You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
33nfidel

How do you deploy your fighters specifically?

4 comments in this topic

[STW-N]
Beta Testers
1,120 posts
13,243 battles

I get the button presses, but I'm wondering how you use the fighter strategically..?

Got a couple of CVs from lootboxes so I wouldn't mind learning how to use them...

<o

Infy

[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,022 posts
17,121 battles

To keep a friendly alive or keep enemy ship spotted.

• Cool 1

[-TXT-]
Members
309 posts
5,259 battles
1 hour ago, 33nfidel said:

I get the button presses, but I'm wondering how you use the fighter strategically..?

Got a couple of CVs from lootboxes so I wouldn't mind learning how to use them...

<o

Infy

1) Spotting for the Team:  In a low-DD game?  Fighters that are dropped close to enemy ships, but outside of AA range can give a good minute of spotting on an unwatched flank.

2) Spotting a DD:  If a DD keeps their AA off, they can be very hard to attack.  For those torp-boats with super low aerial detection, you will often over-fly them before you can actually shoot.  Dropping Fighters keeps them lit while you circle for attack turns on rocket planes.

3) Patrolling Smoke:  Found a DD and it smoked up?  Pop Fighters over the smoke if it's isolated to watch if they break cover once you head elsewhere.

4) Warding a Vulnerable Target:  Solo targets are CV food.  Whether it's a solo AA cruiser or a solo DD with no AA to speak of.  DO NOT WASTE YOUR LIFE FLYING TO THE ENDS OF THE EARTH TO SAVE SOLO TARGETS.  All your planes do is make the CV attack something else for 1 minute.  The wasted time can be MISERABLE.  However, if the target being harassed is along your flight path, by all means drop some friendly planes overhead to keep them safe while they reposition.

5) Cap Contest:  DD's having a face-off in a cap?  Make sure your Fighters cover your DD's area, but don't stray too close to the enemy DD.  DD's have poor AA, but Fighters have very low health (200-300hp per plane only) and can quickly be burned down even if the enemy DD is just killing time in smoke.

Those are the big uses, and the importance of them is roughly in that order.  You do damage, sure, but your job is ultimately a support role.  You damage areas to allow your team to win flanks and positions.  You harass enemies to slow pushes and allow you team time to reposition.  You spot wide flanks to allow your team to look at the minimap and make informed choices as opposed to "B/C strat.  gogo" in the chat box.

• Cool 2

[STW-N]
Beta Testers
1,120 posts
13,243 battles

Thanks posters.

Great post @Ahskance, really appreciated and the devil is in the detail!
Still messing around in co-op for a while and the logic you presented here will be very helpful advice me thinks...

When in DD I try to play the "team game" in terms of vision, distraction and covering. Your point about warding is very valid in the DD game too, sometimes it's a waste and timing is everything...

Have been watching the Scottish CV driver farrazelleth(? )on Youtube a little too. However, my fingers are fat, old and used to handling rope, wire and chain so maybe I'm not quite "nimble" enough for CV multitasking. :cap_old: