Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Ramsalot

Midway < Graf Zeppelin

4 comments in this topic

Members
2,942 posts
11,377 battles

So, here is my story.  I am not much of a CV player, but I do keep Midway in port for an occasional mission or two.  I tried liking Midway, but I find that I do better in other ship classes, so there's that.  However, one of the BF containers dropped Graf Zeppelin B for me, and I found that I like that ship.  So, some battles later I decided that maybe I do better with CVs now, and tried playing on Midway again.  Well, I did not like it one bit, it's still no fun for me.  Turns out Graf Zeppelin is better CV than Midway.  How can this be?

[GWG]
Members
6,487 posts

Midway has been nerfed to irrelevance.

4 digit damage torpedoes, HE bombs, and withering Tier 10 AA.   Trying to attack a T10 target without any tricks or gimmicks results in zero planes, and no damage done.

Meanwhile, they buffed the Hakuryu planes, and ignored the long-range 5 digit damage stealth torpedoes.

The only thing going for the Midway is the Tiny Tim rockets.  They are good against cruisers and battleships  -- but worthless against DDs.

So there is the trade-off.  Load up with Tiny Tim rockets, and pray it's not a 5 DD/side battle.

Or learn the skip-drop technique,  It's 8KM for the Midway bombers.  At 8KM, LMB and drop immediately.  This catapults you inside the AA ring and lets you drop again before your planes evaporate.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Members
2,133 posts
19,225 battles
28 minutes ago, Ramsalot said:

So, here is my story.  I am not much of a CV player, but I do keep Midway in port for an occasional mission or two.  I tried liking Midway, but I find that I do better in other ship classes, so there's that.  However, one of the BF containers dropped Graf Zeppelin B for me, and I found that I like that ship.  So, some battles later I decided that maybe I do better with CVs now, and tried playing on Midway again.  Well, I did not like it one bit, it's still no fun for me.  Turns out Graf Zeppelin is better CV than Midway.  How can this be?

I don't know much about Midway other than as  @AVR_Project has said about the nerfing, Graf's Planes are in a bad way too, however Graf can turn into a secondary brawler if need be so if the planes fail you just brawl, you wont always win but its blast doing it.

cheers    

Edited by tm63au
  • Cool 1

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,301 posts
11,634 battles
9 hours ago, Ramsalot said:

Graf's planes have speed, at least with the torpedo bombers and dive bombers. The torp bombers drop 3 torps at a time, for 5333 base damage each. and speed is better than toughness when it comes to torpedo bombers.

DIve bombers, not so hot, 7000 damage on a citadel, two at a time, and the part of the squadron that's not attacking hovers in the AA without the damage reduction where they get slaughtered. On the plus side, the attack run is quick, even if the bombs will drop out the drop circle.

Rocket planes, fragile, slow, 4450 base damage (so, about 1100 on a penetrating hit) fired 8 at a time. Nothing to right home about.

Midways planes are all slower, Torp bombers are 5067 damage base, dropped 6 at a time, with a longer arming time and a shorter max range.

Dive bombers, also slower, 11200 base damage (about 2500 per penetrating hit) dropped 6 at a time, with a longer attack run and bigger drop ellipse.

Rocket planes, are actually faster, 2000 base damage (about 500 on a penetrating hit, fired 30 at a time, or 5400 base  damage (1350 on a pen or so) fired 9 at a time. Speed might work against them when hitting DD's.

Graf deals with T10 AA better than any other T8 CV, and can even get into non-T10 games, where her planes will seem even faster, and if you get bored, there's always secondaries.

Sign in to follow this