Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
_Rumple_

Gorizia

8 comments in this topic

Members
1,526 posts
10,950 battles

Gorizia is your typical Italian cruiser, so no surprises here. I do miss the torps, but the hydro can be handy at times, although, if you're generally that close, it could go sour fast. Couple Gorizia with Luigi Sansonetti will get you the range, along with a spotter plane, that you need to keep others at range. Gorizia has good agility, as long as you keep an eye on what battleship might be aiming at you. Would I recommend it? Yes, and no. It really doesn't bring anything particularly new to the table but...for increasing your progress toward Puerto Rico, it makes the grind monumentally easier. It takes a while to get the hang of Italian cruisers, so if you're new, much like british light cruisers, I'd advise you to pass on this one until you gain more experience. If you like playing cruisers, this, like the entire line, is a challenge that your may enjoy.

Be warned, below is not your typical game, results vary based on if you make a mistake...aka, bad positioning, out of cover etc. However, this is one of my better games, and I'm enjoying the line immensely.

shot-19.12.16_05.13.12-0744.jpg

shot-19.12.16_05.13.06-0819.jpg

shot-19.12.16_05.13.19-0858.jpg

shot-19.12.16_05.13.30-0812.jpg

• Cool 1

Members
2,914 posts
5,646 battles

I haven't done it in PvP yet, but the odd thing is how the hydro changes gameplay for Italian cruisers. One of the biggest mistakes people make playing Italian cruisers is to get stuck in too far, get focused, realize the mistake, pop smoke, and try to get away... but they can't resist one last salvo. Then they're in their smoke... but their detection penalty from gun bloom means they're still visible... only they can't see anyone shooting at them now. 

Having German hydro will help with that a little.

Members
36 posts
8,209 battles

Got any tips for shot placement/target selection?

Im using the Gorizia, getting 7/8 pens and getting 5-7k salvos on everything from DDs to BBs.

I had one 10k salvo from 5 pens on a Scharnhorst, but that seems to be the exception and not the rule.

Members
1,526 posts
10,950 battles
17 hours ago, Edge_O_Insanity said:

Got any tips for shot placement/target selection?

Im using the Gorizia, getting 7/8 pens and getting 5-7k salvos on everything from DDs to BBs.

I had one 10k salvo from 5 pens on a Scharnhorst, but that seems to be the exception and not the rule.

Target selection: most definately any DD in range. SAP just wrecks them. Superstructure of BB's, and AP on any cruiser heavy or light that is close and showing broadside. I think all the Italian cruisers are particularly good at staying near islands and ambushing broadside cruisers with AP, then using the smoke to evade around the same or nearby island.

[P-V-E]
Members
1,476 posts

I have stopped using her AP, it seams to have the same qualities as the shells of PEF, over-pen or bounce with very little separating the two.

on the other hand her SAP I find very reliable vs everything at any range. 

[70]
Members
1,212 posts
6,662 battles

I initially played it like a British cruiser.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH EPIC FAILURES...

Then I played her like a Pensacola with actually good accuracy but no fires. This was the pressing of the I WIN button as far as I can tell.

Anything broadside that's not a DD gets AP if possible, the switch time isn't that hard if you have an eye on the minimap. The agility is enough to lolbounce anything that doesn't lolpen (aka anything shy of a battleship calibre gun) and even BBs will have a hard time actually hitting you at ranges where you can take 20-30K off them within like 1 minute flat with SAP... or AP if they're dumb enough to show side.

The flexibility is excellent. Just make sure that if possible, stay outside 8.5 km if you are in open water, or at least remember to not shoot again if you smoke while at less range than that (unless you're certain you can finish the guy spotting you).

Gorizia is godly if you can aim well, because the accuracy is excellent. High skill ceiling, low skill floor, unlike, say, the Lyon which is just lots of spray and pray fun.

Members
2,914 posts
5,646 battles
17 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

I initially played it like a British cruiser.

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH EPIC FAILURES...

Then I played her like a Pensacola with actually good accuracy but no fires. This was the pressing of the I WIN button as far as I can tell.

Anything broadside that's not a DD gets AP if possible, the switch time isn't that hard if you have an eye on the minimap. The agility is enough to lolbounce anything that doesn't lolpen (aka anything shy of a battleship calibre gun) and even BBs will have a hard time actually hitting you at ranges where you can take 20-30K off them within like 1 minute flat with SAP... or AP if they're dumb enough to show side.

The flexibility is excellent. Just make sure that if possible, stay outside 8.5 km if you are in open water, or at least remember to not shoot again if you smoke while at less range than that (unless you're certain you can finish the guy spotting you).

Gorizia is godly if you can aim well, because the accuracy is excellent. High skill ceiling, low skill floor, unlike, say, the Lyon which is just lots of spray and pray fun.

She is held back by the lack of emergency torpedo alpha and the slow reload, but the high accuracy and great penetration means citadel city on other cruisers. She offers a very rewarding gunnery experience. Having Sansonetti on her gives I think a 3.5 second shell type switch time, which is super useful. 

[70]
Members
1,212 posts
6,662 battles
29 minutes ago, RainbowFartingUnicorn said:

She is held back by the lack of emergency torpedo alpha and the slow reload, but the high accuracy and great penetration means citadel city on other cruisers. She offers a very rewarding gunnery experience. Having Sansonetti on her gives I think a 3.5 second shell type switch time, which is super useful. 

I'm speaking from the perspective of someone who just won the ship through the directives. The only captain skills I have on it are Priority Target and Last Stand.

I look forward to having Superintendent and more importantly CE and Expert Marksman. I expect it will be even more OP then.

Edited by Guardian54

Sign in to follow this