Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Requesting Penetration Stats for Bombs and Rockets

3 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
10,704 posts
12,355 battles

I have been looking around and can’t seem to find info on the pen values of AP bombs, HE Bombs, and Rockets. Which while such info would be helpful to have for CV players, I am very interested in it for defense values of surface ships.

Like for example the Azuma, back in RTS CVs I took IJN AP bombers out and obliterated most of the HP of an Azuma that was being used by a tester while in testing. Who then skillfully  proceeded to pull back and thankfully for him his team moved up to shield him. But it did cost him the ability to do as much as he might of in that battle. And I saw Azuma suffer the same vulnerability to AP Bombs on many other occasions while it was in testing.

So it would be really good to know the air dropped ordnance pen values so that the potential danger can be taken into consideration based on the deck armor and citadel deck armor values. Like I will be getting Yoshino in few days, and it has 30mm deck armor, plus I think an additional 100mm+ of citadel deck armor. And while the stock AA guns are ok, if the deck armor was major vulnerability I might want to invest in AA improvements to lessen the risks of a CV being able to score some good hits through the deck. And with other CAs being added that might also have the possibility of weak deck armor, having some solid data would be good. Because at the moment all I know is that these days the deck armor of BBs seems to be holding up far better against AP Bombs than back in RTS CV days. And even back then Yamato class BB deck armor had much higher AP bomb shatter rate or possibly was possibly even AP bomb proof.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,591 posts
10,798 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

back in RTS CVs I took IJN AP bombers

I think you mean USN - IJN didn't have AP under RTS, only USN and GZ.

That aside -

AP bomb pen appears to be variable, much like a shell. Angle of impact, drop height, etc. To date when playing IJN CV's (as now only they, GZ and I think E have them) I have yet to find a ship that is 'bomb proof' when dealing with them. Even USN and other ships I had issues with under RTS I can citadel now. I don't have a full handle on it with some of the weirdness and the fact it can change, but generally seems like higher drop = higher pen, or the reverse of what shells do. The 'holding up better' is I think the result of players still adapting to new gameplay and AP bombs are nowhere near as damaging as they once were (a citadel hit now is closer to a penetrating hit or two under RTS from USN).

As to HE - that's actually listed in game. The numbers I can give you

• 5" FFAR - 27 mm
  • AN-M64 500 lb bomb - 42mm
  • 5" HVAR - 33 mm
  • AN-M65 1000 lb bomb - 53 mm
  • AN-M66 2000 lb bomb - 67 mm
  • Tiny Tim - 68 mm
  • 3" RP-3 (18 lb) - 20 mm
  • 40 lb GP bomb - 18 mm
  • 6" RP-3 (60 lb) - 26 mm
  • 250 lb GP bomb - 32 mm
  • 6" RP-3 SAP (60 lb) - 27 mm
  • 500 lb GP bomb - 41 mm
  • Type 3 no 6 - 28 mm
  • Type 5 no 6 - 30 mm

[RKLES]
Members
10,704 posts
12,355 battles
1 minute ago, WanderingGhost said:

I think you mean USN - IJN didn't have AP under RTS, only USN and GZ.

That aside -

AP bomb pen appears to be variable, much like a shell. Angle of impact, drop height, etc. To date when playing IJN CV's (as now only they, GZ and I think E have them) I have yet to find a ship that is 'bomb proof' when dealing with them. Even USN and other ships I had issues with under RTS I can citadel now. I don't have a full handle on it with some of the weirdness and the fact it can change, but generally seems like higher drop = higher pen, or the reverse of what shells do. The 'holding up better' is I think the result of players still adapting to new gameplay and AP bombs are nowhere near as damaging as they once were (a citadel hit now is closer to a penetrating hit or two under RTS from USN).

As to HE - that's actually listed in game. The numbers I can give you

• 5" FFAR - 27 mm
  • AN-M64 500 lb bomb - 42mm
  • 5" HVAR - 33 mm
  • AN-M65 1000 lb bomb - 53 mm
  • AN-M66 2000 lb bomb - 67 mm
  • Tiny Tim - 68 mm
  • 3" RP-3 (18 lb) - 20 mm
  • 40 lb GP bomb - 18 mm
  • 6" RP-3 (60 lb) - 26 mm
  • 250 lb GP bomb - 32 mm
  • 6" RP-3 SAP (60 lb) - 27 mm
  • 500 lb GP bomb - 41 mm
  • Type 3 no 6 - 28 mm
  • Type 5 no 6 - 30 mm

Come to think of it, I think your right it was USN that used to have the AP. And thank you for this list.

Sign in to follow this