Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
fredthebadger

Ok, mods, you could use a little sense with this one.

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
3 posts
2 battles

So I posted earlier about a blog site claiming to be a legitimate wargaming giveaway that asked you to fill out some surveys/complete some offers to get a World of Warships beta key.

I was not promoting it, and was in fact complaining about it.  However the moderators deleted the url I gave for the site, gave me a Warning for "Linking to illegal activities or malicious programs", and locked the thread.  It wasn't even an active link, just the URL.

Would you agree that they should have said something along the lines of "This site is not affiliated with Wargaming and is a scam"?

Seeing as how the site seemed relatively legitimate and the post at least claims to have been around since 2013 it would have been nice to have the mod actually say something about it before giving me a warning and locking the thread without comment.  Especially since it was in the first few pages of google results for beta keys.

[-TDR-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
238 posts
1,918 battles

The warning albeit a bit silly, it was still against the forum rules. You should have sent a ticket to support about it (even though there is nothing they can really do about it)

Alpha Tester
542 posts
448 battles

Well, it was still a link to a harmful site...

Regardless of context, it potentially generates traffic as curious people go there.

Beta Testers
1,062 posts
1,239 battles

If your first ever post to the forums contains a link to a banned site, you're probably going to have a difficult time making a convincing argument for benefit of the doubt.

Unfortunately the internet is the haven of social engineering tricks, and "please ban this link [link]" is used often enough as a way around forum regulations that posting in that manner is a violation of the rules as well.

A report will send a message privately to moderators, and/or a support ticket to someone in the team  who can handle the issue.

Beta Testers
797 posts
85 battles

You can get in trouble for discussing actions taken by staff. Take this down now.

[CRNGE]
Banned
3,786 posts
3,406 battles

You can get in trouble for discussing actions taken by staff. Take this down now.

I have never understood this rule.

Alpha Tester
4,453 posts
535 battles

I have never understood this rule.

Think of it as being like the old adage, "Praise in public, chastise in private".

First, it is a matter of civility and respect.  The mods/devs/other red names are in a position of authority in regards to the forum and game, so you show some respect there.

Second, they are people too, basic respect should be given to other people as a matter of courtesy.

Third, it is a matter of rules, rule interpretations, justification/excuse, and associated penalties if any, not a matter of public opinion.

Those are three pretty good reasons to take disputing the matter to a private channel, such as email, PM, or if there is one the official appeal process in my opinion.  It's about respect for another person, their job/duties, and the rules of the forum.

Beta Testers
3 posts
2 battles

I made this thread in the hope that the mods would actually say something along the lines of "This site that looks legitimate and contains our logo is not associated with us."

It's not like I wanted to get the site banned or anything, but when I made the first thread I thought it was a legitimate thing wargaming was doing and wanted to know why it was messed up.

Sign in to follow this