Sign in to follow this  
yamato4745

Thunderer vs Yamato

5 comments in this topic

Members
6 posts
5,839 battles

Was thinking about getting the Thunderer, but already have the Yamato.  Both seem like accurate sniper ships, just wondering if they are that similar and if Thunderer is worth getting if I already have the Yamato?  Thanks.

Members
9 posts
10,339 battles
1 hour ago, yamato4745 said:

Was thinking about getting the Thunderer, but already have the Yamato.  Both seem like accurate sniper ships, just wondering if they are that similar and if Thunderer is worth getting if I already have the Yamato?  Thanks.

I got the thunderer a couple of days ago and I have most T10 ships and it's by far my favourite BB.  Agile, amazing guns, good heal. Just watch those IFHE 32mm pen spammers.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
23,720 posts
21,154 battles

Their strengths and weaknesses are very different.  Yamato's got Overmatch and staying power.  Thunderer has stealth, mobility, and accurate, fast reloading 457s.

Yamato's 460s have true Overmatch advantages over even the 457mm armed BBs in the game.  460mm can Overmatch for example, 32mm armor while 457mm can't.

32mm bows.

32mm deck, bow, etc. armor sections that literally cover High Tier French and Royal Navy Battleships.

Yamato's 460s will Overmatch them all while the 457mm guns of Kremlin, Thunderer, Ohio, Georgia can't.

Thunderer plays more favorably a game of movement and opportunistic stealth.  She sails much better, has better rudder shift, and has great concealment.

Yamato can be spotted pretty far, her max speed is 27kts, and she's not the most agile out there.

But if the respective ships are getting hit, Yamato has definitely better staying power.  Thunderer has a vulnerable citadel, as does Yamato if you catch her from the side or can get that "chin" of her Citadel.  But if managed to protect her citadel, Yamato has tons of HP, quite a bit more than Thunderer.  In addition, Yamato has a 58mm deck armor which is very resistant to all but the largest, strongest HE shells.  Light Cruiser HE spam, normal 203mm HE Spam can't Peentrate that thick deck armor of Yamato and those spammers will rely on Fires a lot more against you.  Better to deal with that instead of Fire AND raw HE Penetration damage combined.

Conqueror which Thunderer is based off of, was never a BB to withstand a lot of damage in a short time span.  If she can't disengage and go back into Stealth, or find cover to break LOS, she was in trouble because of the low HP pool.  The 32mm armor made her susceptible to HE DPM attacks.  But Conqueror has a Super-Amazing-Mega-Repair Party that literally prints a new hull.  Thunderer doesn't have that, hers is closer to normal.

I used my Conqueror quite a bit for Randoms, and honestly, getting focused by DD Gunboats and Cruisers was my greatest concern, not other BBs.  With the low HP (for a Tier X BB) and 32mm armor all over the place, you are an HE Spammer's Wet Dream and you will quickly bleed HP.  Thunderer can expect the same.

Thunderer has a great ace up her sleeve though... Fast reloading 457mm guns.  Base reload time is 26 seconds.  For the gun size, that's already fantastic.  But throw on MBM3 upgrade?  22.9 seconds!

Both ships have powerful HE & AP capability.  But Thunderer, if she has to sling HE, has Mega HE shells with high RN BB HE damage and a whopping 63% fire chance.  Don't ignore the AP though.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[FTH]
Members
34 posts
12,925 battles

It's best to engage Yamato in Thunderer at extreme ranges. Yamato over matches your deck and your quickly learn you can be cit at any angle or range but the further you are from her the better chance you have to dodge the incoming shells.  Thunderer is one of my fav ships Broke 300k in her twice in less than a week this Jan. Use the HE on everything at range when you get close and its a cruiser you swap to AP and you over match basically everything its an evil ship.

For security reasons, please do not provide your personal data or the personal data of a third party here because we might be unable to protect such data in accordance with the Wargaming Privacy Policy.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this