Sinboto

Nelson's big squishy front.

10 comments in this topic

[NDA]
Supertester
3,501 posts
7,329 battles

Have a returning friend of mine pick up the nelson recently, I have the ship myself and have a bit of a love-hate relationship with her. Sometimes she showers me with fires and citadels sometimes she whiffs shots at sub 10km. 

We talked for a bit about the pros and cons of the nelson as we took them out for a spin and we kinda unanimously agreed that her giant squishy bow armour is pretty much the thing we both dislike about her since it kinda kills any close-range gameplay if the enemy happens to have big guns on their side and we both love brawling. Kinda glad they left out the torpedo tubes on her because it would just give you another reason to get close, besides the kinda ok-ish (?) secondary guns, hey what you gonna do right? 

Just a late-night observation now that I'm kinda winding down for the night and I'm on my sixth glass of (unnamed beverage). 

• Boring 1

Members
3,473 posts
8,653 battles

That squishy bow was definitely a lot of fun to toy with in the t7 sprint seasons where Nelson is always popular - it sits bow in to my team, half of my team just shoots HE at it so it can abuse that zombie heal, meanwhile I load AP up in Gneisenau, sail up into its face while tanking its AP, citadel it through the nose, and then follow up with some fish to the side. Mmm, tasty nose citadels.

Edited by MidnightPhoenix07

[KVLT]
[KVLT]
Members
2,307 posts
7,653 battles

the entire boat is an XP pinata so... 

[KVLT]
[KVLT]
Members
2,307 posts
7,653 battles
1 hour ago, Sinboto said:

sixth glass of (unnamed beverage). 

better be water. how else you gonna keep that boat afloat LOL

• Funny 3

Members
3,473 posts
8,653 battles
32 minutes ago, Zhoyzu said:

better be water. how else you gonna keep that boat afloat LOL

Water? What is this nonsense?! This is the Nelson we're talking about, a powerful British battleship. If that isn't tea you're drinking, we're throwing you overboard you rebellious colonist.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 5

[KAPPA]
Members
2,582 posts
7,328 battles

If you think Nelson is squishy, I suggest never trying Ashitaka. Ashitaka can have her deck and citadel deck overmatched and has battlecruiser levels of squish.

Try to attack from long range? You get citadeled! Try to attack from close range so as to avoid plunging fire? TOO BAD! MORE CITADEL!

At least Nelson is a master of reversing offensively. Easily my favorite tactic in her. :Smile_teethhappy: You get close enough to draw HE, then you reverse and farm dreadnoughts and fireproofs all while puting the smackdown on the spammers and BBs alike. Even ships that overmatch you, you just need to keep your distance.

That said, RN BBs mostly suck at brawling in general due to the same thing that makes their AP so strong in the first place. The shells fuse so fast that they struggle to cit BBs. Conversely, they excel at citting cruisers and penning upper belts on BBs for chunky damage. 

2 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Water? What is this nonsense?! This is the Nelson we're talking about, a powerful British battleship. If that isn't tea you're drinking, we're throwing you overboard you rebellious colonist.

Thrown overboard? Isn't that what tea is for? :Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by Shoggoth_pinup
  • Funny 3

[MEOW]
[MEOW]
Members
233 posts
3,901 battles
3 hours ago, Zhoyzu said:

the entire boat is an XP pinata so... 

Fun for both sides

2 fires on Nelson? Yeah go ahead and keep burning, one button press and all my HP returns! And free damage for the other team, so it's win win

[RKLES]
Members
11,295 posts
12,715 battles
6 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

That squishy bow was definitely a lot of fun to toy with in the t7 sprint seasons where Nelson is always popular - it sits bow in to my team, half of my team just shoots HE at it so it can abuse that zombie heal, meanwhile I load AP up in Gneisenau, sail up into its face while tanking its AP, citadel it through the nose, and then follow up with some fish to the side. Mmm, tasty nose citadels.

Despite the troubles a Nelson player can get into, I do have to point out that Nelson is by no means weak and not to be underestimated. Is Nelson a ship that you can pay dearly on if you have made serious mistakes in, yes. But if you are at least a decent player that plays the ship correctly then it’s a very good ship.

• Cool 1

[-N-]
Members
223 posts
13,906 battles
4 hours ago, Shoggoth_pinup said:

That said, RN BBs mostly suck at brawling in general due to the same thing that makes their AP so strong in the first place. The shells fuse so fast that they struggle to cit BBs. Conversely, they excel at citting cruisers and penning upper belts on BBs for chunky damage. 

That's not wrong, but in my opinion it's not the biggest reason. After T6 British BBs simply don't have enough secondaries to make it worthwhile. From King George V and Duke of York to Conqueror and Thunderer they are stuck with 8 133 mm guns with a paltry range, reload and fire chance, and although these can be improved with upgrades and captain skills, there are just so many better options that it's not worth it. 
(Conversely, one of the best brawlers at her tier is Warspite. She has a LOT of secondaries in two different calibers, and they both reload fast and have good stock range. But more importantly they all face and fire forward, so in a brawl she doesn't have to show much side at all while hammering the enemy with the full weight of her secondaries, all the while pounding them with her accurate 15 inch guns. I've been able to fight even T8s like Amagi, Vlad and Massachussetts in Warspite)

5 hours ago, MidnightPhoenix07 said:

Screenshot (1384).png

[KAPPA]
Members
2,582 posts
7,328 battles
4 hours ago, Nine_Lives_ said:

That's not wrong, but in my opinion it's not the biggest reason. After T6 British BBs simply don't have enough secondaries to make it worthwhile. From King George V and Duke of York to Conqueror and Thunderer they are stuck with 8 133 mm guns with a paltry range, reload and fire chance, and although these can be improved with upgrades and captain skills, there are just so many better options that it's not worth it. 
(Conversely, one of the best brawlers at her tier is Warspite. She has a LOT of secondaries in two different calibers, and they both reload fast and have good stock range. But more importantly they all face and fire forward, so in a brawl she doesn't have to show much side at all while hammering the enemy with the full weight of her secondaries, all the while pounding them with her accurate 15 inch guns. I've been able to fight even T8s like Amagi, Vlad and Massachussetts in Warspite)

Honestly, I only really factor secondaries into my playstyle if they are long range. My goal in a brawl is to one-shot the other BB one way or another, so unless I'm against a KM BB, odds are that it won't matter to me that much. Which, to be fair, is a line of BBs it's wise to avoid brawling with.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.