Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

So how do you PRIMARILY use the smoke?

16 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
5,145 posts
15,364 battles

I generally see 2 ways main to use the Italian smoke on the CAs:

1) Med-Long range stealth gunnery (outside the smoke gun bloom).

2) Hide while escaping a bad situation. (Do not use your guns or you will be detected)

Just wondering how players were using their smoke most of the time. I tend to lean toward #1, which often means its on cooldown when situation #2 arises.

If there is a (common)  use I have missed, I'd love to hear it.

[O7]
Members
5,359 posts
11,645 battles

I don't see the point of the question. Both are good uses.

If you aren't good at survival, you'll use it for that.

If you are confident, you'll use it offensively.

Winning is what matters. Damage promotes winning and dying lowers your chances.

• Cool 1

[O7]
Members
2,007 posts
16,616 battles

Yeah I most often use it to get damage on people without having to worry about angling or dodging, but a third use you didn't mention is for a push. Many times I have stopped firing, popped smoke, and made a beeline towards  where I know or believe a DD to be, when the smoke ends I may pop out of it 5km from a DD and he has nowhere to go and needless to say, italians, especially Venezia, demolish DDs with SAP at those ranges. A fourth use, which I've only used twice, is protecting a teammate which is tough since the smoke comes with you, but I saved a stalin from CV strikes to survive a ranked game and saved a radar mino in ranked who was caught in the open and he went on to clutch us the game.

• Cool 3

[WORX]
Members
9,823 posts
17,846 battles

Depends on ship role and what crappy situation you manage to get your self into...

If I am sailing a DD, Smoke is used for

• Saving my fantail
    • From cv harassment,
    • A sneaky gun DD
    • Or from seeing 5 guns pointing at me on my PT indicator
  • Saving a BB who over extended from death
    • If we need the BB adv I better try to save him if I can.
  • Providing concealment behind to break the LOS
  • Just turning tail and gun it...

If I am in a cruiser and smoke is used...

• Mainly to break LOS from BBs
  • No island cover so smoke will do
  • Save my fantail from red cruiser fire.

If I still have consumables after the match is over, I messed it up some way some how.

I also try to be courteous and provide smoke when asked... Granted they're some restrictions to this... For example right at the start of the match, bad idea because it broadcast your position away...

Italian cruisers smoke its a double edge failure... It goes with you AND it doesn't last long.... So off the top of my head and with those characteristics , I can only see it in use for selfish applications...  

Edited by Navalpride33
  • Boring 1

[CVA16]
Members
5,145 posts
15,364 battles
1 hour ago, Pulicat said:

I don't see the point of the question. Both are good uses.

Agreed. But different people will tend to gravitate toward one of those 2 uses more often. They are selfish smokes, very low ability to shield an ally.

Kebobstuzov   mentioned an offensive one I hadn't thought of, to charge a target without firing to close the distance while hidden. Probably only works if the ship you are charging, or his buddies, don't notice this smoke screen rolling quickly closer.

[NDA]
Supertester
2,902 posts
5,808 battles

Repositioning.  Mostly to put the pressure on.  Sometimes you need to cross open water to get to the next piece of cover which will offer flanking shots or a more advantageous position on the enemy.  Well you're not a DD, you don't have the DD detection and if you try to do it normally all you'll be doing is moving into the open and giving broadside to the enemy force, which is not a good idea when it comes to longevity of your cruiser.  However, pop the smoke, cross the gap, get to cover before it expires or expires without enough time for them to shoot you.

Bonus points if you can co-ordinate with a friendly and suddenly the enemy has a SAP cruiser and a HE spammer or some BB suddenly appears in a spot that makes the enemy have to start falling back to better cover. 

[RLGN]
Members
13,816 posts
24,064 battles

Pretty good at using terrain to conceal/hide, so I mostly use it to break los in a bad situation, or as someone else mentioned, to make sure a turn will be safe.

Extremely rarely for smoke fire, and only once I can recall to try to save someone else.

[SALVO]
Members
24,261 posts
24,567 battles
22 hours ago, Navalpride33 said:

Depends on ship role and what crappy situation you manage to get your self into...

If I am sailing a DD, Smoke is used for

• Saving my fantail
    • From cv harassment,
    • A sneaky gun DD
    • Or from seeing 5 guns pointing at me on my PT indicator
  • Saving a BB who over extended from death
    • If we need the BB adv I better try to save him if I can.
  • Providing concealment behind to break the LOS
  • Just turning tail and gun it...

If I am in a cruiser and smoke is used...

• Mainly to break LOS from BBs
  • No island cover so smoke will do
  • Save my fantail from red cruiser fire.

If I still have consumables after the match is over, I messed it up some way some how.

I also try to be courteous and provide smoke when asked... Granted they're some restrictions to this... For example right at the start of the match, bad idea because it broadcast your position away...

Italian cruisers smoke its a double edge failure... It goes with you AND it doesn't last long.... So off the top of my head and with those characteristics , I can only see it in use for selfish applications...  

Pride, since this is the Italian cruiser sub-forum, I think we can safely assume that the question was how do you primarily use smoke with your Italian cruisers.

[WORX]
Members
9,823 posts
17,846 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

, since this is the Italian cruiser sub-forum, I think we can safely assume that the question was how do you primarily use smoke with your Italian cruisers.

The question was answer in the very last two line of the post you referenced...

[SALVO]
Members
24,261 posts
24,567 battles
1 minute ago, Navalpride33 said:

The question was answer in the very last two line of the post you referenced...

The question was in the thread title, first and foremost.

[SALVO]
Members
24,261 posts
24,567 battles
23 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

I generally see 2 ways main to use the Italian smoke on the CAs:

1) Med-Long range stealth gunnery (outside the smoke gun bloom).

2) Hide while escaping a bad situation. (Do not use your guns or you will be detected)

Just wondering how players were using their smoke most of the time. I tend to lean toward #1, which often means its on cooldown when situation #2 arises.

If there is a (common)  use I have missed, I'd love to hear it.

Primarily, I use Italian smoke to turn out and open the range.  But I can fire my guns because primarily I won't be in range where I'll be spotted if I do fire them, though of course there's always the chance that some unspotted enemy DD might spot me if I do fire, so I have to be wary of that possibility.

One has to be open to some outside the box thinking with Italian smoke.  Just recently, I was in my Zara and closing on an enemy Queen Elizabeth, to try to finish it off, when it occurred to me that I had my smoke available, so I used it.  And I was able to approach the QE unspotted and indeed did finish it off without taking any hits.  Anyways, this is one way that you can use Italian smoke, i.e. as a way to charge an enemy without them being able to see you and then nail them with torps or guns.  Just be careful of enemies that have torps because they could blind fire ahead of you and still hit you.

[WORX]
Members
9,823 posts
17,846 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

The question was in the thread title, first and foremost. 

It was still answered in the last 2 sentences of the post you referenced...

Granted its a LONG answer but none the less it was answered.

Members
601 posts
5,469 battles

I use it primarily to disengage and create distance.  It is a nice get out of jail free card if I mess up and overextend, or if the enemy BBs start looking at me funny.  I have also used it to go dark and push in undetected, although the smoke is a giveaway that something is coming.  Once in a while I will use it to farm a little damage at range without fear of return fire.  Italian smoke is pretty flexible, you just have to be aware of its limitations.

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,451 posts
5,326 battles

I ONLY use smoke when I need to run away or I hit an island....period. 

Sign in to follow this