You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
P51pilot122

Roma really needs some love

Does Roma need a buff?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think the Roma should get a buff?

• Yes
    • No
    • Doesn't matter to me

8 comments in this topic

[DJC]
Members
14 posts
2,574 battles

Yup, it's another one of those threads, but don't deny it, Roma seriously needs some help.

I've tried to make her work since she was released, sure she's tanky, sure she's got great concealment, and sure she is agile; but all of this is voided due to her guns. Roma relies on her main guns to do damage, the secondaries are near useless and the AA is not impressive, but the main guns can't hit a damn thing to save their life. I recently had a derpy co-op game where I got into a 3 km knife fight with an Amagi. Each of the 5 salvos I fired in this duel; 3 of 9 shells hit and there would be two pens and one overpen. Roma can't even win a knife fight with an AMAGI, that's quite sad to be honest. I also had a broadside Cleveland and Charles Martel and to literally no one's surprise, Roma couldn't hit anything but the water and super structure.

Honestly, I see no justification in this, none of her strengths matter at all if the guns can't hit a damn thing. If they won't buff her now, at least buff her when the Italian BB line comes out. This ship has been gathering rust in my port for a good reason, she's just frustrating, not fun and certainly not worth $50.

I've regretted my purchase of Roma since day one, and I'm just shocked that she has gone this long with not a single mention of a buff or tweak. Need I also mention Wargaming has her advertised in the Armada episode and Premium Shop as "boasting good ballistics" this may just be some of the biggest false advertising I have ever seen and one of the biggest jokes I've seen, unless the "good ballistics" is meant to apply to the arcs and shell velocity which are good but the dispersion is about a country mile from average.

Truthfully, I complain about Roma to vent my anger towards her, deep down I doubt she will ever be buffed, and will forever be mediocre but I'd like to put it to a vote here. Hopefully the Littorio, once the BB line comes out, will have better performance than her subpar sister.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,172 posts
13,352 battles

She does well but she is not overpowered like some other ships in her tier.

[DJC]
Members
14 posts
2,574 battles

She doesn't need to be over powered, she just needs to be better. Sure, you can get good games with her, but the damage numbers rely on whether or not the guns will behave. Still needs more consistency whether people do well in her or not. She is no where near over powered, hell I can't even call her good, just average if even that.

Still doesn't excuse the fact that she struggled in a 3km knife fight with an Amagi on my end. Wish I had the replay, but I was just in shock. Any other BB in my port would have sent the Amagi to the shadow realm but Roma had more interest in sending 15 inch shells into the water and torpedo protection.

At first, I wanted to look on the bright side and praise her durability, and yeah that is fun and all, but as soon as you pull the trigger on these guns, all that fun goes away when you realize you rely on pure luck to do damage, if that as the guns may not behave the whole match. All I ask for is her old sigma anyway which was 1.9, you'd be surprised what such a small difference makes and when she was being tested with this number, she looked fun as all hell with her own weaknesses to compensate, AKA her exposed citadel, terrible AA and secondaries, and vulnerable main turrets that get knocked out easily.

Anyway, nice game in the Roma, it's rare to see that. It's strange how she can go from missing the target 6km away to nuking a cruiser 15km away. It truly just baffles me how she is either the most inaccurate thing I've ever seen to freaking laser rifles in one in 20 salvos.

Members
499 posts
4,979 battles

I've said since she was released that Roma's dispersion is bugged, I just wish I could prove it.  I honestly feel like her dispersion is the full 240-ish meters even at point blank range instead of scaling as it should.  But yes, I'd like to see a bit more consistency in the guns.  Maybe a 0.1 - 0.15 buff to Sigma.  She doesn't need much.  The trouble is, if you looks at Roma's stats she is still performing quite well which is likely to dissuade WG from even considering a buff of any kind.  Too bad she didn't benefit from the recent change to German dispersion, since Roma shares it.

[DJC]
Members
14 posts
2,574 battles

The German BBs are great after their dispersion change. I loved my Scharnhorst, Tirpitz, and Bismarck before but now I adore them, as you can definitely see the difference. If Roma went to US/RN dispersion patterns and away from the crappy EU pattern, I feel as if she would be fine but her dispersion still does seem bugged at times. Like you said, it feels as if it doesn't scale over distance. I had mentioned a while back that a buff would be unlikely due to people performing quite well in her.

I guess spreadsheets is saying the ship is fine :Smile_sceptic:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Supertester
24,172 posts
13,352 battles
On 1/3/2020 at 1:59 PM, P51pilot122 said:

She doesn't need to be over powered, she just needs to be better. Sure, you can get good games with her, but the damage numbers rely on whether or not the guns will behave. Still needs more consistency whether people do well in her or not. She is no where near over powered, hell I can't even call her good, just average if even that.

Still doesn't excuse the fact that she struggled in a 3km knife fight with an Amagi on my end. Wish I had the replay, but I was just in shock. Any other BB in my port would have sent the Amagi to the shadow realm but Roma had more interest in sending 15 inch shells into the water and torpedo protection.

At first, I wanted to look on the bright side and praise her durability, and yeah that is fun and all, but as soon as you pull the trigger on these guns, all that fun goes away when you realize you rely on pure luck to do damage, if that as the guns may not behave the whole match. All I ask for is her old sigma anyway which was 1.9, you'd be surprised what such a small difference makes and when she was being tested with this number, she looked fun as all hell with her own weaknesses to compensate, AKA her exposed citadel, terrible AA and secondaries, and vulnerable main turrets that get knocked out easily.

Anyway, nice game in the Roma, it's rare to see that. It's strange how she can go from missing the target 6km away to nuking a cruiser 15km away. It truly just baffles me how she is either the most inaccurate thing I've ever seen to freaking laser rifles in one in 20 salvos.

I can see a dispersion or sigma buff because the guns are a bit derpy.

[UN1]
Members
832 posts
2,930 battles
On 1/3/2020 at 12:42 AM, P51pilot122 said:

Yup, it's another one of those threads, but don't deny it, Roma seriously needs some help.

I've tried to make her work since she was released, sure she's tanky, sure she's got great concealment, and sure she is agile; but all of this is voided due to her guns. Roma relies on her main guns to do damage, the secondaries are near useless and the AA is not impressive, but the main guns can't hit a damn thing to save their life. I recently had a derpy co-op game where I got into a 3 km knife fight with an Amagi. Each of the 5 salvos I fired in this duel; 3 of 9 shells hit and there would be two pens and one overpen. Roma can't even win a knife fight with an AMAGI, that's quite sad to be honest. I also had a broadside Cleveland and Charles Martel and to literally no one's surprise, Roma couldn't hit anything but the water and super structure.

Honestly, I see no justification in this, none of her strengths matter at all if the guns can't hit a damn thing. If they won't buff her now, at least buff her when the Italian BB line comes out. This ship has been gathering rust in my port for a good reason, she's just frustrating, not fun and certainly not worth $50.

I've regretted my purchase of Roma since day one, and I'm just shocked that she has gone this long with not a single mention of a buff or tweak. Need I also mention Wargaming has her advertised in the Armada episode and Premium Shop as "boasting good ballistics" this may just be some of the biggest false advertising I have ever seen and one of the biggest jokes I've seen, unless the "good ballistics" is meant to apply to the arcs and shell velocity which are good but the dispersion is about a country mile from average.

Truthfully, I complain about Roma to vent my anger towards her, deep down I doubt she will ever be buffed, and will forever be mediocre but I'd like to put it to a vote here. Hopefully the Littorio, once the BB line comes out, will have better performance than her subpar sister.

Roma isn't a traditional battleship.  Roma is all about area control.  Unfortunately for you, she statistically performs above-the-fold for T8 battleships, so she's not going to be receiving any buffs any time soon.  That said, to perform well with the Roma, you have to understand and embrace these three concepts:

1. Do not shoot at cruisers less than 10-12km in front of you.  The Roma's guns have too high velocity and too much penetration below that, and they'll just punch through the armor of pretty much every cruiser out there.  Against BB's this isn't much of an issue, and against Destroyers her accuracy can be sketchy at best.  But one of the primary jobs of a BB is to attack enemy cruisers, and if you have two of them in front of you - one at 8km and another at 14km - it's actually better to engage the 14km cruiser.
  2. Spotter plane is your friend.  Roma has the now second best penetration at range for a T8 battleship (just below the Vladivostok), but this is limited by her paltry range of 18.12km.  She also has the fastest time-to-target of all T8 battleships.  Your strength with long range shots is a combination of superb penetration and blistering muzzle velocity.  You may not land your shots into the citadel like you want to, but any hit on a battleship at 21km (with spotter plane) is going to send them in the opposite direction of the cap.  This allows the Roma to play a bit of crowd control, and is the only battleship I've found where this mysteriously occurs.  Once you realize this, you'll realize just how much you have control over an engagement.
  3. Expect inconsistent connection results.  Don't get flustered because you didn't get a citadel.  Like I mentioned above, the strength of the Roma is really in her muzzle velocity.  She may not get the super sweet connections, but she will hit targets other battleships can't.  This is really important because that damage will even out over time.  Additionally, it also has the effect of area control, because no one likes getting hit. 

Putting it all together, the Roma is all about area control.  She can hit targets at long range that other ships can't.  And because of this, she can prevent an enemy battleship from being able to support its teammates.  You may not be able to rely on her to damage your target effectively, but you can rely on her to control who comes into a cap.  Remember that.  Once you understand that and see that it actually happens, you realize you can control a game very effectively and improve your win rate significantly.

• Cool 2

[DJC]
Members
14 posts
2,574 battles
On 1/5/2020 at 1:10 PM, Ranari said:

Roma isn't a traditional battleship.  Roma is all about area control.  Unfortunately for you, she statistically performs above-the-fold for T8 battleships, so she's not going to be receiving any buffs any time soon.  That said, to perform well with the Roma, you have to understand and embrace these three concepts:

1. Do not shoot at cruisers less than 10-12km in front of you.  The Roma's guns have too high velocity and too much penetration below that, and they'll just punch through the armor of pretty much every cruiser out there.  Against BB's this isn't much of an issue, and against Destroyers her accuracy can be sketchy at best.  But one of the primary jobs of a BB is to attack enemy cruisers, and if you have two of them in front of you - one at 8km and another at 14km - it's actually better to engage the 14km cruiser.
  2. Spotter plane is your friend.  Roma has the now second best penetration at range for a T8 battleship (just below the Vladivostok), but this is limited by her paltry range of 18.12km.  She also has the fastest time-to-target of all T8 battleships.  Your strength with long range shots is a combination of superb penetration and blistering muzzle velocity.  You may not land your shots into the citadel like you want to, but any hit on a battleship at 21km (with spotter plane) is going to send them in the opposite direction of the cap.  This allows the Roma to play a bit of crowd control, and is the only battleship I've found where this mysteriously occurs.  Once you realize this, you'll realize just how much you have control over an engagement.
  3. Expect inconsistent connection results.  Don't get flustered because you didn't get a citadel.  Like I mentioned above, the strength of the Roma is really in her muzzle velocity.  She may not get the super sweet connections, but she will hit targets other battleships can't.  This is really important because that damage will even out over time.  Additionally, it also has the effect of area control, because no one likes getting hit. 

Putting it all together, the Roma is all about area control.  She can hit targets at long range that other ships can't.  And because of this, she can prevent an enemy battleship from being able to support its teammates.  You may not be able to rely on her to damage your target effectively, but you can rely on her to control who comes into a cap.  Remember that.  Once you understand that and see that it actually happens, you realize you can control a game very effectively and improve your win rate significantly.

You make very valid points, and Roma has her strengths. I already knew for a fact that when she does hit the target, it's more of a knock out punch to the shadow realm rather than an uppercut like most BBs, the lolpen is hilarious at times. Even after all this time however, her accuracy still leaves you muttering the biggest "ugh" of your life. At this point however, I'm just coming to accept it, the ship is performing well numbers wise so I doubt they'll touch her. Still, I love to imagine how beautiful she'd be with her old 1.9 sigma, I just hope the tech tree Italian BBs show a tad bit more consistency at the higher tiers, perhaps Littorio could have more accurate guns and less concealment or more sluggish rudder shift? I don't know, when Roma does perform well, I do have fun in the ship in all honesty, but a lot of the time Roma just doesn't feel like being nice, it's pretty much a love-hate relationship :Smile_teethhappy: