Sign in to follow this  
neptunes_wrath

the greatest loss in rock music history...... IMHO the saddest day. Especially for you Canadians

13 comments in this topic

Members
2,735 posts
509 battles

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/neil-peart-obit-1.5422806

I have been a music fan all my life... I grew up in the 70's and listened to just about everything music had to offer... My Dad turned me on to Johnny Cash and WIlly Nelson and on my Moms side there was Elvis Elton John and the Beatles...
I was a HUGE fan of rock and roll...
Even Disco was in my Wheelhouse.. I grew up in Roller skates as well so it was a no brainer back then...

Then I heard Rush.....a few weeks into their first album
My life changed in many ways and I did not even know it yet...

I got my first drum set by their 3rd album and was destined to be the next Neil Peart... I wanted to be him...
I practiced and practiced and never really took lessons.. I just kept playing and playing...

Played in a few bands here and there with many more influences other than him, but still I knew no bigger Rush fan than myself in all the people I knew..
I knew EVERY lyric to every song and don't remember a day ever that I did not listen to at least ONE Rush song...
I saw hundreds of shows in 40 or so years and missed only ONE tour due to illness and work related travel...

Went through 3 drum sets in those years and never really became anything like I wanted to in terms of a pro drummer but I never stop playing...

Then I had my phone blow up a few hours ago from friends and family (I am not on facebook so I don't get the IN THE KNOW immediate info) about his Death on Jan 7th,,,,

I lost my Mom when I was 11 years old, and to this day I can say that this is the SECOND saddest I have ever been...(Although there was that time when I was very little and Morris the Cat died)lol

I have lived through many music icon deaths from Cliff Burton, Bon Scott to David Bowie and Tom Petty and I can say that I am more devastated today than I have been since I was 11 years old...
I started playing the drums because of him and will never forget the influence he had over my choice of instruments to use in my lifetime...

RIP "Professor" you influenced millions and will be sadly missed...

Edited by neptunes_wrath
  • Cool 4

[4HIM]
[4HIM]
Beta Testers
1,774 posts
12,301 battles

Only listened to a few Rush songs...not a fan at all, but its tough to see your musical icon passing on...sorry for your loss!

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,290 posts
6,534 battles

RIP Neil! Rush's live album stands tall in those halcyon days of inebriated youth. None finer!

• Cool 1

[TWE]
Beta Testers
82 posts
819 battles

Rush is my favorite band. I only got to see them in concert once in 2007 ( Snakes and Arrows tour). God's what a show. I standby to this day that he was the greatest drummer alive and may now be considered to be among the greatest that ever lived. Rest well Neil, be with your wife and child once again. 

• Cool 2

[TURDS]
Beta Testers
64 posts
16,759 battles

Yeah just got hit with the news tonight when I got to work, very sad. RIP NP

• Cool 2

Alpha Tester
6,129 posts
2,986 battles

I was honestly devastated when I heard this. The only death of a musician that's made me sadder was when Gord Downie passed, ironically from the same thing as what claimed Neil Peart.

• Cool 2

Members
690 posts
8,692 battles

I've always felt that Buddy Rich was the greatest drummer that ever walked the planet.  That is of course a matter of opinion.  With that in mind though, you don't ask just any drummer to sit in Buddy Rich's spot.  That's an honor that only goes to a chosen few and Neil was one of those few.  And that's not opinion.  No matter where you rank him, Neil was one of the greatest drummers of all time.  Lyrically, I would rank him also among the all time best along with folks like Bob Dylan, Bernie Taupin, Neil Young, Bruce Springsteen and Paul Simon.  He was a force of nature that I count myself lucky to have experienced.  I am not a religious person but if there is an afterlife then a new and powerful presence has taken it's place among the heavens tonight.

Safe Home Neil Peart, you will be missed.

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Members
487 posts
16,749 battles

Not only was he a great drummer, he was a great lyricist and a great individual.  The world is a lessor place with him.

Growing up, it all seems so one-sided
Opinions all provided
The future pre-decided
Detached and subdivided
In the mass-production zone

Nowhere is the dreamer
Or the misfit so alone

Subdivisions

In the high school halls
In the shopping malls
Conform or be cast out

Subdivisions

In the basement bars
In the backs of cars
Be cool or be cast out

• Cool 1

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this