Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
3r22r

Decisions, decisions

9 comments in this topic

[1813]
Members
300 posts
7,413 battles

December 26 I got a 25% coupon in the armory for ships in ressources and I cant decide between Smolensk and Thunderer

I find myself more a DD and cruiser guy but since next coupon is in June 2020, well... don't want to make a mistake, last time I got Georgia and I don't play it very often.

Wich of the 2... I have 410 000 Coal and Smolensk cost 180 000coal with coupon so I am short 10 000 for Thunderer so, any idea?

[SYN]
Members
8,177 posts
13,701 battles

Buy the more expensive of the two with the coupon then just grind out a little coal and get the other. Bam, then you have both!

• Cool 1

[NG-NL]
Members
148 posts
7,954 battles
1 hour ago, 3r22r said:

I cant decide between Smolensk and Thunderer

I find myself more a DD and cruiser guy but since next coupon is in June 2020, well... don't want to make a mistake, last time I got Georgia and I don't play it very often.

From your profile, it seems you just didn't fall in love with battleship play style so far. You have some great high-tier BBs, so there's not a hole in your fleet that Thunderer would fill. On the other hand, in just the Gearing you played 2 times more battles than you ever played a battleship, and Salem 3 times more than all BBs. If Gartner made one of their grotty quadrants for this game, you'd be in the one with Smolensk.

I considered both ships myself, and thought "of all the ships I play, what do I want more of?" I love the Khabarovsk, Yoshino*, Nürnberg, RN destroyers...and I just got Friesland and oh lordie she's a 4-barreled smile. Bismarck, Jean Bart, Nelson: those are all great ships, but more of that wouldn't bring me more fun. So I used my coupon on Smolensk.

*Yes, I used the previous coupon on Yoshino, and was worried that they'd yank Smolensk before I could get it, but look how it all worked out. You won't miss out on anything either. Get the ship you'll enjoy more in the next 6 months. And maybe look at Yoshino.

[1813]
Members
300 posts
7,413 battles
6 minutes ago, imaginary_b said:

From your profile, it seems you just didn't fall in love with battleship play style so far. You have some great high-tier BBs, so there's not a hole in your fleet that Thunderer would fill. On the other hand, in just the Gearing you played 2 times more battles than you ever played a battleship, and Salem 3 times more than all BBs. If Gartner made one of their grotty quadrants for this game, you'd be in the one with Smolensk.

I considered both ships myself, and thought "of all the ships I play, what do I want more of?" I love the Khabarovsk, Yoshino*, Nürnberg, RN destroyers...and I just got Friesland and oh lordie she's a 4-barreled smile. Bismarck, Jean Bart, Nelson: those are all great ships, but more of that wouldn't bring me more fun. So I used my coupon on Smolensk.

*Yes, I used the previous coupon on Yoshino, and was worried that they'd yank Smolensk before I could get it, but look how it all worked out. You won't miss out on anything either. Get the ship you'll enjoy more in the next 6 months. And maybe look at Yoshino.

6 month is long time before the next 25% coupon, as for the Gearing the only reason I played it was because of a personal challenge then the unique upgrade was a let down, the ship itself really needs an upgrade compared with other DDs that came after it, as for Salem, it was my first Tier X and the learning curve was (and still) steep, Yoshino? I did not read nice things about it, and the ones I saw in games died very fast, very vulnerable.

A big difference from mid-tier to IX-X and from mostrly co-op to random play (WOW is my first on-line game, I was not born with a keyboard in my hands like today's kids)

So far I have 102 ships in my port, but only 3 Tier X

Thanks for the info and happy hollydays:cap_horn:

Members
2,599 posts
7,629 battles

I recently acquired the Jean Bart.  Georgia was "on my mind", but comparing the two of them meant having a ship with twin-gun turrets and I already have several of those (Mutsu, Colorado, Iron Duke, Queen Elizabeth and perhaps others).  I figured the Jean Bart would be a different style of play with her "all forward - or nothing" turrets.  So I chose her for variety.
Nothing "wrong" with either ship as far as I can tell.  Just choose what you want.  :-)

[1813]
Members
300 posts
7,413 battles
19 hours ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I recently acquired the Jean Bart.  Georgia was "on my mind", but comparing the two of them meant having a ship with twin-gun turrets and I already have several of those (Mutsu, Colorado, Iron Duke, Queen Elizabeth and perhaps others).  I figured the Jean Bart would be a different style of play with her "all forward - or nothing" turrets.  So I chose her for variety.
Nothing "wrong" with either ship as far as I can tell.  Just choose what you want.  :-)

I am tempted by the dark side ( Smolensk ) but I read good review about Thunderer, and read bad things about Yoshino, only have 5000 Steel so those are out of the question (min. 15 000 Steel) 

As for Jean Bard, I already have Dunkerque so I don't feel the need for another ship with all turrets in the fore end.

• Cool 1

[1813]
Members
300 posts
7,413 battles
On 12/27/2019 at 10:03 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

Right now I am 5000 coal short for buying both actually, but since the next 25% coupon is in June 2020, well I guess I will not wait but then again WG could do something to make me regret my purchase...

I remember they introduced new items shortly after I spent all my coal and THAT made me upset for a while, WG needs to learn about marketing in western countries

• Funny 1

Members
2,599 posts
7,629 battles
1 minute ago, 3r22r said:

Right now I am 5000 coal short for buying both actually, but since the next 25% coupon is in June 2020, well I guess I will not wait but then again WG could do something to make me regret my purchase...

I remember they introduced new items shortly after I spent all my coal and THAT made me upset for a while, WG needs to learn about marketing in western countries

Steel can be used to make-up the difference in coal.

Sign in to follow this