You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
thatbruinskid

Which T8 Premium cruiser should I get??

14 comments in this topic

[SCREW]
Members
9 posts
6,540 battles

Been debating between Prinz Eugen and Atago. No idea which to go with, I really enjoy German ships (especially battleships) but the Hipper isn't my favorite, haven't played Japanese cruisers but the artillery and torpedo armaments of the Atago seem very fun at first glance. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks!

[USCG]
Members
764 posts
23,590 battles

I picked up the Bayard in a Santa crate this year. Love it! Fast, great guns, torps, etc. If you like the French DD line, you’ll love the Bayard. 

[SCREW]
Members
9 posts
6,540 battles
15 minutes ago, cgbosn4 said:

I picked up the Bayard in a Santa crate this year. Love it! Fast, great guns, torps, etc. If you like the French DD line, you’ll love the Bayard. 

Well only french ship I've played is Jean Bart. I'm not as much a fan of the light cruisers, I like to be able to be a bit tanky.

[SYN]
Members
8,256 posts
14,118 battles

Both are very good ships. Atago is arguably easier to play. I prefer Eugen but if you don't like Hipper then you might not like Eugen, basically the same ship but with a heal.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,724 posts
11,232 battles

Prinz Eugen is a beast. The repair party consumable allows her to leverage one of the biggest strengths of the Admiral Hipper-class, the strong armor profile, and play much more aggressively. When played correctly, she is by far the tankiest cruiser at tier 8. It sounds like you’ve worked your way up most of the German line, and thus are familiar with the play style. Prinz Eugen players like a mini Hindenburg - consistent HE with 50mm of pen, very strong AP, and lots of short range torpedoes.

On the other hand, by your own admission you haven’t played Japanese cruisers. You get good HE with destroyer dispersion on the 203mm guns, powerful long range torpedoes, and good concealment. Japanes cruisers tend to have vulnerable citadels that really punish showing broadside, though, combined with sluggish turret traverse and poor AA. Atago is a very good ship, but I would recommend playing the IJN cruiser line until at least Aoba at tier 6 to get a feel for how the line plays before purchasing a tier 8 premium.

Edited by Nevermore135
  • Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,815 posts
14,329 battles

After Furutaka, the IJN cruisers have disappointing torpedo-launching arcs, in my opinion.  
The arc begins from directly port/starboard and sweeps towards the stern with a gap in between the arcs (so you don't launch a torpedo inside your own hull).

If one were to spend money on a premium cruiser, I would expect that cruiser could heal/repair damage with a consumable.
Otherwise, spend money elsewhere.

But, I'm not always known for making wise decisions.  :-D

[RBMKI]
Members
376 posts
6,252 battles

The Atago is very good in randoms, and even did well in 1vs1 ranked. It seems to take some skill to do well in (I don't play it)?

The Prinz Eugen seems a bit harder to play well in randoms, but literally ate the Atagoes (and almost everything else) for lunch in 1vs1.

EDIT: The Prinz Eugen excels up close in Co-Op, to the extent of almost being unfair. Don't even wait for your enemies to show up, just charge them at 3-5km while they are focusing on other teammates and release the krakens, lol.

Edited by MudRaker227
  • Cool 2

[WOLFC]
Members
2,724 posts
11,232 battles
8 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

After Furutaka, the IJN cruisers have disappointing torpedo-launching arcs, in my opinion.  
The arc begins from directly port/starboard and sweeps towards the stern with a gap in between the arcs (so you don't launch a torpedo inside your own hull).

If one were to spend money on a premium cruiser, I would expect that cruiser could heal/repair damage with a consumable.
Otherwise, spend money elsewhere.

But, I'm not always known for making wise decisions.  :-D

Atago actually bucks this trend by having 2 torpedo launchers on each side, one each with a front- and rearward firing arc. However, each firing arc ends directly port or starboard (the arcs don’t overlap), so you have to resist the temptation to show too much broadside to get the other launcher into play.

And one of the features that makes both Atago and Prinz Eugen so popular is that they both possess Repair Party at tier 8.

[USCG]
Members
764 posts
23,590 battles
19 minutes ago, thatbruinskid said:

Well only french ship I've played is Jean Bart. I'm not as much a fan of the light cruisers, I like to be able to be a bit tanky.

Well, then I’d go with the Prinz over the Atago. Atago is fun but the Prinz can take more of a beating. Good luck. 

[SCREW]
Members
9 posts
6,540 battles
3 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Prinz Eugen is a beast. The repair party consumable allows her to leverage one of the biggest strengths of the Admiral Hipper-class, the strong armor profile, and play much more aggressively. When played correctly, she is by far the tankiest cruiser at tier 8. It sounds like you’ve worked your way up most of the German line, and thus are familiar with the play style. Prinz Eugen players like a mini Hindenburg - consistent HE with 50mm of pen, very strong AP, and lots of short range torpedoes.

On the other hand, by your own admission you haven’t played Japanese cruisers. You get good HE with destroyer dispersion on the 203mm guns, powerful long range torpedoes, and good concealment. Japanes cruisers tend to have vulnerable citadels that really punish showing broadside, though, combined with sluggish turret traverse and poor AA. Atago is a very good ship, but I would recommend playing the IJN cruiser line until at least Aoba at tier 6 to get a feel for how the line plays before purchasing a tier 8 premium.

Thank you! Looks like I'm leaning towards going with the Prinz, seems like it'll fit my playstyle more. Maybe I'll play the IJN cruisers a bit and get Atago in the future. Thanks everyone for all the tips!

Edited by thatbruinskid

[TSF_1]
Members
3,301 posts
7,816 battles

Bayard got great reviews from meta-heavy players: speed, HE, and MBRB. I'd pick that, but the other two are very solid. Atago is an old ship, but stays relevant, and PE is a workhorse.

[WPORT]
Members
9,815 posts
14,329 battles
21 hours ago, Nevermore135 said:

Atago actually bucks this trend by having 2 torpedo launchers on each side, one each with a front- and rearward firing arc. However, each firing arc ends directly port or starboard (the arcs don’t overlap), so you have to resist the temptation to show too much broadside to get the other launcher into play.

And one of the features that makes both Atago and Prinz Eugen so popular is that they both possess Repair Party at tier 8.

Good to know.  Thanks.  :-)

[BIER]
Members
463 posts
7,417 battles

I would caution for the PE:   It had AWFUL DPM.  And the armor isn't sufficient for up-tier play - you'll get overmatched by 16" guns, which start at T7, and are the large majority of guns at T9+.  I'd estimate that, from T6 to T10, about 40% of all BB guns you see will overmatch your bow and stern in the PE, and that rises to 80% when you're playing T8+.

And the gun. Oh, the guns.  Terrible HE damage (even when accounting for the good pen), due to lack of guns and bottom barrel ROF. The AP is strong, but has mediocre penetration and no special bounce advantage. It's VERY situational. 

If you've played the Hipper a lot, it's an eminently reasonable ship.  I'd not purchase it until you've played Hipper awhile and are used to that playstyle, because PE isn't really much different. 

It does NOT play like a Hindy. It simply doesn't have the DPM or even Alpha Strike ability, and cannot tank most same-or-better tier BB AP.

Members
859 posts
4,679 battles

IJN Cruisers are boring to me I'd pick Eugen.

That said, I personally believe the Cornstarch as a heavy/battlecruiser (with in-game BB mechanics) does a better job in the same role as Eugen even though it's a tier below.

Edited by macktkau2