Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Focke66

Cant boost the PR build

22 comments in this topic

Members
344 posts
17,019 battles

So I have enough Db. for a paid boost, but I cant boost. Left click just allows me to rotate the screen. Right click same.

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
19,997 posts
12,695 battles
9 minutes ago, Focke66 said:

So I have enough Db. for a paid boost, but I cant boost. Left click just allows me to rotate the screen. Right click same.

3 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Doubloon boosts could only be purchased until the 6th

This ^^^

1186817768_DubboostsuntilJan6th.thumb.JPG.d95da80df7aa1099d746f384866db80a.JPG

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,300 posts
9,645 battles
48 minutes ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Doubloon boosts could only be purchased until the 6th

Wow, even now I'm still being surprised by just how poorly this event was thought-out.

Bravo, WG, bravo.

• Cool 5

[A-D-F]
7,940 posts
Just now, vak_ said:

Wow, even now I'm still being surprised by just how poorly this event was thought-out.

Bravo, WG, bravo.

The end date was in the original notes for the event.  It had to have an end date at some point.

• Boring 3

[-K-]
7,300 posts
9,645 battles
9 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

The end date was in the original notes for the event.  It had to have an end date at some point.

The end date for doubloon boosts does not coincide with the end date for the event. Correct me if I am wrong.

The PR dockyard build process does not have an intuitive/easy way for players to plan ahead, and see where they'll be at what time, and whether they'll require doubloon boosts. Correct me if I am wrong.

This is a straight up awful design from the user experience perspective. The fact that there was a small blurb about this somewhere in the patch notes doesn't make it not awful.

• Cool 6

[A-D-F]
7,940 posts
3 minutes ago, vak_ said:

The PR dockyard build process does not have an intuitive/easy way for players to plan ahead, and see where they'll be at what time, and whether they'll doubloon boosts. Correct me if I am wrong.

It does, or it did.  If you mouse over the points per minute, it will tell you how far you will get when the event ends, at your current build rate.

I am not sure if it still does because mine finished building so it's gone.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,954 battles
4 minutes ago, vak_ said:

The fact that there was a small blurb about this somewhere in the patch notes doesn't make it less awful.

Reading had become so very, very OP the Devs just HAD to nerf it!

• Cool 1

[-K-]
7,300 posts
9,645 battles
7 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Reading had become so very, very OP the Devs just HAD to nerf it!

If the company wants to be technically correct and self-righteous -- sure, tell users that they should have read the patch note XYZ that came out a few weeks ago, and if they didn't it's their own damn fault.

But if that company wants to keep the user base happy and make more money -- then this isn't the right way to approach things. You cannot reasonably expect all (or even most) users to carefully read patch notes.

7 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

It does, or it did.  If you mouse over the points per minute, it will tell you how far you will get when the event ends, at your current build rate.

Exactly, current build rate. But what about a use case where you expect to get one or more boosters through directives, and then figuring out whether you will need to buy premium boosters to get PR before the event ends?

[A-D-F]
7,940 posts
2 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Exactly, current build rate. But what about a use case where you'll get one or more boosters through directives, and figuring out whether you will need to buy premium boosters?

Yeah they didn't program in a bunch of "if then" equations or case statments, for if you do this and/or then of you do that etc.  You do have to do a little math yourself.

• Boring 3

[-K-]
7,300 posts
9,645 battles
4 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Yeah they didn't program in a bunch of "if then" equations for if you do this and or then of you do that

Exactly my point. Taken together with the fact that they ended the premium boosters earlier than the event ends, and didn't do that great of a job communicating this fact -- this is a bad user experience decision.

I work in a software company, and I know a bad UX design when I see one.

[A-D-F]
7,940 posts
8 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Exactly my point. Taken together with the fact that they ended the premium boosters earlier than the event ends is what makes all of this a bad user experience design.

I work in a software company, and I know a bad UX decision when I see one. This is one of them.

Yeah the design wasn't the best, no doubt.

I think they ended the boosters before the event ends, because they wanted to push the more expensive "buy it now" option as a sales tactic.  Which from a business perspective, I understand.

I am not 100% sure that's the reason though.

It might have been that case that if you are not going to complete it in time by that date, the math is such that the boosters are not going to be enough to help you anyway.  So disabling them is a good thing for the player. Not sure.

[CK5]
Members
1,453 posts
15,462 battles

Someday, someone will write up the Puerto Rico event as a case study for an MBA class on "Great Failures in Customer Relations Management".  

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,111 battles

Not really sure why WeeGee decided to turn off dub boosters before the end of the event, guess they figure they can bleed more cash out of people that way. Force people who come up short to pay the exorbitant 'finish now' price.

• Cool 2

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
19,954 battles
3 hours ago, vak_ said:

If the company wants to be technically correct and self-righteous -- sure, tell users that they should have read the patch note XYZ that came out a few weeks ago, and if they didn't it's their own damn fault.

But if that company wants to keep the user base happy and make more money -- then this isn't the right way to approach things. You cannot reasonably expect all (or even most) users to carefully read patch notes.

So basically, yeah, they told everyone, but they should just do what we want anyways despite all that because it's what we want. Count on that happening.

[ARMOR]
Members
133 posts
13,529 battles
5 hours ago, Focke66 said:

The boosters intentionally expired on the 6th so no matter how close you got if attempting to do it for free, if you missed it you get shafted and have to pay 15k doubloons instead of maybe picking up a 6K booster to finish it.

[USA-N]
Members
785 posts
10,182 battles

Fascinating. I wondered why I was being offered the Puta for 15k doubloons, when 12k worth of boosters would have done the trick.

If i had purchased the doubloons, looking to "save money", I would have been fooled.

What a sly and scheming group of people we have here.

Edited by SidTheBlade

[-K-]
7,300 posts
9,645 battles
5 hours ago, Umikami said:

So basically, yeah, they told everyone, but they should just do what we want anyways despite all that because it's what we want. Count on that happening.

[shrugs] You're obviously not getting what I am saying, but that's okay. Weegee doesn't seem to understand good software design practices either.

[BROOK]
3,158 posts

Intentionally designed this way to people have to spend 25K to 15K in dubs when 14K to 6K dubs would of pushed you over the hump.

[DVYJC]
Members
3,559 posts
8,126 battles
18 hours ago, vak_ said:

Exactly my point. Taken together with the fact that they ended the premium boosters earlier than the event ends, and didn't do that great of a job communicating this fact -- this is a bad user experience decision.

I work in a software company, and I know a bad UX design when I see one.

The design of the event was actually quite good, it's just that the purpose of the event was not to be clear or user friendly, but to separate players from their cash, and WG viewed those as mutually exclusive. The automatic ship construction rate boosters were designed to encourage people to buy them early, as they get less valuable over time. However, the doubloon boosters became unavailable on January 6, and the reason for that was so that people who were successful at grinding but not quite successful enough would not be able to use doubloon boosters as buy-it-now options at 6,000; 8,000; or 10,000 doubloons but would be forced to use the 35,000 or 15,000 buy-it-now prices or lose out on the goal they'd already invested in.

Edited by RainbowFartingUnicorn

Sign in to follow this