You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Justice_Slayer

Thunderer/Georgia thoughts?

37 comments in this topic

[RADAR]
Members
10 posts
2,210 battles

Ok so as the title says, I’m getting a new ship, and I’d like it to be a Battleship.  I’ve got it narrowed down this far but honestly can’t decide.

What would you choose and why if you could To help me out guys, help me see the light for one being a better choice than the other!

At first I wanted the Georgia because I thought the idea of a 11.3km secondary build sounds fun!  As it’s now time to get it tho Thunderer is looking better and better, 2 more guns and possibly faster reload/range..!?!?

thanks in advance for your help! 

[PVE]
Members
1,696 posts
15,895 battles

Get Georgia, has a speed boost and pew pew secondaries compared to the situational def AA consumable on Thunderer.

[WOLF3]
Members
28,260 posts
24,670 battles

It's a little bit harder to decide between both but here's a fact between the two that isn't often mentioned.

Georgia is a Tier IX and gets the opportunity to beat up on POS Tier VII ships.

Thunderer is a magnificent BB in her own right, but do understand that as a Tier X, she faces nothing but the strongest ships in the game.

Georgia I think is the more rounded BB.  Fast, HIGHLY gimmicky.  Thunderer is for those that prize Great Gunnery and Great Shells above all else.

3 minutes ago, Rabbitt81 said:

Get Georgia, has a speed boost and pew pew secondaries compared to the situational def AA consumable on Thunderer.

Unfortunately for your argument, Thunderer isn't about Defensive AA.  Thunderer has a magnificent set of highly accurate, fast reloading 457mm guns x8 with not only great AP but RN BB quality Mega HE as an option.  Thunderer has the accuracy that Old WiP / Testing Ohio used to have, when she was deemed OP before WG swapped Thunderer and Ohio gunnery to what it is now.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[POP]
Members
4,667 posts
12,429 battles

Both are very strong ships with some large weaknesses (the raised, very exposed citadel) and great guns. Georgia has the gimmick speed boost and secondaries (although kind of like the French BBs she’s not as good a brawler as something like the Germans) and the USN improved heal with a fast cooldown, as well as being a t9 with all of the credit boost and snowflake benefits that come with t9 premiums. Thunderer is basically LM 457 Conq (with her improved rudder shift) that can take the concealment mod in slot 5 and more accurate guns at the expense of not having access to the patented floating dry dock/print new ship button, but has the economic aspects of t10 ‘premiums’ with no baked in credit boost.

Both can also work extremely well with a standard BB captain from the line, while Georgia can also share a captain with Mass if you want to go full secondary. Additionally, Georgia is a true premium and immune to targeted nerfs, while Thuderer isn’t protected from that and could theoretically be changed down the road if WG wants (however unlikely it is that they would change the t10s instead of pulling them like they do for premiums). In terms of a timeline, Georgia has been around longer so is more likely to be removed first of the two, but at the same time is cheaper so if you do buy one with the coupon and have to buy the other at full price it would make more sense to get Thunderer. 

• Cool 1

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
1,115 posts
4,173 battles

Not looking at the difference in ship performance, here is the difference in economy:  Georgia is a true premium ship, with a built-in credit modifier over/above the camo rating and is not likely to be directly nerfed...Thunderer is a "special" reward ship that does not have a hidden credit modifier and can be nerfed by WG because it was/will not be sold for real dollars, so they can avoid the demand for refunds.  Because of that, I went Georgia first and now I'm saving up for Thunderer, and maybe by the time I have enough coal for Thunderer, we'll know if they have any intended nerfs lined up for it.  I believe Thunderer was #2 on Flamu's recent Top Ten premium list, and Georgia was #6, but the ships in between those two were steel ships...Bourgonge, Stalingrad and Somers.

Doh...most of what I mentioned was ninja'd by MidnightPhoenix07!

• Cool 1

[--K--]
Members
1,351 posts
11,347 battles

Georgia will make more credits, being a true premium ship.  It’s ability to push a flank and surprise attack is unmatched, her guns are a bit more wonky, but her secondaries and speed make it a more forgiving ship to play.  
Thunderer is a true sniper, but if you over extend, prepare to burn in seconds.  It’s potential damage output is stupid high, but a more experienced player is needed to get the most out of the ship IMO.  

[DAS]
Members
1,013 posts
9,020 battles

I got the Thunderer but mostly because I used the 25% coupon and I saved the most by getting the tier X. I do want the Georgia at some point in the future, maybe next time we get a coupon.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
37,347 battles
48 minutes ago, Bonfor said:

Not looking at the difference in ship performance, here is the difference in economy:  Georgia is a true premium ship, with a built-in credit modifier over/above the camo rating and is not likely to be directly nerfed...Thunderer is a "special" reward ship that does not have a hidden credit modifier and can be nerfed by WG because it was/will not be sold for real dollars, so they can avoid the demand for refunds.  Because of that, I went Georgia first and now I'm saving up for Thunderer, and maybe by the time I have enough coal for Thunderer, we'll know if they have any intended nerfs lined up for it.  I believe Thunderer was #2 on Flamu's recent Top Ten premium list, and Georgia was #6, but the ships in between those two were steel ships...Bourgonge, Stalingrad and Somers.

Doh...most of what I mentioned was ninja'd by MidnightPhoenix07!

This ^^^^

I have both. I prefer Thunderer's more accurate guns, faster reload, and longer range. I can't hit anything with Georgia so I stopped playing it. 

• Cool 1

[FML]
Members
4,091 posts
15,976 battles
1 hour ago, Justice_Slayer said:

Ok so as the title says, I’m getting a new ship, and I’d like it to be a Battleship.  I’ve got it narrowed down this far but honestly can’t decide.

What would you choose and why if you could To help me out guys, help me see the light for one being a better choice than the other!

At first I wanted the Georgia because I thought the idea of a 11.3km secondary build sounds fun!  As it’s now time to get it tho Thunderer is looking better and better, 2 more guns and possibly faster reload/range..!?!?

From what I’ve seen, Thinderer is a bit more of a glass cannon - strong main guns, but not particularly survivable. So if you are a good and experienced battleship driver, it has more theoretical threat. 

Georgia is still a strong battleship but I hear plenty of people talk about how much fun she is to play. Edit: except @Taichunger immediately above :-p

Personally, if I was a new player I would opt for the Georgia as fun trumps theoretical capacity, but ultimately you’ll want both ships. 

Good luck!

Edited by UltimateNewbie

[TOAST]
[TOAST]
Members
1,444 posts
10,195 battles

I never understood the claim that Georgia guns are "wonky". With only 6 shells less-than spot on aim is more noticeable but with more attention to aim it's plenty accurate even at mid to long(er) ranges. It makes more sense to think of it as a super heavy cruiser that can do BB stuff in a pinch.  I don't have thunderer yet but as far as Georgia goes the only real downside to it is only having 6 main guns.

[_RNG_]
Supertester
3,176 posts
5,476 battles

Both are fantastic ships. Thunderer is a more well rounded boat with great 457s, and Georgia is a gimmicked up boat. 

If you want a BB with great guns and solid performance then Thunderer will serve you well. If you want a ship with a fantastic toolkit if gimmicks and is fun to play, Georgia may be the answer

[SSBN]
Members
165 posts
6,410 battles

Lot's of good info here but may want to consider a 3rd, Jean Bart. Have all three in my port and not unhappy with any one of them.

[TF-62]
Members
87 posts
5,793 battles
15 hours ago, Taichunger said:

This ^^^^

I have both. I prefer Thunderer's more accurate guns, faster reload, and longer range. I can't hit anything with Georgia so I stopped playing it. 

Get closer. The GA is more fun than any German ship, and those have me rolling in laughter. The secondaires at 11.3km will delete a full-health DD in less than 30 seconds without a thought from the main guns.

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
17 hours ago, Justice_Slayer said:

Georgia is for players who need a crutch because they can't aim, Thunderer is for players that can aim. Touting secondaries as a pro over gun accuracy/quality is tantamount to saying 'I can't aim/deal damage reliably so I need the Computer to do it for me.' Thunderer is so accurate it actually can be difficult for some players to use as if you miss aim you will miss the entire salvo.

• Boring 2

Members
12 posts
78 battles
15 hours ago, Vekta408 said:

I never understood the claim that Georgia guns are "wonky". With only 6 shells less-than spot on aim is more noticeable but with more attention to aim it's plenty accurate even at mid to long(er) ranges. It makes more sense to think of it as a super heavy cruiser that can do BB stuff in a pinch.  I don't have thunderer yet but as far as Georgia goes the only real downside to it is only having 6 main guns.

The claim usually comes from the  fact that when pushing bow on she has only 4 guns, and as you said, if your aim is not spot on, with the shells that tend to converge - either you miss completely or you land all 4 (especially on targets bow on it swing violently, like it's 4 missed or 3 citadels). At high tier there are very few BBs with the same amount of frontal guns, so even if the 6 font turrents are less accurate they tend to hide the fact with a greater number of shell output. (just as an example, the viability of high tier Italian cruisers increases exponentially by just adding a new turret every tier jump. form Amalfi to Venezia)

Also, for the economics, in my experience I'm earning more credits in the Georgia than in the Missouri, simply 'cuz it's easier to perform better with the combo of 457 and secondaries (the classical T9-T10 406 have been a bit powercrept by the overabundance of BBs with higher calibers)

[A-D-F]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
8,031 posts
18 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Georgia is for players who need a crutch because they can't aim, Thunderer is for players that can aim. Touting secondaries as a pro over gun accuracy/quality is tantamount to saying 'I can't aim/deal damage reliably so I need the Computer to do it for me.' Thunderer is so accurate it actually can be difficult for some players to use as if you miss aim you will miss the entire salvo.

It is also possible that one can aim well, but also enjoys secondary ships.  One isn't dependent on the other.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
21,705 posts
15,738 battles
16 hours ago, Bonfor said:

Georgia is a true premium ship, with a built-in credit modifier over/above the camo rating and is not likely to be directly nerfed...Thunderer is a "special" reward ship that does not have a hidden credit modifier

Thunderer's raw credit earning potential may be lower, but against this she gives her owners the ability to run a (modified) Tier 10 Conqueror hull at a profit in Co-op, or through repeated wipeout losses in Ranked or Clan Battles, without having to find 5K doubloons for a permacamo to prevent credit struggles.

For Randoms, Georgia might have the overall economic flexibility. But for Ranked battles often and Clan battles almost always, T10 is the only game in town. That's one of the things you have to figure into your purchase decision: WHAT AM I GOING TO USE THE SHIP FOR, THAT I CAN'T ALREADY DO?

• Cool 1

[5BS]
Banned
8,864 posts
1 hour ago, Burnsy said:

It is also possible that one can aim well, but also enjoys secondary ships.  One isn't dependent on the other.

Pretty much every 'secondary' focus ship in the game sacrifices gun accuracy (high tier French BB's, Massachusetts, Georgia) and/or gun count relative to peers (Georgia, Ohio, German BB's (baring GK)). They tend towards higher velocity, shotgun like guns, whereas say, Thunderer, Yamato/Musashi, Warspite, Vanguard, Amagi, ect, reward high precision aiming (and actually are more punishing to those that cannot aim as the groupings are so tight that miss aiming results in entire salvos missing). So no, strictly speaking, the player may not be unable to aim, but in so leaning on a secondary ship they are defacto NOT being the most accurate gunner due to equipment limitations. And an accurate primary battery will always beat out an inaccurate one w/ secondaries.

Members
1,374 posts

I have both.  My take is that Thunderer is played at a distance.  It melts quickly.  Georgia is a lot of fun in secondary build.

I like Georgia better than Thunderer.  

Don’t want Smolske ????!

[INTEL]
Members
3,304 posts
17,983 battles
18 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

It's a little bit harder to decide between both but here's a fact between the two that isn't often mentioned.

Georgia is a Tier IX and gets the opportunity to beat up on POS Tier VII ships.

Thunderer is a magnificent BB in her own right, but do understand that as a Tier X, she faces nothing but the strongest ships in the game.

This is more true with the last MM changes.  I'm seeing a lot more pure T10 battles and T9 top tier battles.

Both ships are pretty fun though.  I don't think OP will regret either choice.

Members
3,105 posts
12,308 battles
18 hours ago, Justice_Slayer said:

Truth be told, no matter which BB you decide to get, you will still want to get the other one.  So, eventually you will get both, and it’s only the question of time.

That said, after the recent changes T9 undoubtedly has better MM than T10, so you might want to take that into consideration.

[DVYJC]
Members
3,569 posts
8,240 battles
17 hours ago, UltimateNewbie said:

From what I’ve seen, Thinderer is a bit more of a glass cannon - strong main guns, but not particularly survivable. So if you are a good and experienced battleship driver, it has more theoretical threat.

Definitely true, but... Thunderer is still a battleship. A fragile one, but... a battleship. You can't brawl well with it, but she can still take hits. Just not as many as a Grosser Kurfurst or Kremlin

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn