average-below average player. I have Audacious and Midway. I really enjoy lex and midway. Basically all three of your squadrons can be used against anything. Torps are meh until midway. Tiny Tim's Crush DDs and cruisers. I really cannot say I enjoy the RN CVs. I sold all my RN CVs spare Audacious, which is the most Okish of the line. It's attack planes can terrorize DDs with like 40 rockets.

Tiny Tim's are more accurate, Dive bombers are more accurate, and you get more torps with USN. The torps don't do as much damage, but with midway you get 6 of em. Which means you can put a lot of danger pylons through a smoke cloud. Also if you connect with most of em you can do some good damage.

The difference between RN and USN for me is this. With RN I can hit stuff, set fire all day. With USN I can CRUSH my target and still have the versatility. From what I've played of IJN you sacrifice versatility to CRUSH harder. Your bombers are more niche but your torps are better. If you can get good at torping DDs and AP bombing cruisers you are a monster. 

Edited by MBRicochet

[NDA]
Beta Testers
3,574 posts
7,714 battles

If you are new to CV I fully recommend the American CV with the British coming up behind them on the difficulty scale being somewhat difficult but not impossible to learn quickly, the Japanese CVs are new player unfriendly and I would not advise using them past T4 if you don't have any experience with CVs right now.

Unfortunately, the T4 CVs are not really a good representation of how the higher tier ships will play for multiple reasons, the damage you do at T4 is crap in general for new players who don't know how to abuse them. I'd recommend looking up a few youtube videos to see what high tier CVs are like. 

Edited by Sinboto

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

The US line is probably the most beginner friendly. The planes stats are well balanced overall and don't really have any major quirks. IJN has great torpedos and until about t8 that's about it. The AP bombs are inconsistent at best and the rockets are too few per attack to do much against anything more than DDs until then. Your planes are also the most fragile so if you screw up and eat a flak cloud you can quickly find yourself low on planes. The t8 and t10 are very solid all round though. Rockets are still low in pen but enough  Brit CVs have slow planes, that's enough to recommend against them for a newbie since screwing up a strike punishes you more than the others and it makes scouting harder.

Members
337 posts
1,113 battles

All of you seemed to be recommending the USN CV line. However, when I check WoWs Stats and Numbers Midway have the lowest winrate, so that kind of make me don't want to go for Midway. Should I still go for the U.S. line? Or should I go for the U.K. or Japanese line?

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,668 posts
7,060 battles
31 minutes ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

All of you seemed to be recommending the USN CV line. However, when I check WoWs Stats and Numbers Midway have the lowest winrate, so that kind of make me don't want to go for Midway. Should I still go for the U.S. line? Or should I go for the U.K. or Japanese line?

Midway got a series of nerf's over the 1st 3-4 months that kicked it in the can.....it's still very good..just increased the skill ceiling in it quite a bit.   it just got some small buffs that helped it a bit..  T10 CV play is markedly different than the meta from them in tiers below.  I'm not really a fan.  Also be aware - all IJN & USN CVs recently received  varying degrees of XP nerfs which is going to make long grinds in them....really long grinds.   I'm quite glad I got mine all done.      

[NUWES]
Members
3,240 posts
11,474 battles
19 hours ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

I decided to grind an additional CV line next while I grind the IJN cruisers and USB BB. I played the Langley before and did not enjoy it. I just feel like I am not causing damage in it. But maybe it's because I don't know how to play her. Which CV line would you recommend for a newcomer to CV gameplay? Thank you.

Don't judge the entire line by the T4s. That's like judging Yamato based on Kwachi. Langley is not fun to play but truthfully none of the T4s are. They get by because most of the ships in their tier range have abysmal AA. Langley just compounds T4 CV issues by being one of the slowest ships in the game.  Ranger, Lexington, and Midway are much better. 

1 hour ago, JEFFREY_LEI said:

Yes. USN rockets are very effective. The HE bombers are consistent. The TBs are not spectacular but they do the job. It is easily the best line to learn CV play on and the planes are on the tougher side to give beginners time to learn how to make drops. There are also no funny tricks like AP bomb locations or carpet bomb peculiarities to contend with while you learn the basics. 

Ultimately once you learn how to play CVs you'll have to determine which line really suits your playstyle, but to learn the USN is the most beginner friendly. Get the basics down on Langley and get to Ranger as soon as you think you get it. Ranger is where you get real practice before you hit consistently tough AA. 

Midway was ok before, and its torps were buffed recently to bring it up a bit. Don't worry about Midway right now.