Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
reaper_swpz

So those flak bursts

5 comments in this topic

Members
1,070 posts
7,065 battles

Noticed something strange from T6 to T8+

Based on my understanding (and the wiki entry), flak bursts only occur from 3.5-max range, inside that bubble they should not spawn. As such it's generally simple to dodge them simply by changing speeds and drifting. Now, a phenomena I've encountered after T8 is... they spawn inside. Say I can be within 1-2km lining up a DB attack, suddenly an entire wall of flak clouds (1-max) can appear in front of the attack and completely wipe the flight. In some cases I can have a DB attack right on top of a target (single ship, no other ships in range) about to drop and suddenly have 1-3 flak clouds spawn on that squadron and wipe them out completely.

This never happened in T6-7 but seems to happen regularly at T8-10 which explains why AA suddenly goes from "can dodge" into "randomly impossible to dodge", what's the deal?  Lag? Delay in spawning? Do flak clouds still spawn even within 3.5 if you boosted to get into that range?

Edited by reaper_swpz

[WOLFX]
Members
238 posts
10,984 battles

I think that if your squadron is still flying within the flak zone, flak can spawn in front of you, even if that's not in the "flak zone." So, I think the flak minimum and maximum range is where the planes have to be when the flak timer ticks in order for flak clouds to spawn, and is not a restriction on where the flak clouds themselves can spawn.

[-TXT-]
Members
309 posts
5,259 battles

In my experience, this often happens with ships running Defensive Fire. 

I had initially assumed that the game ran out of space to put the Flak, so it just clusters in a wall at the cut off point.  However, it seems that the Defensive Fire consumable's 300% Flak power increase causes it to overwhelmingly spawn and take up all available space.

The old Priority Sector acted like a haste buff that spawned more clouds, not just making the dodgable clouds hit harder.  I believe the new Defensive Fire does the same.

[JASH]
Supertester
237 posts
7,215 battles

It's most likely happening because it's the flak of a different ship within range.

Members
1,070 posts
7,065 battles
9 hours ago, tmGrunty said:

It's most likely happening because it's the flak of a different ship within range.

I had thought so too until it also happened attacking ships that I know for sure are alone - say the last ship in the game.

"I got you now" *random flak spread spawns while dropping* "welp".

Say with a MIdway, full strength squadron, attack lining up past flak clouds then suddenly every plane becomes yellow->red-> vanishes.

--

DFAA might be it, I'm not sure as it's random far as I can tell. It's hard for me to replicate as when I'm not in a CV and using priority sector or DFAA the bursts are everywhere and I can't make heads or tails of their spawn patterns. Haven't noticed them spawning above me on a dropping squadron though.

Edited by reaper_swpz

Sign in to follow this