You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
HrimfaxiCaptain

Choosing to Uptier a Ships Matchmaking- an Interesting Idea for a Future System

9 comments in this topic

Members
9 posts
8,048 battles

Hi everyone, I would like you the community and the devs to hear out an idea of mine for World of Warships.

I play low tier a lot and enjoy it, but I would like the gameplay to change a bit. My favorite ship in the game is the Yubari, and I also love using the Mikasa. However, I feel like I want more of a challenge with my Yubari, as while the Yubari is squishy, she is a superb destroyer hunter, as her 140mm guns with Aiming Systems Mod. 0 are among, if not the, most accurate guns in the game (at least according to my limited research), not to mention hard hitting against destroyers. However, I would like to face more challenging destroyers. On the other hand, Mikasa is super hard to find games in, as well as Mikasa having better AP performance against higher tier light cruiser armor schemes than same tier protected cruisers (due to them being big and boxy above the waterline as opposed to waterline turtleback-ish), as well as poor dispersion being less acute due to facing larger ships.

What I would like to see is a system to allow players to choose to uptier their ships to give them a new challenge and new gameplay experience. It could be as simple as a pull down tab to select the (higher) tier you want your ship to play at, and the matchmaker just redesignates your ship as that tier. Or it could be the same as above, but a separate random battle queue from normal to prevent trolls from ruining too many random battles.

My reasons for proposing this are three. One is that low tiers (below tier V) aren’t exactly popular, and those ships don’t get as much play. Another is that a fair number of the ships down there, such as the Yubari, historically fought alongside and against ships that are tier VI, VII, and VIII, which is something I want to experience. My last reason is due to the arrival of of submarines in the game in the future, and many low tier light cruisers and destroyers will not get to experience hunting submarines despite doing so in real life and being potentially useful at it in game.

Why not just fail division up? Because nobody is willing to do so with me. 

As for balancing these ships to make them able to compete when uptiered, just give them access to the equipment slots of the tier they are uptiered to. Or do it only to certain ships, like the Yubari, and change their health pool, reload, or in her case, get rid of the citadel. Another way to prevent super trolling is limiting uptiering to just two tiers above a ships current tier. Tiers VIII, IX and X would not be able to be uptiered due to doing nothing to their matchmaking ceiling.

Anyway, I hope the community finds this an interesting subject and I hope you see this as well. Thanks.

Sincerely, 

HrimfaxiCaptain

P.S. 

I am having trouble deciding which 1 M free XP ship to get first (when I eventually get the XP). Torn between Friesland (Dutch, very good, cool design, BUT no torps) and the Azuma (cool name, cool design, powerful if played right). Any advice (possibly based on analysis of my profile)? Thanks. Also, if you ever want to hear what ships I would like to see in the game, I have plenty of unique ideas. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WORX]
Members
12,638 posts
19,879 battles
7 minutes ago, HrimfaxiCaptain said:

My reasons for proposing this are three. One is that low tiers (below tier V) aren’t exactly popular,

The 0.8. patch series was never popular... You still have a healthy by thinning population at tiers 4 and 5...

If you want a challenge just play a torp DD at any tier..

Your suggestion is not recommended with the current parameters in place.

Members
923 posts
6,400 battles
26 minutes ago, throwawayforumalt said:

they already do this. you frequently see ships 2 tiers higher. it's getting them to NOT double uptier ships, now that's the problem.

It’s really not a problem. 

But allowing people to push past the +2/-2 MM is not a good idea. I think the MM would struggle extremely hard to creat even teams if one guy in his tier 4 could suddenly decide we want tier 10 MM. 

[-KAK-]
Members
612 posts
12,648 battles

It's an interesting idea. Unfortunately, I see three issues:
1) Most of the (Vocal?) playerbase wants less uptiering, not more. See the changes made to MM just this year, attempting to level out the number of games that you have bottom tier (Whether or not it succeeded without destroying MM at other tiers is up for debate)
2) The current MM aims to match Type & Tier for all ships - Meaning that a T5 cruiser on one team has a T5 cruiser on the other - If you uptiered yourself, how would that affect your opponents? (It's also worth asking how it affects your team - Do you want to be playing T8 or T9 with a T5 ship on your team?)
3) Some ships are just straight up not designed to be up tiered. Look at how Omahas fair in T7 battles (Hint - If I'm a T7 BB, they're target numero uno, and a decent candidate for a dev strike), or how T7 ships tend to handle T9 in general. Then there's the issue of AA (Which straight up isn't remotely balanced across the tier gaps)

I will say that I like the idea (There are some ships that I'd be perfectly comfortable doing this in), but I don't think it'll happen. If the game's population was 10x bigger? Maybe. Maybe you'd get enough crazies like me to make a go of it. Right now, it's just not viable though.

Members
9 posts
8,048 battles

My point with this is not that the uptiering of a ship would still have it as the same tier, rather it would override traditional matchmaking classification to have it classified as a different tier, e.g. taking a tier 4 and reclassifying it as a tier 5 or 6 in the matchmaker, thus not affecting how the matchmaker works in terms of making games harder to set up. 

[CYNIC]
Members
2,910 posts
7,757 battles
4 hours ago, HrimfaxiCaptain said:
Spoiler

Hi everyone, I would like you the community and the devs to hear out an idea of mine for World of Warships.

I play low tier a lot and enjoy it, but I would like the gameplay to change a bit. My favorite ship in the game is the Yubari, and I also love using the Mikasa. However, I feel like I want more of a challenge with my Yubari, as while the Yubari is squishy, she is a superb destroyer hunter, as her 140mm guns with Aiming Systems Mod. 0 are among, if not the, most accurate guns in the game (at least according to my limited research), not to mention hard hitting against destroyers. However, I would like to face more challenging destroyers. On the other hand, Mikasa is super hard to find games in, as well as Mikasa having better AP performance against higher tier light cruiser armor schemes than same tier protected cruisers (due to them being big and boxy above the waterline as opposed to waterline turtleback-ish), as well as poor dispersion being less acute due to facing larger ships.

What I would like to see is a system to allow players to choose to uptier their ships to give them a new challenge and new gameplay experience. It could be as simple as a pull down tab to select the (higher) tier you want your ship to play at, and the matchmaker just redesignates your ship as that tier. Or it could be the same as above, but a separate random battle queue from normal to prevent trolls from ruining too many random battles.

My reasons for proposing this are three. One is that low tiers (below tier V) aren’t exactly popular, and those ships don’t get as much play. Another is that a fair number of the ships down there, such as the Yubari, historically fought alongside and against ships that are tier VI, VII, and VIII, which is something I want to experience. My last reason is due to the arrival of of submarines in the game in the future, and many low tier light cruisers and destroyers will not get to experience hunting submarines despite doing so in real life and being potentially useful at it in game.

Why not just fail division up? Because nobody is willing to do so with me. 

As for balancing these ships to make them able to compete when uptiered, just give them access to the equipment slots of the tier they are uptiered to. Or do it only to certain ships, like the Yubari, and change their health pool, reload, or in her case, get rid of the citadel. Another way to prevent super trolling is limiting uptiering to just two tiers above a ships current tier. Tiers VIII, IX and X would not be able to be uptiered due to doing nothing to their matchmaking ceiling.

Anyway, I hope the community finds this an interesting subject and I hope you see this as well. Thanks.

Sincerely, 

HrimfaxiCaptain

P.S. 

I am having trouble deciding which 1 M free XP ship to get first (when I eventually get the XP). Torn between Friesland (Dutch, very good, cool design, BUT no torps) and the Azuma (cool name, cool design, powerful if played right). Any advice (possibly based on analysis of my profile)? Thanks. Also, if you ever want to hear what ships I would like to see in the game, I have plenty of unique ideas. 

Believe it or not, some people play to win.  I don't want a team  comprised of any ships such as that, least of all so you can have "fun".  Go to a training room and fight whatever you want.  Have you considered that  the experience you're having in low tiers might be due to the fact that a sizable amount of the players down there, belong there?  The player base went nuts over the NTC idea because it would be turning T10 ships into the equivalent of 11s and 12s.

Play more T7 and see how you do against competent 9s, or just run in training rooms.

Members
9 posts
8,048 battles
30 minutes ago, NoSoMo said:

Believe it or not, some people play to win.  I don't want a team  comprised of any ships such as that, least of all so you can have "fun".  Go to a training room and fight whatever you want.  Have you considered that  the experience you're having in low tiers might be due to the fact that a sizable amount of the players down there, belong there?  The player base went nuts over the NTC idea because it would be turning T10 ships into the equivalent of 11s and 12s.

Play more T7 and see how you do against competent 9s, or just run in training rooms.

I am perfectly aware of the points you have brought up. I specifically said in my post to maybe make a separate battle queue in order to avoid messing with standard randoms matchmaking.

As for going to the training room, I’ve done that for quite some time, but like low tiers, the population is low and no one wants to play with me. Also, even the hardest bots are easy to play against. 

[5D8]
Members
193 posts
20,409 battles

this is not sustainable. i dont see the masses in a t4 (yubari is 4 i think?) ships going to t8-10 thinking they're amazing at their ship, and then have to deal w/ infinitely better ships (even if played by poor players)

I do however think ranked should be 2 tiers (not the 2 up 2 down), not 1. I think 7/8, 8/9, or 9/10. plenty of good options there for people in a ship they can play well that isnt a HUGE gap. I think my musashi would do ok against 10's in ranked. it does in regular random.